Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Forward Cabin Etiquette: Overhead Bin Space

Forward Cabin Etiquette: Overhead Bin Space

Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:26 am

A reads like a douche, and if A tried that stuff A would probably be met with a counter that bags first need to be placed in the correct bin.

A makes the false assumption that they’re providing logic to the FA, and not grossly inaccurate personal opinion.

Good chance if A really pushed it, they’d be leaving the aircraft in silver bracelets.

In F, I find there’s plenty of room for everyone. If A gets such anxiety about backpacks in the overhead, then maybe it’s time to invoke A’s Air Carrier Access Act rights and just preboard for a mental condition.

Layback likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by jah718
I know this is unrelated to DL, but BA have a policy where if someone has a small piece of hand luggage, they put a yellow tag on it, this means that all yellow tagged bags have to go under the seat.

I am 100% against this, as you are essentially rewarding people for bringing a bigger bag on to the plane. if i want to put my backpack up top, I should be able to do it.
In addition, those without status who pay a fee to check a bag into the hold and bring a small carry are ironically rewarded with lower priority in the overhead bin and less leg room than those who paid nothing and brought a large roller as their carry on. Rammed bins are essentially caused by airlines introducing fees for checking bags in as most pax prefer not to pay and so bring large cabin rollers.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: DL DM (ST E+), AA PM, UA GM
Every so often I find myself on a Regional Jet with not much bin space and invariably the FA announces something to the effect of "please place only the larger item in the overhead bin, and the smaller item under the seat in front of you"

Last edited by TheStrongOne; Oct 24, 2018 at 6:28 am Reason: clarity
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The person across the aisle from me asked me to move my backpack, my only bag, to under my seat. I told him no, but if he needed it moved, he could put it under his seat. He made other accommodations.
BadgerBoi, rickg523 and Layback like this.

Last edited by cayohueso; Oct 24, 2018 at 8:10 am
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:49 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
If I have both my suitcase and my backpack, I put the backpack under the seat. If I only have my backpack, then I put it on the overhead bin. I've had FAs asked me to move my bag in the past, I've smiled back and let them know that this is the only piece of luggage I have.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Almost every flight I've been on the announcement has been made that your small personal item goes under the seat in front of you. The quantity of carry on luggage does not change the type of luggage it is.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jah718
I know this is unrelated to DL, but BA have a policy where if someone has a small piece of hand luggage, they put a yellow tag on it, this means that all yellow tagged bags have to go under the seat.

I am 100% against this, as you are essentially rewarding people for bringing a bigger bag on to the plane. if i want to put my backpack up top, I should be able to do it.
What prevents passengers from ripping off the BA yellow tag in the jetway?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Their Britishness. Would never work in the US.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I asked that at one point because that was my thought initially too - the answer I received on here was apparently it’s a way to ensure a bag will not be gate checked if OH Bin Space runs out and they’re already stopping passengers with bigger bags at the door or gate. So by removing the tag, you could theoretically have your small bag taken out of the OH Bin or taken from you as you board and gate checked.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Ordhater
...although bigger pet peeve that just happened to me last week, the passenger in the window seat put his bag in the center section under the row in front of us, which cut into my legroom...
Pardon me, Mr./Ms. Flight Attendant - there is a unaccompanied bag here. Please get security on board to remove it. Magically, it will find its way to the proper place.
strickerj, Ordhater and Layback like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:10 am

Yeah, sorry, NO. If my backpack is up there, don't effing tell me to put it at my feet. In the front cabin, in the middle cabin, or even tucked into the middle seat at the back of the plain next to the toilet. Ain't happening. You can ask to move it next to the next bin, but if there isn't room. Your problem.

