Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Single parent with 2 kids - 2 flights + cruise - Check bag?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

I'm a frequent traveler ( mostly international ) and have become a one bag traveler. It just makes life easier. Less is more.

With that said....

I have a trip planned with my 2 kids - 4 &7 and I'm considering checking a suitcase and carrying on an expandable Osprey Ozone 45 backpack. I just feel that with dealing with the 2 kids solo it might be the best option to make traveling a bit more pleasant?

My other option is use my trusty TravelPro International Rollaboard + an eBags Mother Lode Weekender Convertible on my back. I can definitely fit everything we need between the 2 but I'm not sure about carrying/pulling with 2 kids through the airports and on planes plus the time before the room is ready on the cruise.

Advice?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Check the bag. Shepherding two young kids through airports while maneuvering a rollaboard will not be a good time.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:04 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Definitely check the bag. The children require your full attention.
ajGoes and mmff like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Moreover, I wouldn't get too hung up on sticking with a single checked rollaboard. You don't say how long you're going for, but if it's more than a couple of days, you're going to have a hard time getting enough stuff for the kids and yourself into one small bag.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:30 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Definitely check the bag. The children require your full attention.
Agree!
Also, consider getting the kids a tiny little kids roller bag or backpack. It may not make your life any easier, because you'll have to be sure they take the bag along with them as you move through the airports and your trip, but, the kids I see in the airport with their own bags look extremely proud of having such a grown up item.
obscure2k and ajGoes like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I’m a single parent of one. If I had two, 100% check the bag. I still check sometimes with the one kid. And I hate checking bags
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I would check a bag that will be sufficient for the three of you, but I also agree with StartinSanDiego on getting the kids a backpack or a rolly bag of their own.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Moreover, I wouldn't get too hung up on sticking with a single checked rollaboard. You don't say how long you're going for, but if it's more than a couple of days, you're going to have a hard time getting enough stuff for the kids and yourself into one small bag.
10 days. Flight then 7 night cruise.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Probably use my trusty Eagle Creek Tarmac 26 and check it with 1 or maybe 2 backpacks ( second on my 7 year old )
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
My daughter started carrying her own kiddie sized backpack at 3.5. It had toys, books, coloring books and snacks
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Traveling with young children is way different from traveling solo. Your 4 & 7yo could wander off in different directions simultaneously and get into trouble quickly. You don't want to be weighed down by bags when you have to watch and chase them. Plus, at some point you'll have to carry the younger one instead of a bag. My advice is carry on only what will be necessary in flight or within hours of arrival -- note with two young kids that could be A LOT (toys, medicine, jackets, 1-2 changes of clothes) all by itself -- and check absolutely everything else.

Bon voyage!
obscure2k and ajGoes like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by car_wash_guy
I can definitely fit everything we need between the 2 but I'm not sure about carrying/pulling with 2 kids through the airports and on planes plus the time before the room is ready on the cruise.
Advice?
You could always check the suitcase at the pier to have it delivered to the cabin while you carry the backpack with the kids as all of you enjoy the limited amenities while in port. Rooms are usually ready before the ship leaves the port, so you will be able to dump whatever you don't need out of the back pack at that time. Besides you may find that the kids would need to take a short nap onboard soon after you arrive at the ship.

Enjoy your cruise.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Is checking one or both of the kids an option?

Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by car_wash_guy
I'm a frequent traveler ( mostly international ) and have become a one bag traveler. It just makes life easier. Less is more.

With that said....

I have a trip planned with my 2 kids - 4 &7 and I'm considering checking a suitcase and carrying on an expandable Osprey Ozone 45 backpack. I just feel that with dealing with the 2 kids solo it might be the best option to make traveling a bit more pleasant?

My other option is use my trusty TravelPro International Rollaboard + an eBags Mother Lode Weekender Convertible on my back. I can definitely fit everything we need between the 2 but I'm not sure about carrying/pulling with 2 kids through the airports and on planes plus the time before the room is ready on the cruise.

Advice?
There is one overwhelming reason to check that bag: bathrooms. Don't know the gender of all 3 in your party, but no matter what the combo is, just imagine trying to keep an eye on both kids and a bag in an airport restroom. Yes, in theory there are family bathrooms in many airports now, but not all kids are willing to use the toilet with an audience once they hit 3 or 4.

I agree with the poster who said get each kid a small backpack of their own. My kid started carrying his own mini-backpack at 3. Having it made him very conscious of keeping track of his things and very proud of the backpack. When I say mini backpack, I mean about 6 x 8 inches. It held an activity pad, crayons, kleenex and a snack.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Oct 1, 2018 at 1:53 pm
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
No question I'd check a bag, unless there's some sort of no-hassle and reliable way to ship the bag directly from your house to the cruise ship separately from you. (Not a cruise person so don't know if this kind of service exists...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.