Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anxiety, fear of flying with Eva Air and Asian airlines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by TravthaWo
Who actually regulates this airline or any in Asia for that matter?
They are regulated by the country in which they are licensed.

Originally Posted by nrunning24
Every airline that flies to the US has to have FAA approval of all their training and maintenance programs regardless of where they are based.
No, they don't. The FAA ability to oversee foreign airlines is rather limited as compared to their oversight of US airlines. They can inspect aircraft and required documents when the airplane is at a US airport but they can't inspect or oversee the airline's operations, training, and maintenance its own country. The International Aviation Safety Assessment Program accepts, or rejects, the country's civil aviation authority (CAA) but the oversight and inspection of the country's airline(s) are left up to their own CAA.

Lots more information here: https://www.faa.gov/travelers/international_travel/

We've all seen drivers who we feel are very safe and others who we judge to be reckless. Both drivers may be accident free but the equal results don't equate to equal risk. To evaluate the risk you have to evaluate the margin of safety; how many near misses they have; how close those near misses have come to an accident. You have to evaluate the airline's safety culture; how the airline collects data, identifies trends, and manages threats and errors. There are no simple "safe" or "unsafe" answers.
TravthaWo likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LarryJ

No, they don't. The FAA ability to oversee foreign airlines is rather limited as compared to their oversight of US airlines. They can inspect aircraft and required documents when the airplane is at a US airport but they can't inspect or oversee the airline's operations, training, and maintenance its own country. The International Aviation Safety Assessment Program accepts, or rejects, the country's civil aviation authority (CAA) but the oversight and inspection of the country's airline(s) are left up to their own CAA.
Yes airlines are mainly regulated from the country that they operate, but any airline operating a flight to the US airspace is subject to approval of their practices from the FAA. Please see Thai's blacklist issues from both the EU and USA. The reality is if the FAA doesn't believe you are operating or maintaining the airplane per OEM requirements then you will get blacklisted from flying to the USA.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I have no anxiety flying long-haul international on any airline because of the various international agreements and requirements. It is very different however on an internal flight within a country where maintenance and training standards may be lower. There are airlines I'll fly internationally but won't fly domestically in their country of origin.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Yes airlines are mainly regulated from the country that they operate, but any airline operating a flight to the US airspace is subject to approval of their practices from the FAA. Please see Thai's blacklist issues from both the EU and USA. The reality is if the FAA doesn't believe you are operating or maintaining the airplane per OEM requirements then you will get blacklisted from flying to the USA.
Even Philippine Airlines was blacklisted for a while, however, they were still allowed to fly to the USA, just not add any new routes or change existing ones until they came off the list. Cebu Pacific just recently came of this list and is now allowed to fly into US territories as well as the USA.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LarryJ

Lots more information here: https://www.faa.gov/travelers/international_travel/

We've all seen drivers who we feel are very safe and others who we judge to be reckless. Both drivers may be accident free but the equal results don't equate to equal risk. To evaluate the risk you have to evaluate the margin of safety; how many near misses they have; how close those near misses have come to an accident. You have to evaluate the airline's safety culture; how the airline collects data, identifies trends, and manages threats and errors. There are no simple "safe" or "unsafe" answers.
Exactly, well said. That’s all I could find regarding safety and FAA regulations as well. Unless there is some incident(s) that cause attention to the airline, it doesn’t appear there is much regulation or oversight to the airlines outside of there home country. My concern precisely was the way the airlines operated. An example is one airline might cancel or delay a flight do to bad weather. The other airline takes off anyway, probably motivated by several reasons, but safety not one of them. This brings me back to the incidents mentioned originally by BR. However minor, they are concerning. I found an unconfirmed one mentioned in a review recently. Has to do with the recent accident at MNL in August.

Agree. However this seems to be only a one time approval (or not so often), afterwards not much of regulation for day to day operations. Unless there are incidents that raise attention. The ongoing regulation on how they operate is what I’m curious about.

Last edited by JY1024; Sep 23, 2018 at 7:41 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Yeah the same old thing everyone always says... I agree statistically. However aren't there a lot more cars on the road than planes?
Statistically it doesn't matter how many vehicles are used if you compare deaths/mile flown/driven. The number of vehicles, number of accidents and absolute numbers of deaths are more relevant when comparing year-to-year figures. A single fatal aircraft accident can change the year-to-year trend whereas the same number of deaths would not or only marginally influenced the trend observed for road traffic fatalities.

E.g. The nearly 550 people killed in the two MH crashes in 2014 had a significant on safety figures whereas an increase by 550 deaths would have barely changed the motor vehicle fatality rate in the US.

Agree. However this seems to be only a one time approval (or not so often), afterwards not much of regulation for day to day operations. Unless there are incidents that raise attention. The ongoing regulation on how they operate is what I’m curious about.
And what makes you think that the FAA is involved in the day to day operations of US airlines? Sure, they conduct spot inspections, etc. but they lack the financial and human resources to catch every problem. The reality is that the bulk of airlines is very safe and that there are numerous airlines that cut corners. That rule applies to pretty much region of the globe.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BearX220
OP might like to know that a rising number of cockpit crews flying for the Asian airlines are Western-trained.

