Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If overhead bins didn't exist, would you still travel via airplane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If overhead bins didn't exist, would you still travel via airplane?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Already the newest forms of air transport (i.e., spaceships) have eliminated overhead bins.
well, it's rather confusing to know which way "over head" might be
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
If on a business trip (or even non-kid vacation), I can easily pack for a week with just carry on. 5 shirts, two pairs of shoes, a suit, jeans, a couple t-shirts, a polo shirt and a sweater easily fit into a carry on sized hard case. If I am away for more than 7 days, odds are pretty good that at least the weekend will have 2 nights in the same hotel - so laundry/cleaning shouldn't be hard. I have sent some stuff by Fedex before to avoid checked bags.
That said, I have an 8 year old and any longer family trip involves checked bags (maybe his mom is the bigger culprit actually) - I survived all of them so far.
Time savings are just significant. Both departure (provided one can check in online) and arrival wise.

Of course I wouldn't stop flying if there were no bins
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by ft101
It's not what one needs to take but what one wants to take. I want as many of the luxuries of home available when I travel so pack them. I'd rather take something and not use it rather than have it sitting at home and want to use it.
And that right there is basically the problem with many people today.

Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
Thanks. Though, I'm having great trouble visualising how two weeks of winter clothing fits in a backpack that goes underneath the seat in front. Are you an origami master by any chance?
Warm stuff was worn at all times pretty much. Besides, depends what you regard as 'winter clothes' perhaps. It's really not as bad as it seems.

Originally Posted by lmashton
It's different for those of us who are chronically ill/in chronic pain/are disabled. Braces, durable medical equipment, medicine, and everything else needed to survive as a chronically ill/in chronic pain/disabled person take up a lot of room.

Travelling by carryon only is an abled thing.
You're unnecessarily and irrelevantly opening a totally different can of worms here.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by ilcannone
It's not what one needs to take but what one wants to take. I want as many of the luxuries of home available when I travel so pack them. I'd rather take something and not use it rather than have it sitting at home and want to use it.
Not nearly as a big problem as assuming there is a "right" way to travel and a "wrong" way. Some people travel for business, some for health reasons, some for pleasure and some for adventure. Taking what you personally feel necessary by whatever definition you use should be the right of any traveler as long as it is a) legal and b) safe for those around you. Beyond that, MYOB is a good strategy for traveling.

Back to the OP's question: people used to walk of the plane in a fairly simple system. Stand up, get your small bag from under the sit, walk fairly quickly off the plane and go about your business. Those who had checked baggage waited for it at the carousel, those who didn't got out of the airport pretty quickly. Now, because of the larger overhead bins and the rollaboard obsession - "It will save me 20 minutes at the baggage carousel!" - it takes up to 25 minutes to get off the plane when it used to take 5. Not only is there no longer a time saving for the carry-on only crowd, they're holding up those who check their bags and stealing time from everybody.

Anybody else remember those small carry-on's airlines and tour companies used to give out? about 9x12x4? So small, and yet somehow perfectly adequate.

Warm stuff was worn at all times pretty much. Besides, depends what you regard as 'winter clothes' perhaps. It's really not as bad as it seems.
Those forced to sit near you in a confined space likely disagree.
muji likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Those forced to sit near you in a confined space likely disagree.
Despite regular laundering? No, I don't think so.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
For years (as a UA 1K) I focused on carry on only 99% of the time. Usually I'm on a pretty fixed schedule so even with UA's generous SDC policy I'm not likely to switch flights after arriving at the airport. For the last 6 months I've switched gears and started checking a bag more than 90% of the time, and I have to say its been fantastic not to worry about bin space. I stay in the club longer, and couldn't care less when I board the airplane unless I'm in row 1. As a domestic road warrior I was torn on this in the beginning of this little experiment, but I have to say its worked out well. When I do take advantage of the SDC policy, I've done so prior to checking my bag.

I have also minimized my computer bag, without the extra crap I used to carry. Now carry a much smaller PC than I used to, and given how much I can accomplish from my iPad, I sometimes leave the PC at home. So much room in my PC bag that I now have room for a change of clothes on the off chance something happens such as a spilled coffee.

