Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

My 25 Best Beaches in the World

Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Yesterday on this Forum [The Luxury Hotels and Travel Forum] someone was asking about the best beach within a couple of hours of Bangkok. I told him what I thought. Then it turned out that he wasn’t interested in the best beach, merely a luxury hotel that was on a beach.

So I started to think, what are the best beaches I have ever been to. Maybe I should get my sun hat on and compile a list.

I suspect I might I have visited more countries and lazed/strolled/swum/snorkelled off more beaches than anyone on this Forum. Age counts for a lot, you see. And that also gives me perspective. If I were writing this 20 years ago I might have included Maya Bay in Thailand or Boracay in the Philippines. Both are now closed due to unsustainable levels of visitors and, therefore, pollution. I might also have included Matira Beach on Bora Bora or Long Beach on Phi Phi Don . . . The list of disillusion goes on. Beaches are also subject to change - a hotel might suddenly ruin a fabulous wild beach (such as the Four Seasons in Nevis) or an existing charming hotel (like the Phi Phi Island resort) will expand horribly. Or a typhoon or hurricane might swoop down and destroy that precious arc of sand and its protective reef. It’s not a precise science, just an incoming tide of memory.

Here is my top 25 list. While not all of these beaches have hotels on them they offer gorgeous sand, trees for shade, scenic interest, safe swimming, sometimes a coral reef, sometimes a drop-off. They are usually remote. I could have included Copacabana or Waikiki but this isn’t that sort of list. There are gaps: While I have visited every country lying between the USA and Colombia, I am unfamiliar with their coastlines. I have yet to visit places like Fernando de Noronha, the Marshall Islands and Kiribati, where stunning beaches are to be found. I haven’t included any beaches in the Maldives because I just don’t like the Maldives.

I have restricted myself to the tropical zone and start from zero degrees longitude and work my way westwards -

Long Beach, Ascension Island
Mayreau, St Vincent & The Grenadines
Curtain Bluff, Antigua & Barbuda
Cap Juluca, Anguilla
Little Dix Bay, British Virgin Islands
Caneel Bay, US Virgin Islands
Parrot Cay, Turks & Caicos Islands
Jamaica Inn, Jamaica
Pukarua, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
Matavai and Mahina Bays, Tahiti, French Polynesia
Motu Tevairoa, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Aitutaki Lagoon, Cook Islands
Lalomanu Beach, Samoa
Alofi Island, Wallis & Futuna
Champagne & Lonnoc beaches, Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu
Kanumera Bay, Isle of Pines, New Caledonia
Palau Pacific Resort, Koror, Palau
Mangiatan/Sembilan Island, Flores, Indonesia
Amanpulo, Pamalican, Philippines
Tanjong Jara, Malaysia
Saman Villas, Sri Lanka
Grand Anse, La Digue, Seychelles
Aldabra Atoll, Amirantes, Seychelles
Peponi Hotel, Lamu, Kenya
Bom Bom Island Resort, Sao Tome & Principe

If I had to name just one, the ultimate beach, it would be Isle of Pines, New Caledonia.

Last edited by Pausanias; Oct 14, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I just dont like the Maldives
Por que?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..

Thanks Pausanias

Sure will like to get to some of these I haven ’ t been to .

Think was here too , Isle of Pines , New Caledonia in ‘ 83 . Did you encounter any sea snakes which we had to keep a look out for ( since they came onto the beach / land too ) ?

Maldives sand is just too “ corally “ ..

Loved many in French Polynesia .

The Pulo sand is best for me being cool all the time , and often having the whole beach to ourselves !
1readyset2go likes this.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Oct 14, 2018 at 5:38 am Reason: iPad typo , add information
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:54 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this discussion in TravelBuzz
Thanks...
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels and Travel
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:48 am

Copacabana (where I grew up) may have made the list 50 years ago, when the surf was perfect for body-surfing and the sand and the ocean were clean. In the 70’s a spectacular sidewalk was built, pushing the ocean back, making the surf break right at water’s edge. Today it is still beautiful, but crowded and dirty. I don’t go there anymore.

My favorite beach is Horseshoe Bay, in Bermuda.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Personally, I don't see the appeal in beaches. Yes, they're nice to look at for a bit and to maybe have a quick walk on, but apart from that...meh.

But at least someone has finally put down beaches in places less obvious e.g. Sao Tome, Ascension Island etc! Kudos to you OP!
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:28 pm
Original Member

It's not off the beaten track nor secluded but the very long beach at Playa del Carmen is superb for playing, swimming, floating. More secluded in thst area is the lovely beach at Maroma.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Anse des Gouverneurs, St Bartelemy.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
A beach with VERY calm, warm water ?

I hope someone can help here with a very specific request.

We are looking for the names/locations of a some particularly CALM beaches with WARM water. (I meant calm water, but let's include the human activity, too. That is, not looking for Party Time Beach, etc.)

In my increasing age (how'd that happen!?), I've developed some physical limitations, and am no longer the fish I once was.

Point is, for the near/intermediate term (and unfortunately, possibly longer), I'm trying to avoid "surf" to the extent possible. That includes the lesser surf that is often not much past the sand. (I'm *not* referring to that foam, obviously, but anything that makes one's footing unstable, including churning sand that sort of "gives way".) I just want to be able to keep my balance. That's an admirable goal, no?

And yes, I would *always* be accompanied by someone, usually Mr. Geezer, plus perhaps someone else.
I'm *not* looking for deep water, but something very safely well below my head.

I've been able to thoroughly enjoy the warm water in Bermuda and Barbados within the past year or so, but getting through even so-called gentle surf is still an ordeal just now. Rougher surf is totally out for now. And of course, local weather could change the water conditions from what one might ordinarily expect.

For the immediate future, we are heading on a Caribbean cruise after Thanksgiving, and will have several islands where we can explore suggestions:
Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten.
We are planning to include a return to Baby Beach in Aruba, but if there's something similar closer to the cruise port/city, that would be nice.
Suggestions in other locales would also be appreciated.

Other suggestions?
Many thanks!

GC
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Marco Island, FL
Dreamlifter likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
We are planning to include a return to Baby Beach in Aruba, but if there's something similar closer to the cruise port/city, that would be nice.
I was not impressed by Baby Beach on Aruba.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by warakorn
I was not impressed by Baby Beach on Aruba.
We only remember it as being quite sheltered, and hence especially calm.

Do you have any other recommendations, per our request above, at the above island destinations OR any other (for future)?

Many thanks!

GC
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
Originally Posted by KatW
It's not off the beaten track nor secluded but the very long beach at Playa del Carmen is superb for playing, swimming, floating. More secluded in thst area is the lovely beach at Maroma.
I'll be there in about a month. I plan on heading north and checking out Puerto Morelos. It looks a little quieter than PDC, I'm hoping it's nice.

In Florida Cayo Costa is nice. It's off the west coast, outside of Cape Coral (which is north of Ft. Meyers). It's beautiful and empty. There's only one ferry company that drops off there so it's practically deserted. I guess they have a state-protected monopoly - I'm not sure of the details, but not many people out there at all.
https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...sta-state-park
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:51 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
We only remember it as being quite sheltered, and hence especially calm.

Do you have any other recommendations, per our request above, at the above island destinations OR any other (for future)?

Many thanks!

GC
I immediately thought of beaches on the inside of a carol reef, such as in Rangiroa in Tahiti.
obscure2k and FlyerEC like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Treasure Cay, Abaco, Bahamas
Anse Lazio, Praslin

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.