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Pardon me, Mr./Ms. Flight Attendant - there is a unaccompanied bag here. Please get security on board to remove it. Magically, it will find its way to the proper place.
I've had this happen to me. Person in front of me shoved their bag under their seat into my leg space. I told them it should go under the seat in front of them and they protested saying, "Then I have no leg room." I just stared at them for a second hoping they would see the failing in their logic, but they moved it when I pointed out why should I have no leg room because of THEIR bag. Some people are just oblivious.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread is in the Delta forum, why?
longing4piedmont likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to split the difference here. I actually agree with A's philosophy; it's a pet peeve of mine when a non-bulkhead first class passenger puts small bags in the overhead bin (although bigger pet peeve that just happened to me last week, the passenger in the window seat put his bag in the center section under the row in front of us, which cut into my legroom). But I would never actually ask someone to move their bag to under the seat in front of them. The most I would ever do is, if I was on a plane with 2-3 or 3-2 configuration and someone put a small bag on the deeper bin side, ask them if they minded if I moved that bag to the shallow bins on the other side. But even that I would typically leave to the flight attendant.
Serious question - why is this a "pet peeve" of yours? In other words, why is the passenger who brings on a roll-a-board's time worth more than my comfort, in your opinion? My philosophy is I check my roll-a-board so that my one other item (my backpack) can go into the OH bin, thus preserving the (already limited) legroom and comfort for myself (If I don't check my roll-a-board, then I do follow proper etiquette and put one bag under the seat in front of me). If you expect me to put my smaller bag at my feet (when I don't have a bag in the OH bin), you are expecting me to sacrifice my comfort for your convenience. And you get the double win. Your roll-a-board in the OH bin saves you the time of having to go to bag claim and you also get the benefit of having the space under your seat free (unless you also have another bag that you put under the seat in front of you). Meanwhile, I get a double-loss now. I accepted one "loss" by accepting the extra time of having to go to bag claim and wait on my bag (along with possibly having paid to check that bag and also the additional risk of having my bag lost or delayed) and now you've taken away my tradeoff for that by also believing I should be less comfortable.

This may drive more responsive behavior like the behavior I've already employed (and have observed from other FTers stating the same) - that I and others purposely pack their "smaller" items in a way so that it can still only go into the OH bin or just put it in a bigger bag that can't go under the seat so I/we can't be asked to pull it down, even if it means taking up more OH bin space then at the expense of bin space for others. Or since I’m already going to be asked to put my smaller item under the seat anyway, I’ll at least gain the benefit of avoiding bag claim and bring my roll-a—board as well, which again, takes up more OH bin space than my smaller item would have. A bit selfish on my part? Maybe. But it's a responsive behavior to someone else's selfish actions who decided their convenience of 15-20 min should have been worth my discomfort for several hours (fortunately in my case, I already had a small bag under my seat, but nonetheless, being asked to take my item down to make room for others who were too cheap to pay to check a bag caused me to rethink my behavior).
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL - PM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

Serious question - why is this a "pet peeve" of yours? In other words, why is the passenger who brings on a roll-a-board's time worth more than my comfort, in your opinion? My philosophy is I check my roll-a-board so that my one other item (my backpack) can go into the OH bin, thus preserving the (already limited) legroom and comfort for myself (If I don't check my roll-a-board, then I do follow proper etiquette and put one bag under the seat in front of me). If you expect me to put my smaller bag at my feet (when I don't have a bag in the OH bin), you are expecting me to sacrifice my comfort for your convenience. And you get the double win. Your roll-a-board in the OH bin saves you the time of having to go to bag claim and you also get the benefit of having the space under your seat free (unless you also have another bag that you put under the seat in front of you). Meanwhile, I get a double-loss now. I accepted one "loss" by accepting the extra time of having to go to bag claim and wait on my bag (along with possibly having paid to check that bag and also the additional risk of having my bag lost or delayed) and now you've taken away my tradeoff for that by also believing I should be less comfortable.
Very fair question. I think it's because I feel like, with the extra room we get in first class, it's somewhat selfish to take up two bag's worth of space in the overhead bins. That's my opinion; I expect most people would disagree with me on that point, so I would NEVER confront another passenger about this. That being said, and to your point, if I knew the small bag in the overhead bin was the only bag a passenger had put up there, it wouldn't bother me at all. My pet peeve, which I really need to get over, only extends to one person putting two bags in the bins.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very fair question. I think it's because I feel like, with the extra room we get in first class, it's somewhat selfish to take up two bag's worth of space in the overhead bins. That's my opinion; I expect most people would disagree with me on that point, so I would NEVER confront another passenger about this. That being said, and to your point, if I knew the small bag in the overhead bin was the only bag a passenger had put up there, it wouldn't bother me at all. My pet peeve, which I really need to get over, only extends to one person putting two bags in the bins.
Fair enough and thanks for the honest response. I do disagree about the legroom in F (partially because of my height so even being in F, I’m really only comfortable if I have that space free) so I put my bag up even if I just have one bag. I’m paying for that extra comfort and plan to get maximum advantage. But I do agree about two bags. If you have two, one goes in the bin and one goes under the seat. I will admit to putting both bags in the OH bin if boarding is complete and there’s stil extra room in the bin after the door has closed but I always wait till the door is closed and all carryons have been properly stowed before putting my second bag up.
Ordhater likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.