Reload this Page >

Can non guests use a hotel's airport shuttle

Closed Thread

Old Sep 13, 18, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold

Do you have to be staying at a hotel to take their shuttle? Doing a same day MR and want to have lunch at a restaurant that is near an SPG hotel near an airport.
Old Sep 13, 18, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, UA Silver, HH lapsed Diamond, SPG Plat
That's a little impudent. Now, if you wanted to have lunch at the hotel, sure.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 13, 18, 9:07 pm

Programs: MPG LTPP, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN ALP, CLEAR
IME they really don't care.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 13, 18, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SPG PLT100/LT PLT/PRO, MR LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HY DIA, HH GLD, UA SLV, Hertz 5*, Avis PreferredPlus
They probably won't notice or do anything, but IMHO it's just wrong.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's wrong but I've seen shuttle bus drivers knowingly agree to do this for a somewhat big tip.

In fact, once I was on an airport-to-hotel shuttle which was late and packed, and then the shuttle stopped at a different hotel first and most of the passengers got off. I reported this to the hotel GM the next day who confirmed that, as I suspected, this was not a "cooperative" shuttle arrangement and in fact, the driver's actions were unknown to the hotel and clearly against the rules, especially as the other hotel wasn't even located on the route between the airport and the hotel that was providing the shuttle and (at least formerly) employing the driver. In my case, I came very close to getting off the shuttle at the wrong hotel, which would have required a long and cold wait in a sketchy neighborhood late at night.
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post
IME they really don't care.
Saying "they really don't care" implies they have no opinion. I'm sure they don't encourage it and probably don't approve of it. More apropos, it's just bad form.
Old Sep 13, 18, 11:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Saying "they really don't care" implies they have no opinion. I'm sure they don't encourage it and probably don't approve of it. More apropos, it's just bad form.
Agreed. Bad form. Just do the right thing and get an Uber or a taxi.
KRSW, nancypants and vbnet like this.
Old Sep 14, 18, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
That was my gut feeling, otherwise I would not have asked here. I won't do it.
Old Sep 14, 18, 2:53 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
Do you have to be staying at a hotel to take their shuttle?
Generally not. But some hotel shuttle bus drivers sometimes ask for names and may log or call the given name in to the hotel.

I take hotel shuttle buses from airports quite often even when not registered with a room booking as a guest at the hotel. Never had a problem because of it.
Old Sep 14, 18, 4:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver, all the stuff that comes with the AmEx Plat and CSR
I've been very curious about this as well. I stayed at the Hilton Rome Airport and they have a shuttle to downtown Rome, a 45 minute drive which is a 15-20 euro train each way. They didn't have a roster or verify that you're staying with them at all. Interesting for a hotel that is literally colocated with the terminal. If I had a long layover and knew the schedule, I'd be very tempted. But what would I do with my bags?
Old Sep 14, 18, 6:38 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Can you - of course you can - I'm Exhibit A - I've done it regularly at almost every chain - NEVER EVER been questioned.
If you rephrase the question - Do they encourage - my answer would change to most likely not
kennycrudup and nlkm9 like this.
Old Sep 14, 18, 7:09 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One could also ask whether nonguests can/should use other facilities that hotels provide for free for their guests, such as gyms, swimming pools, saunas, etc. In a sense, it's stealing.
Old Sep 14, 18, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver, all the stuff that comes with the AmEx Plat and CSR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
One could also ask whether nonguests can/should use other facilities that hotels provide for free for their guests, such as gyms, swimming pools, saunas, etc. In a sense, it's stealing.
All of the things you mentioned require a room key, at least for pretty much every hotel Iíve been to in the last ten years. The shuttles donít.
nequine likes this.
Old Sep 14, 18, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
If you do not intend to use the hotel or any of its amenities, this is essentially theft of service. Whether the driver cares or not, or whether you can buy him off with a ten-dollar bill so he'll drop you at Applebee's, is immaterial. The shuttle isn't there for the purpose you have in mind.
Old Sep 14, 18, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
On the scale of tricks that are discussed on FT, this one rates pretty low on the ethical violation scale to me. The shuttle is running anyway. It's not like you're costing them anything more.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: