Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA in the hotel elevator

DYKWIA in the hotel elevator

Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by WCT3U
I don't insist on it, but I can understand that. Sometimes I'm not comfortable with announcing where I'm going to strangers. Could be the button is already lit. Maybe I'm going to an upper floor which requires a swipe of my key. Or maybe I change my mind in mid-flight if I don't like the company on the elevator (drunks, wild party...) and don't want to leave with them.

No offense intended, but I'll make my own way. Thank you.
Fair enough :-)
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:41 am

I see #1 .... EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK. at the EWR airtrrain between P3 and Terminal C. Every time it stops, people are at the door waiting to get on, and block the way off. Every time I travel there, I have to say, "Excuse me..." to get enough room to get out at the terminal.

I've yet to see #2 fortunately, but I wouldn't hesitate to interrupt the conversation with a "Hey buddy.... on or off. You're holding up the show!"
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Another 'pleasant' experience I had recently involved sharing a hotel lift/elevator with a couple who insisted on kissing/snogging/making out about two feet away from me in what was obviously a very confined space. I was so close to saying 'Get a room' before realizing that they already did
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by thebigben
Those are the times where I wish my wits to be quick enough to press all the buttons.
And then get off at the first stop...
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: GM
When I am walking on a narrow sidewalk and an oblivious couple walking 2 abreast are clearly not going to yield, I slow down then stop and become a wall. Same for people who obstruct my exit from an elevator.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1P
Ha. This isn't really a DYKWIA elevator story so much, but it's a cautionary tale about elevator etiquette.

The health club I used to belong to had two elevators to the lobby, both of which were excruciatingly slow. So getting one during the morning rush was always a dicey proposition. One morning I lucked out and got one straightaway. Just as the doors were closing, I notice a guy rushing to make it inside, so I kindly held the door open for him and he made it on.

Just before the doors closed again, someone else rushed up and got on just in time. Then someone else. And someone else. This went on about a dozen more times - every time the doors were about to close someone else would rush up and wedge themselves on. In all, it was a good five minutes of false starts and abrupt stops before we finally, slowly, lurched our way downward.

At one point, I looked at the original guy I'd let on and said jokingly, "This is all your fault." He just laughed ruefully as yet another person wiggled her way in.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: AA LT-PLAT 6MIL
I used to be very annoyed about #1 but realized that the people who did it were likely from very busy cities where agression is necessary for survival (i e. not pushing in means missing the train/elevator and therefore being late for work). I am not saying it is OK, but I see how this behavior can develop in a person and become "normal" even when not necessary. As for #3 , there is just something about kids and elevators... they think it is all a fun game and even if the adults choose to discipline it is too late and the buttons can't be unpushed.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
#1 is pretty common in many emerging markets e.g. in many second-tier Chinese and Indian cities
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by jensha
As for #3 , there is just something about kids and elevators... they think it is all a fun game and even if the adults choose to discipline it is too late and the buttons can't be unpushed.
My favorite undiscovered feature of certain elevators is that buttons CAN be unpushed! Push them twice in quick succession and it will cancel the floor.
Great for fat fingers, but LOTS of other uses I can imagine (how about quietly cancelling the floor for that DYKWIA and letting him head all the way up to 37th floor instead of getting off at 6 like he intended?)
Saint4805 and DragonSoul like this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
My favorite undiscovered feature of certain elevators is that buttons CAN be unpushed! Push them twice in quick succession and it will cancel the floor.
Great for fat fingers, but LOTS of other uses I can imagine (how about quietly cancelling the floor for that DYKWIA and letting him head all the way up to 37th floor instead of getting off at 6 like he intended?)
A DYKWIA getting off on the sixth floor with no status is a blue or bronze DYKWIA at best
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rickg523
This is a form of the common ailment Doorblockitus.
It only happened once but I actually got on a down elevator and was met with an audible sigh and was "asked" not to push any stop before the ground floor, because someone was waiting downstairs.
Wow, it would have been so tempting to push the button for the next floor and then hit the rest of the buttons on exiting.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
The only behavior I have encountered on an elevator that really bugs me is people who get off the elevator, take only a couple of steps and then stop to get their bearings or have a conversation with someone thus putting up a roadblock for anyone else entering or exiting.

Related note to that two things I cannot stand are people who stop at choke points to have a conversation with someone, check their phone, or get their bearings. At work often enough I will see people stop right in front of doors to have conversations thus blocking entry or exit from the room. Of course we all know the people in airports or malls who stop right at the top of the escalator to get their bearings instead of stepping aside first. Also I can't stand hallway blockers. Those groups of people who will walk side by side blocking the sidewalk or hallway. Its annoying enough the overly affectionate couple holding hands side by side on a narrow sidewalk, but it gets into the rediculous territory when a large family will block a large hallway walking side by side.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by Too much travel
#1 is pretty common in many emerging markets e.g. in many second-tier Chinese and Indian cities
Totally. Yes, this can be a cultural norm in many places. I see it all the time in china on elevators and subway cars. Line cutting just the same. I suspect it derives from a self-preservation mentality in a sea of 1.3 billion people. Slowly Ive seen it start to improve over the last several years.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:40 am

Location: San Francisco, CA Frmr AA Plat AW Plat Frmr UA 1K Frmr HGP Plat now just UA 1MM/1P
This thread really seems more a DYKWAD issue than a DYKWIA one.
Old Hickory and DragonSoul like this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by babyjesus
When I am walking on a narrow sidewalk and an oblivious couple walking 2 abreast are clearly not going to yield, I slow down then stop and become a wall. Same for people who obstruct my exit from an elevator.
I've started a version of this where I don't move out of the way if someone is heading directly toward me but their head is buried in their phone. If we crash, oh well. If they drop their phone, oh well. If they yell at me, I say "you should be thanking me. I could have been a lamp post or a wall or a crosswalk and you would've walked straight into it. Look where you're walking."
FXWizard likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.