Last edited by COSPILOT; Sep 23, 2018 at 11:20 am
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I don’t travel with unnecessary things, but I take what I need. For business travel, that is often two suits, a shirt for each day, and enough underwear to last. I like to be clean and comfortable when I travel. If that takes more than a carryon, then it just does. When people try to get by with one cheap suit, a wash and wear shirt, and one pair of underwear they wash in the sink each night, it is usually readily apparent, and people draw conclusions about it. In certain lines of work, that would detract from the reason you are spending all that time and money to be there.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:35 am

Wanting comfort, convenience, peace of mind, relaxation etc etc should not be seen as a problem IMO. YMMV.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:51 am

Wanting comfort, convenience, peace of mind, relaxation etc etc should not be seen as a problem IMO. YMMV.
There is a balance that many never see or adhere to.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Originally Posted by 1P
This whole question has nothing to do with charging for checked bags and everything to do with thieving by the TSA and/or baggage handlers. Now that we have to either leave our bags unlocked or pay to install locks that the TSA can open, no one in their right mind is going to consign valuables to the hold of the plane. I speak as someone who has had articles (fortunately only clothes) stolen by the TSA/baggage handlers in the past. If we could lock our bags, I for one would not need a carry-on at all.
Yes, this. A good part of my carry-on comes from two categories. 1) Stuff I don't want stolen, lost or broken, and 2) overflow from my one checked bag. I travel Southwest when able and carry much less on the plane because I can check two bags without getting gouged. Either lower or eliminate checked bag fees. An extra bag to Europe is $100 each way, half it and I'll check another smallish bag. Stop stealing. I check nothing of any value whatsoever. Recently I had a battery charger worth about $10 and suitable only for one size Panasonic battery stolen from my checked. Really? Thank god for Amazon UK I could replace it while away.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by 1P
This whole question has nothing to do with charging for checked bags and everything to do with thieving by the TSA and/or baggage handlers. Now that we have to either leave our bags unlocked or pay to install locks that the TSA can open, no one in their right mind is going to consign valuables to the hold of the plane. I speak as someone who has had articles (fortunately only clothes) stolen by the TSA/baggage handlers in the past. If we could lock our bags, I for one would not need a carry-on at all.
Theft from checked bags is a real problem and that impacts what valuables or "semi-valuables" one is willing to place in the checked bag - along with airlines' limitations of liability and many personal insurance policies that could refuse to pay on the basis of not taking adequate care to safeguard high value property. Even real locks don't help when it comes to soft-sided bags as the zipper can usually be opened with a ballpoint pen.

Uneven underseat storage space would be an issue. Generally overhead bins are somewhat similar on mainline jets regardless of airline. Underseat storage, not so much. It can even vary on the same plane due to equipment boxes, seat frame, etc. Although my carry-on generally fits under the seat I sometimes have unexpected issues on particular seats.

There would need to be somewhere for bulkhead pax to store items during takeoff and landing. The FAs often have their carry-on bag placed in the overhead bins as well. Oh, and there's the emergency equipment that can take up an entire bin. I guess dedicated storage spaces for those could be added.

In any case, manufacturers seem to be making slightly more room in the overheads with newer aircraft, so I don't see them going away. Interesting thought experiment though.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:28 am

I would, although wouldn't like it. Much easier/faster to fly about 3.0 hours from ALB to MCO instead of 2 very long/hard days of driving.
Unfortunately with all my prescription meds, and lithium ion batteries (go-pro, etc.) would make for a very cramped (wouldn't fit actually) under seat storage. Especially when traveling in the winter (I normally stuff my coat under there).

Fortunately I've only ever had my luggage lost once (took US Air like 3 days to find it and return it to me).
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Under about 5 days I usually travel with just a carry on, unless I'm carrying liquids. Over that, I always use a proper suitcase. Only once in the last year has my suitcase not been waiting for me when I got to baggage claim - sometimes because it's always fast (eg LHR), sometimes because Immigration is always slow (ie USA) and sometimes, on non-*A airlines because I'm stuck in the back and it takes 20 minutes to get off. Recently, waiting to get off, I noticed that all the baggage containers had been unloaded and driven away well before I could even leave my seat.

I do recgonise that there can be good reasons for carry on only, but sometimes it strikes me as being done through selfishness more than anything else.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:22 pm

There is a balance that many never see or adhere to.
Agreed - at both ends of the spectrum. An underseat backpack for 6 weeks does not meet the definition of a balanced approach IMO.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:49 am

Agreed - at both ends of the spectrum. An underseat backpack for 6 weeks does not meet the definition of a balanced approach IMO.
But if it works for some people, including them not causing discomfort to others, how could anyone criticise that?

I'm not sure that there is an objective 'balanced approach' that works for everyone. Nor do I think there should be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.