From the news: dog ate passport, couple's honeymoon ruined

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From the news: dog ate passport, couple's honeymoon ruined

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:49 pm
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by wharvey
I really hate how any personal problem becomes a GOFUNDME campaign these days.
As long as there are idiots that will hand over their money other idiots will put up campaigns.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
No sympathy from me. He had 4 years to replace the passport.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by hurnik
What's interesting, is that I'm pretty sure the first time I read the article, travel insurance wasn't mentioned.
But then later, I think their friend is quoted as saying something like "and the insurance won't cover this".

Which actually leads me to the insurance questions:

Let's say you *did* buy Travel Insurance:
1) Would a destroyed/damaged passport in "short-term" (ie, like 30 days or less before you have to travel) be covered?
2) Would ANY destroyed/damaged passport situation be covered (regardless)?
3) If so, would you need certain coverage (Cancel for Any Reason vs. say: Comprehensive)?

I no longer have my doggie anymore, so I don't have to worry about that. Although my sister apparently threw out all their passports when they moved into their new house (or rather I should say they were never found), and had to get expedited replacements, and the plane tickets went up like $200 each by the time they arrived (they were flying Frontier and you needed the passport info to even book). LOL!
I know there is a phrase in my insurance policies which reads "Acts of God" , are there policies that covers "Acts of Dog" ?
hurnik, 84fiero, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
I know there is a phrase in my insurance policies which reads "Acts of God" , are there policies that covers "Acts of Dog" ?
Hmmmm... (okay I'll bite)

That's something to chew over and for insurance companies to get their teeth into.
84fiero, tentseller and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Off topic, but I've yet to see any airline require passport info at booking.
I have encountered it a few times with some non-US airlines and booking sites. Frontier doesn't mandate passport info at the time of booking, though one can optionally enter it at that time.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Hmmmm... (okay I'll bite)

That's something to chew over and for insurance companies to get their teeth into.
I'm sure the partner is now in the doghouse.
84fiero likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I've traveled successfully on some fairly mangled passports, though never one with the corner missing. Nowadays immigration officials at major airports seem to not even glance at it, they just place it on their chip reader and view the details that way.

Closer examination tends to happen at land or train crossings where such technology isn't available, though I always chuckle thinking back to a Polish immigration officer at Terespol who opened my passport on the page of my Russian visa, thought it was the ID page and flipped back and forth between the cover ('Canada') and that page several times as if he was having an out-of-body experience.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:36 pm

A new spin on the classic excuse of "the dog ate my homework"
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
It didn't look all that damaged to me- just a corner missing- but knowing the chances of ending up in front of the ONE Immigration or Border Control official who might object to it, and the likely consequences, I'd never take the chance of trying to get by with it.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The moral of the story is keep your passport in pristine condition. I would not have traveled in the passport shown in the picture and gotten a replacement immediately. Some border officials are quite particular about condition including some in the U.S. and Canada.
84fiero likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Badenoch
The moral of the story is keep your passport in pristine condition. I would not have traveled in the passport shown in the picture and gotten a replacement immediately. Some border officials are quite particular about condition including some in the U.S. and Canada.
Good advice but a bureaucratic nightmare can ensue when one party (be it an immigration official or an airline employee) refuses a particular passport for damage, but then the passport authorities deem it insufficiently damaged to warrant replacement.

Passport Canada, for instance, will replace any passport that has been refused by an immigration officer, but if you've merely been hassled by Canada's own border agency (which of course cannot deny entry to Canadians) for a well-worn passport, they won't replace it unless it is eligible for renewal.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Good advice but a bureaucratic nightmare can ensue when one party (be it an immigration official or an airline employee) refuses a particular passport for damage, but then the passport authorities deem it insufficiently damaged to warrant replacement.

Passport Canada, for instance, will replace any passport that has been refused by an immigration officer, but if you've merely been hassled by Canada's own border agency (which of course cannot deny entry to Canadians) for a well-worn passport, they won't replace it unless it is eligible for renewal.
Like the couple in the original post I've also had a dog chew my passport. The damage was not that much more than what was shown in the news article and Passport Canada immediately agreed to replace it. Had they refused my application I strongly suspect my passport would have a most unfortunate accident rendering it entirely unacceptable. Accidents do happen.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My passport went through the wash when I was in Australia (forgot it was in my pocket). When I got back to the US, they didn't give it a second look. I asked if it was OK, and the immigration guy said it didn't matter to the US passport control people, since they could just look me up in the computer, but other countries might have a problem with it. He suggested I get a new one, and I did.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
At SCL I got pulled aside because of a very faint moisture stain on the top right hand corner of the front of my passport. I got a really good scolding and was asked a bunch of questions. For a spit second I thought I was going to be detained, but they let me go after what felt like 15-20 minutes.

Now when I travel with my passport, I place it in a plastic bag or ziploc bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.