Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Quick general facts about flight prices vs ticket purchase date

Old Sep 19, 18, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold; Amex Plat; Chase SR; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓

An unexpected discussion regarding corporate travel policy has arisen at work, and I'm looking for general facts/rules of thumb regarding international (from US) business class tickets.

1. Generally it feels to me like a business class ticket is often 5-7 times the price of economy. And premium economy is around twice the price of economy. Am I anywhere near correct?

2. What is a typical example of business pricing, in terms of 12 months out, 6 months out, 3 months, and 1 months out? Trying to understand what % difference it truly makes. I appreciate there's variables, but any rules of thumb would help.

3. What tricks are there to get cheaper international flights? For example, if an international departure needs a domestic connection to start it seems cheaper to fly, for example, Southwest from DEN-SFO, then on a separate ticket fly United Business SFO-International wherever.

thanks for any help! I'd usually do my own homework before posting but have no time.
Old Sep 19, 18, 3:36 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander View Post
3. What tricks are there to get cheaper international flights? For example, if an international departure needs a domestic connection to start it seems cheaper to fly, for example, Southwest from DEN-SFO, then on a separate ticket fly United Business SFO-International wherever.
The higher price for having it on the same ticket "pays for" (a) not being completely out of the cost of the second flight if your first flight is late enough to cause a missed connection, and (b) if you have checked bags, they will be transferred behind the scenes, so that you do not have to exit the security-screened area, collect the checked bags, recheck them, and go back through security.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Sep 19, 18, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander View Post
An unexpected discussion regarding corporate travel policy has arisen at work, and I'm looking for general facts/rules of thumb regarding international (from US) business class tickets.

1. Generally it feels to me like a business class ticket is often 5-7 times the price of economy. And premium economy is around twice the price of economy. Am I anywhere near correct?

2. What is a typical example of business pricing, in terms of 12 months out, 6 months out, 3 months, and 1 months out? Trying to understand what % difference it truly makes. I appreciate there's variables, but any rules of thumb would help.
depends on route (demand from passengers, O&D vs connecting traffic etc) AND whether your company has (cheaper/different) corporate contracts/fares

pay for expertflyer, you can get hard data on #2 on your route (change the ticketing date). Doesn't work for corporate contracts though, only published fares

https://www.expertflyer.com/popup/he...formation.html
Old Sep 19, 18, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tjl View Post
The higher price for having it on the same ticket "pays for" (a) not being completely out of the cost of the second flight if your first flight is late enough to cause a missed connection, and (b) if you have checked bags, they will be transferred behind the scenes, so that you do not have to exit the security-screened area, collect the checked bags, recheck them, and go back through security.
Good points. The thing I had noticed is that it also "pays for" domestic First, which is unnecessary for me. I'd rather save a couple of grand and fly domestic coach with 24hrs buffer if needed, before then picking up the international business flight. Or is there a way to book a single business class ticket but force the domestic leg into economy?
Old Sep 19, 18, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
depends on route (demand from passengers, O&D vs connecting traffic etc) AND whether your company has (cheaper/different) corporate contracts/fares

pay for expertflyer, you can get hard data on #2 on your route (change the ticketing date). Doesn't work for corporate contracts though, only published fares

https://www.expertflyer.com/popup/he...formation.html
we do have some kind of corporate contracts, but the price I see when booking is often the same if booked directly. Not sure if there's kickbacks behind the scenes.
I bought expertflyer last week (for other reasons), and I'll definitely try your suggestion. Not exactly sure how to do it but I'll figure it out.