Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

pilots landing harder

pilots landing harder

Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:56 am

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
My Southwest landings are always the roughest, especially at BUR, but that's sort of by design.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
There was a while where I was thinking that UA landed their planes much harder than other airlines but I suspect those instances were just coincidental. As long as we're safely on the ground, I suppose.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
What would be considered a hard landing anyway? Or a "harder" landing?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Is it just perception or is there a real difference between the size of the aircraft? It seems a landing is much more perceptible (the "thump" when you touch down) in a 737/A320 than in an A380/777. In an A380 it's almost imperceptible when the plane actually touches down.

Is it just because the aircraft is so large that passengers are much more removed from the landing gears/tires? Or because there are more/larger landing gears?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:50 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
I imagine where you are in the cabin also makes a pretty big difference.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Had a beautiful landing today where you couldn't tell we touched down until the braking started. The flight attendant actually commented on it when she came on the PA, saying it was a beautiful landing.

Such a rarity! A320, narrow-body as well.

I still appreciate those landings. Even though people say they are pointless. Like a beautiful shot in basketball versus a clunker that makes it in
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Had a beautiful landing today where you couldn't tell we touched down until the braking started. The flight attendant actually commented on it when she came on the PA, saying it was a beautiful landing.

Such a rarity! A320, narrow-body as well.

I still appreciate those landings. Even though people say they are pointless. Like a beautiful shot in basketball versus a clunker that makes it in
Clearly this pilot did not fly for the Navy
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I had a pilot who was heavy on the brakes today. One of those long taxis with many stops and starts. BOOM we’d stop, then a jerky start another throw on the brakes stop. We were almost thrown around the cabin.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
If the runway is both short and wet, I prefer a harder landing so that the plane has the full length of runway. If the runway is very long, a gradual smooth landing is preferred.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.