airport with short MCTs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

airport with short MCTs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
UA keeps showing me a 37 minute domestic-international connection at IAH on a route I'm shopping right now, so I presume the MCT at IAH is 35 minutes or less. That seems crazy. Even if everything is on time, my inbound flight still would be on final approach while my outbound begins boarding. Accepting such a routing is asking for trouble. I'm glad I know to check connection times; I worry for people who don't and find themselves on such likely-to-fail itineraries.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
UA keeps showing me a 37 minute domestic-international connection at IAH on a route I'm shopping right now, so I presume the MCT at IAH is 35 minutes or less. That seems crazy. Even if everything is on time, my inbound flight still would be on final approach while my outbound begins boarding. Accepting such a routing is asking for trouble. I'm glad I know to check connection times; I worry for people who don't and find themselves on such likely-to-fail itineraries.
Yep, dom-intl MCT's are most U.S. airports are just as short as dom-dom MCT.

You are right to be wary: even if much of the airport's schedule is running a little behind (especially the Barbie jets), they often still get the widebodies out on time.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Air Canada has a few airports with 15 or 20 minute MCTs on domestic-domestic connections. These include Saskatoon, Regina, St. John's, Charlottetown, and Quebec City. That said, I'm not sure how many of these ultra-short connections are actually possible because of flight availability.

Personally, I've never tried any of these, and don't plan to, especially in the winter when de-icing can easily add an hour to any flight time on a bad day. The shortest I'll go is 30-35 minutes on AC express to AC express, domestic-domestic, at YEG or YYC, and only in the warmer months were de-icing/snow isn't a factor.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ion-times.html
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by nave888
Air Canada has a few airports with 15 or 20 minute MCTs on domestic-domestic connections. These include Saskatoon, Regina, St. John's, Charlottetown, and Quebec City. That said, I'm not sure how many of these ultra-short connections are actually possible because of flight availability.

Personally, I've never tried any of these, and don't plan to, especially in the winter when de-icing can easily add an hour to any flight time on a bad day. The shortest I'll go is 30-35 minutes on AC express to AC express, domestic-domestic, at YEG or YYC, and only in the warmer months were de-icing/snow isn't a factor.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ion-times.html
I forget how long the actual connection was but it was quite short at YWG. I flew in I think from either YEG or YXE and deplaned and walked out the jetway and walked to the adjacent gate and immediately or almost immediately hopped on my flight to YYZ. I don't recall the date but it was a number of years ago.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by miklcct
Because I want to minimise the time to get to anywhere in the world in the absence of direct flight. (I normally travel with carry-on only to save time)
An airport having short MCTs only matters if an airline has two flights that line up at that MCT and those two flights happen to start/end in the cities you want. I'm not convinced this is the best way to find fast journeys.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by croberts134
An airport having short MCTs only matters if an airline has two flights that line up at that MCT and those two flights happen to start/end in the cities you want. I'm not convinced this is the best way to find fast journeys.
Indeed, and even choosing short connection times can backfire against the goal of fast journeys if the time is so short that it introduces material risk of mis-connecting. I look for ~60 minute connections (domestic to domestic) as the sweet spot for minimizing average overall travel time in light of the commonness of small delays.
pinniped likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Indeed, and even choosing short connection times can backfire against the goal of fast journeys if the time is so short that it introduces material risk of mis-connecting. I look for ~60 minute connections (domestic to domestic) as the sweet spot for minimizing average overall travel time in light of the commonness of small delays.
Yep. Deplane, walk a few minutes, use restroom if necessary, grab a drink or food if necessary, arrive at next gate a couple minutes before they board. That's a pretty decent plan, and it doesn't leave you freaking out if you land on time and have to wait 10 minutes for a gate.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I had an option of a 40 minute connection time at AMS on GLA-MUC, or a 3hr one. I took the longer one.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Back in the NW hub day, MEM also had very short MCTs.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by mandolino
I had an option of a 40 minute connection time at AMS on GLA-MUC, or a 3hr one. I took the longer one.
If I am given the choice and travel without checked baggage, with otherwise identical conditions (fare, miles, perks, etc.), I will always take the 40 minutes one.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
I forget how long the actual connection was but it was quite short at YWG. I flew in I think from either YEG or YXE and deplaned and walked out the jetway and walked to the adjacent gate and immediately or almost immediately hopped on my flight to YYZ. I don't recall the date but it was a number of years ago.
A half hour for a domestic to domestic connection is more than enough at any Canadian airport besides the big four (YYZ, YUL, YVR and YYC). Even with the big 4 chances are a half hour would be enough on most days, but that's cutting it a little close.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I don't think OP has really flown through hubs and realised or experienced how critically important some padding in layover time is.

Short connections may work for you some days but they're also likely to strand you for a lot longer.

Since OP has SU affiliation, try conecting through ATL or CDG with a really-short MCT, the former especially in summer.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by miklcct
If I am given the choice and travel without checked baggage, with otherwise identical conditions (fare, miles, perks, etc.), I will always take the 40 minutes one.

Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:16 pm

I just did a tight one today. 30 minutes at DCA, which is how they sold it. My connecting flight was boarding as I was getting off. Trouble was that I had to take the bus between the two AA concourses. I boarded about 20 minutes before departure.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
DL --> DL at DTW / MSP is 30 min for domestic and 40 min for domestic to international.

I see OP is also based in HKG where efficient and accurate departure and arrival times are the norm. In the US, I would never take a MCT on a major carrier unless it was my only option.

DL often tries to sell me the same 38 minute nonsense through AT that was mentioned above, thankfully there are RDU - ATL flights virtually every hour so I just opt for the earlier RDU - ATL flight to have a more reasonable 1.5 hour connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.