Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA in the hotel elevator

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
DYKWIA in the hotel elevator

Firstly a message to the rant police, this is a lighthearted and amusing reflection of some DYKWIA behavior I have witnessed in hotel elevators over the past few weeks. It doesn’t bother me and I have shrugged it off so please don’t worry about my mental health

1. That person who barges their way in as soon as the doors open before waiting to see if anyone already in the elevator wants to get out. Or parents who say nothing when their kids do it.
2. That person who stands one foot in and one foot out preventing the door from closing just to finish a conversation they are having with someone standing outside the elevator meaning that everyone else inside has to wait.
3. That impatient person who starts to curse or gets visibly angry when the elevators stops at multiple floors (usually on the way down).

Any others to add? I think no. 2 is my favorite from a DYKWIA perspective.
trooper, narvik, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Saint4805; Oct 10, 2018 at 8:28 am
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Saint4805
Firstly a message to the rant police, this is a lighthearted and amusing reflection of some DYKWIA behavior I have witnessed in hotel elevators over the past few weeks. It doesn’t bother me and I have shrugged it off so please don’t worry about my mental health.

1. That person who barges their way in as soon as the doors open before waiting to see if anyone already in the elevator wants to get out. Or parents who say nothing when their kids do it.
2. That person who stands one foot in and one foot out preventing the door from closing just to finish a conversation they are having with someone standing outside the elevator meaning that everyone else inside has to wait.
3. That impatient person who starts to curse or gets visibly angry when the elevators stops at multiple floors (usually on the way down).

Any others to add? I think no. 2 is my favorite from a DYKWIA perspective.
I don't see 2 much... can't remember the last time I've seen that.

But for 1, definitely and that includes public transportation as well, like barging into the subway car before people even have a chance to exit (unless the car is full and the wave of people push outward not even allowing the person to enter first).
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
#2 annoys the hell out of me.
tentseller and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by KDS777
#2 annoys the hell out of me.
Similar escalator behavior. Someone cuts right in front of you to get on, get's absorbed in reading texts, and then stands right at the top meaning you have to push them aside to get past.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:12 am

I had the elevator barger before. I usually just stand in the middle of the doorway and say something to the effect of "It's traditional to let people off the elevator before trying to enter." They usually back off and let people out. Works the same for trains, and public transit.
MHG, farci and trooper like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I address #1 by simply pushing past people blocking the door when I'm exiting an elevator or train. I'll say a perfunctory "Pardon me," but will not wait for them to move aside or finish entering first.
muji and pa3lsvt like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
Similar escalator behavior. Someone cuts right in front of you to get on, get's absorbed in reading texts, and then stands right at the top meaning you have to push them aside to get past.
This is a form of the common ailment Doorblockitus.
Usually seen when someone enters the store, then stops right in front of the door while they get their bearings without regard for those behind them. Happens all the time. IMO, it's a mild form of self-absorption.
BTW, in reference to #3 , it only happened once but I actually got on a down elevator and was met with an audible sigh and was "asked" not to push any stop before the ground floor, because someone was waiting downstairs. I assume the person asking had caused their guest to cool their heels in the lobby while she took her time in her room for whatever reason.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by rickg523
Usually seen when someone enters the store, then stops right in front of the door while they get their bearings without regard for those behind them. Happens all the time. IMO, it's a mild form of self-absorption.
BTW, in reference to #3 , it only happened once but I actually got on a down elevator and was met with an audible sigh and was "asked" not to push any stop before the ground floor, because someone was waiting downstairs. I assume the person asking had caused their guest to cool their heels in the lobby while she took her time in her room for whatever reason.
Those are the times where I wish my wits to be quick enough to press all the buttons.
LAX-1K, drphun, rickg523 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Perhaps I'm just passive aggressive but that request would suddenly make me want to go to any floor except the lobby, even if that's where I was headed. Maybe several.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
Perhaps I'm just passive aggressive but that request would suddenly make me want to go to any floor except the lobby, even if that's where I was headed. Maybe several.
It crossed my mind!
And I wondered whether she'd do the same thing if the elevator stopped again. It didn't though.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
I had the elevator barger before. I usually just stand in the middle of the doorway and say something to the effect of "It's traditional to let people off the elevator before trying to enter." They usually back off and let people out. Works the same for trains, and public transit.
This x 1,000,000 .. I wish MORE of us did this!!!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure that's DYKWIA so much as just old fashioned rudeness.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I'm not sure that's DYKWIA so much as just old fashioned rudeness.
I think the point was that such rudeness has some flavor of underlying "self-absorbedness". But yeah, definitely rude!
trooper and muji like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The guy who drops a silent but deadly air biscuit right when the elevator loads up to go up.
KRSW and Jesperss like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Regarding #3 , it can be pretty annoying when someone's kid gets on unsupervised and decides to make all the floor buttons light up on their joy ride.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.