Reload this Page >

pilots landing harder

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

pilots landing harder

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:33 am

Remember folks, half of all pilots are below average....
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:36 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
For pilots (although I'm only a lowly private pilot), it's a little frustrating for a flight to be judged primarily or only by the "smoothness" of the landing. There are lots of other things that pilots know are better indices of how well a flight was conducted. Moreover, as Badenoch notes, there are more than a few occasions on which you don't want to try for a "smooth landing," but want to firmly plant the plane on the runway headed in the correct direction for rollout (severe crosswind and windshear conditions, for example -- the smooth "floaty" kiss-the-runway landings are an invitation to disaster in such conditions).
cawhite and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:38 am
Original Poster

<metadiscussion removed by moderator>

Anyways, got something from quora:
The plane shouldn’t be landing “very hard”, but a little firm is common. Mostly it’s an industry-wide change in technique and philosophy. Decades ago, pilots valued the “greaser” (a landing you can barely feel), but not so much any more. A greaser, while not necessarily a bad landing, is not the hallmark of a good landing. A good landing is on centerline, on or just past the aim point, and with no drift (sideways movement). Professionally, there is no benefit to a greaser. In fact, a little firmness (but not hard) generally makes for a better landing.

Last edited by JY1024; Nov 6, 2018 at 7:09 pm Reason: Metadiscussion removed by moderator
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
For pilots (although I'm only a lowly private pilot), it's a little frustrating for a flight to be judged primarily or only by the "smoothness" of the landing. There are lots of other things that pilots know are better indices of how well a flight was conducted. Moreover, as Badenoch notes, there are more than a few occasions on which you don't want to try for a "smooth landing," but want to firmly plant the plane on the runway headed in the correct direction for rollout (severe crosswind and windshear conditions, for example -- the smooth "floaty" kiss-the-runway landings are an invitation to disaster in such conditions).
That's the case in all professions nowadays, as customers don't know what is good or bad. Take wine, for example. People like a nice bottle (i.e. glass design), and have no idea whether something is good or bad quality. For doctors patients only care how nice they are. Restaurants are all about service, and most patrons prefer mediocre food and good service to good food and mediocre service (if they can even tell the difference). And patrons have no idea whether something is authentic, so often in majority-white areas an authentic ethnic restaurant will open, only to shut if they don't learn to adapt (like Chinese places making orange chicken. I bet they didn't start out wanting to make orange chicken).
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:23 pm

Maybe it's just the ones that stick out now, a product of selective memory. I can think back to having some of each in the past. My roughest was at JFK maybe 7 or 8 years ago. We bounced, I actually felt myself lift up. Seatbelt was on, of course, but you can feel it hold you down. But all was fine. Just a bounce. FA made a face of like "oh, well" and went on with her day.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Last year I flew over 400 flights on various narrowbody and widebody commercial aircraft. This year roughly 40 flights. From what I can recall, I did not notice an increase in harder landings from the past years. It was really a mix of everything.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:44 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Exclamation

Moderator Note:

Some metadiscussion about FlyerTalk and this thread have been removed. A few gentle reminders:

- If you do not enjoy the topic of a thread, please feel free to move along without posting any snark.
- Please be willing to engage and discuss; this is a internet bulletin board - folks will share their own experiences and viewpoints.
- Feel free agree or disagree with a topic; however, do keep things civil and respectful.
- And remember: personal attacks are NOT allowed.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding.
/Moderator
obscure2k likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Nothing has changed in terms of procedures, training, etc. I certainly haven't noticed any overall difference, other than normal minor variations attributable to aircraft type, weather and runway conditions, seat location, etc. There is a degree of subjectivity, too, in passengers' characterization of sensations from things like turbulence and landing.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Haven't noticed any difference in my 30-ish years of fairly regular travel.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Any landing you can walk away from is a good one.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
No change over the last 18 months. >180K miles on AA, AS, UA and WN. Absolutely no discernible patterns.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Funny thread.. BUT.. I did experience two heavy landings in a row.. Both on 737-900s .. yesterday on IAD-ORD and today on ORD-LAX..
Yesterdays was a bouncer.. hit the tarmac pretty hard and we jumped and hit again.. and then a slapper of a nosewheel.

Pretty sure that one would have caused a check to be done.

(but everything else has been smoooooth)
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:54 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
...Pretty sure that one would have caused a check to be done.
I don't know whether you are a pilot or not (and, if so, you can ignore what follows ) , but there are lots of studies over the years that show that non-pilot passengers on commercial flights consistently overestimate
  • The angle of bank
  • The angle of pitch-up/angle of attack
  • The degree of turbulence (the AIM has very precise definitions and it is the relatively rare pilot who ever experiences a case of actually "severe" turbulence.)
  • Whether a landing was hard enough to potentially break something.
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I don't know whether you are a pilot or not (and, if so, you can ignore what follows ) , but there are lots of studies over the years that show that non-pilot passengers on commercial flights consistently overestimate
  • The angle of bank
  • The angle of pitch-up/angle of attack
  • The degree of turbulence (the AIM has very precise definitions and it is the relatively rare pilot who ever experiences a case of actually "severe" turbulence.)
  • Whether a landing was hard enough to potentially break something.
Not a pilot but once was tangentially involved in the industry.
And yes... indeed
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Funny thread.. BUT.. I did experience two heavy landings in a row.. Both on 737-900s .. yesterday on IAD-ORD and today on ORD-LAX..
Yesterdays was a bouncer.. hit the tarmac pretty hard and we jumped and hit again.. and then a slapper of a nosewheel.

Pretty sure that one would have caused a check to be done.

(but everything else has been smoooooth)
That plane is a bad design. It's longer than what a 737 should be. The 757 is a perfect twin engine single aisle plane that can hold lots of people.

The ridiculous length of the 737-900 means the plane must take off at higher speeds (usually not a problem but using more runway unnecessarily is not something I really like), and also must land at higher speeds, which leads to rougher landing. The plane has to take off and land at higher speeds because they can't pull the nose up as much as a normal length 737 without smashing the tail into the ground.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.