Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you feel comfortable flying the new 737-8/9 max given Boeings safety bulletin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you feel comfortable flying the new 737-8/9 max given Boeings safety bulletin?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It appears Boeing withheld crucial information about a new automated stall-prevention system, which could be hazardous.
In view of that, how do you feel about flying the 737 MAX family?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bo...say-2018-11-12
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I would not feel comfortable.
lhrsfo likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:36 am

“It’s pretty asinine for them to put a system on an airplane and not tell the pilots who are operating the airplane, especially when it deals with flight controls,” said Capt. Mike Michaelis, chairman of the safety committee for the Allied Pilots Association, which represents about 15,000 American Airlines pilots. “Why weren’t they trained on it?”

A similar scenario happened with another crash I watched on one of those air crash investigation documentaries, except I believe it was the airline that didn't do the training on a new system.

I can imagine the question on a customer service questionnaire: "How important is it that your pilot is fully trained on the aircraft they are flying? Choose one: Not At All Important, Somewhat Important, Quite Important, Very Important, Extremely Important - what are you f...... kidding me?!?!?!
altabello likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:49 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
No. I tend to not like flying on brand new aircraft. I still won't fly on the A380 and that has been around what, 10 years if not more? Though that seems more like a terrorist target (same with the 747).

I suppose I made an exception for the 787. Won't fly on an A350. Eventually I will feel comfortable with all of them (except A380) once the bugs are worked out.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
I suppose I made an exception for the 787.
you mean the plane that from the get-go had issues with the batteries.............
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by DragonSoul

A similar scenario happened with another crash I watched on one of those air crash investigation documentaries, except I believe it was the airline that didn't do the training on a new system.
I have seen every single episode of the show (all its 18 seasons) and that has happened more than once or twice, sometimes a knob is changed from one side to the other in a variant of the plane , pilots change from lets say 737-6 to 737-8 and bang

in another instance, russian pilots had a different policy on what to do when the collision system and traffic control had conflicting instructions ....and this led to a crash ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_%...licting_orders)

then several instances of autopilot being off (or on) when the pilots were not aware of (usually in airbus planes)

you watch enough seasons of the show you can almost predict whats going to happen after you see the signs
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Needless to say, this entire investigation has been "thrilling" given the three sectors I have on Malindo (KUL hq'ed subsidiary of Lion Air) coming up this Dec.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I still won't fly on the A380 and that has been around what, 10 years if not more?
The A380 entered revenue service 11 years ago and is by no means "new." It's been around long enough that the first retirements are being discussed. I don't know what else you're waiting for.

I suppose I made an exception for the 787.
The 787 was / is much more problematic than the A380; it entered service years behind schedule and went through years of expensive, alarming teething. So I don't understand your logic at all.

I do think the MAX is worth avoiding pending definitive updates or fixes. LionAir next of kin are suing Boeing; we will know a lot more in due course.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:19 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by BearX220
The A380 entered revenue service 11 years ago and is by no means "new." It's been around long enough that the first retirements are being discussed. I don't know what else you're waiting for.

The 787 was / is much more problematic than the A380; it entered service years behind schedule and went through years of expensive, alarming teething. So I don't understand your logic at all.

I do think the MAX is worth avoiding pending definitive updates or fixes. LionAir next of kin are suing Boeing; we will know a lot more in due course.
You don't need to understand my logic. It's my opinion, full stop.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:53 am

The age of the A380 is your opinion? Strange.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
DC-9's broken in enough to fly on?

The chance of having issues with any of the aircraft mentioned is orders of magnitudes smaller that that faced when driving to Grandma's for Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:18 am

They are quite rightly pointing out your opinion is completely irrational. That’s particularly ironic for someone who calls themselves DataJunkie.
BearX220 likes this.

Last edited by Productivity; Nov 19, 2018 at 1:11 am
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:29 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
No. I tend to not like flying on brand new aircraft. I still won't fly on the A380 and that has been around what, 10 years if not more? Though that seems more like a terrorist target (same with the 747).

I suppose I made an exception for the 787. Won't fly on an A350. Eventually I will feel comfortable with all of them (except A380) once the bugs are worked out.
A380 is a terrorist target ? O_o

And you won't fly an A350 compared to the the B787 who was grounded in its first year and is currently under restrictions due to engine issues ?

After reading the article I would not fly the 737MAX, I am awaiting the full report.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I'll still fly the 7M8/9.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:59 pm

No, I'd worry more about select airlines and their standards as a whole then an individual aircraft model. That being said I may nor may not be holding my breath as Chinese made aircraft come into the market, seeing so many Chinese escalators horror videos has not helped .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.