My son has worked as a university flight instructor in the US and certified numerous Taiwanese, Japanese, Chinese, etc. pilots to the same rigorous standards Americans must meet. He's also worked with Japanese civil aviation officials and at least one airline chief pilot to refine those standards. The young people who complete their training in the US return to their native countries to work, and from what I have been told they are just as competent as young American pilots you'd meet in the US regional system.

For many years you might hear a British, Australian, or Canadian accent from the Cathay Pacific or Malaysian flight deck -- but now the ranks of native-born talent is growing fast, and Western training is considered very desirable and prestigious. I would be as comfortable with those crews as any American-born talent.
I don't doubt that the mainline Asian airlines have rigorous training standards, and I book Asian airlines without a second thought. The one thing that makes me hesitate on occasion is the cultural difference and how if impacts CRM. A western trained co-pilot is great - as long as he/she feels empowered enough to override a Captain who is on the verge of making a mistake.

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I have no anxiety flying long-haul international on any airline because of the various international agreements and requirements. It is very different however on an internal flight within a country where maintenance and training standards may be lower. There are airlines I'll fly internationally but won't fly domestically in their country of origin.
This.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Statistically it doesn't matter how many vehicles are used if you compare deaths/mile flown/driven. The number of vehicles, number of accidents and absolute numbers of deaths are more relevant when comparing year-to-year figures. A single fatal aircraft accident can change the year-to-year trend whereas the same number of deaths would not or only marginally influenced the trend observed for road traffic fatalities.

E.g. The nearly 550 people killed in the two MH crashes in 2014 had a significant on safety figures whereas an increase by 550 deaths would have barely changed the motor vehicle fatality rate in the US.

And what makes you think that the FAA is involved in the day to day operations of US airlines? Sure, they conduct spot inspections, etc. but they lack the financial and human resources to catch every problem. The reality is that the bulk of airlines is very safe and that there are numerous airlines that cut corners. That rule applies to pretty much region of the globe.
Personally I think in the US the airlines are subject to a greater deal of oversight. As an example, small or large incidents are covered by the media most of the time, or by passengers on social media. By no means am I suggesting all incidents are covered, just making a comparative picture. The FAA doesn’t necessarily have to have folks on the ground for this, unless later identified by the above to then investigate.

Compare this to some small Asian countries, some may only have one or two major airlines and these airlines are very powerful in that they can steer the media to there favor. Tawain is an example. I’m sure there are other non Asian countries are similar, I’m just speaking to what I’ve experienced. I know most of these airlines are very safe, It’s just my anxiety around the operations. LarryJ gave a great example on this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:45 am

OP should checkout the many incidents involving US airlines. Like the one on 30th August involving the American Airbus lined up to land at the wrong Fort Myers airport forcing a go around.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Personally I think in the US the airlines are subject to a greater deal of oversight.

The number of incidents says otherwise.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:32 am

I'm in Asia and options are limited to certain carriers without long back tracking.
Your choices are indeed limited then. If you are struggling to fly asian airlines for whatever reason, then you have to seek alternative transportation means, stop travelling or limited travel where your choice of airlines takes you.

Unless ofcourse, you are willing to change your mindset.

Does Emirates offer good connectivity to where you are ? They have a very good reputation.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simons1
OP should checkout the many incidents involving US airlines. Like the one on 30th August involving the American Airbus lined up to land at the wrong Fort Myers airport forcing a go around.
Understand. I’m curious how many similar events happen elsewhere that go unreported.
simons1 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
Your choices are indeed limited then. If you are struggling to fly asian airlines for whatever reason, then you have to seek alternative transportation means, stop travelling or limited travel where your choice of airlines takes you.

Unless ofcourse, you are willing to change your mindset.

Does Emirates offer good connectivity to where you are ? They have a very good reputation.
Ive flown in/out the area several times. Only recently became uneasy about it. I’ve accepted it, however still have anxiety. Emirates doesn’t offer any reasonable routes for me (I.e. adding significant flight time). Right now I’m looking at 3 options. Eva air, Cathay or Japan. Eva air would be premium economy, others not. Flying to LAX.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
That is a selection bias. Australia, the US, and other western countries only grant visas to the "smart" Asians, i.e., those that are recruited by a local company or have gained admission to a local university. Any random Asian cannot immigrate.

They look at the accident rate per passenger-mile travelled, so the number of cars and planes is already accounted for.

True, and it is a useful measurement. I can't help however remembering the comment that on a "passenger mile" basis the Apollo Moon missions were apparently very safe indeed....
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:24 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by trooper
True, and it is a useful measurement. I can't help however remembering the comment that on a "passenger mile" basis the Apollo Moon missions were apparently very safe indeed....
That isn't a useful metric because the moon is so far away, and there isn't much data since so few people have gone there. But when comparing cars and planes, which are on the same scale and often compete against each other, this metric is useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.