FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Can non guests use a hotel's airport shuttle (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1930473-can-non-guests-use-hotels-airport-shuttle.html)

Eujeanie Sep 13, 2018 8:41 pm

Can non guests use a hotel's airport shuttle

Do you have to be staying at a hotel to take their shuttle? Doing a same day MR and want to have lunch at a restaurant that is near an SPG hotel near an airport.

3Cforme Sep 13, 2018 9:06 pm

That's a little impudent. Now, if you wanted to have lunch at the hotel, sure.

kennycrudup Sep 13, 2018 9:07 pm

IME they really don't care.

CPRich Sep 13, 2018 9:34 pm

They probably won't notice or do anything, but IMHO it's just wrong.

MSPeconomist Sep 13, 2018 10:02 pm

It's wrong but I've seen shuttle bus drivers knowingly agree to do this for a somewhat big tip.

In fact, once I was on an airport-to-hotel shuttle which was late and packed, and then the shuttle stopped at a different hotel first and most of the passengers got off. I reported this to the hotel GM the next day who confirmed that, as I suspected, this was not a "cooperative" shuttle arrangement and in fact, the driver's actions were unknown to the hotel and clearly against the rules, especially as the other hotel wasn't even located on the route between the airport and the hotel that was providing the shuttle and (at least formerly) employing the driver. In my case, I came very close to getting off the shuttle at the wrong hotel, which would have required a long and cold wait in a sketchy neighborhood late at night.

dayone Sep 13, 2018 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 30201688)
IME they really don't care.

Saying "they really don't care" implies they have no opinion. I'm sure they don't encourage it and probably don't approve of it. More apropos, it's just bad form.

Finkface Sep 13, 2018 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 30201890)
Saying "they really don't care" implies they have no opinion. I'm sure they don't encourage it and probably don't approve of it. More apropos, it's just bad form.

Agreed. Bad form. Just do the right thing and get an Uber or a taxi.

Eujeanie Sep 14, 2018 1:41 am

That was my gut feeling, otherwise I would not have asked here. I won't do it.

GUWonder Sep 14, 2018 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post 30201627)
Do you have to be staying at a hotel to take their shuttle?

Generally not. But some hotel shuttle bus drivers sometimes ask for names and may log or call the given name in to the hotel.

I take hotel shuttle buses from airports quite often even when not registered with a room booking as a guest at the hotel. Never had a problem because of it.

therossinator Sep 14, 2018 4:23 am

I've been very curious about this as well. I stayed at the Hilton Rome Airport and they have a shuttle to downtown Rome, a 45 minute drive which is a 15-20 euro train each way. They didn't have a roster or verify that you're staying with them at all. Interesting for a hotel that is literally colocated with the terminal. If I had a long layover and knew the schedule, I'd be very tempted. But what would I do with my bags?

TrojanHorse Sep 14, 2018 6:38 am

Can you - of course you can - I'm Exhibit A - I've done it regularly at almost every chain - NEVER EVER been questioned.
If you rephrase the question - Do they encourage - my answer would change to most likely not

MSPeconomist Sep 14, 2018 7:09 am

One could also ask whether nonguests can/should use other facilities that hotels provide for free for their guests, such as gyms, swimming pools, saunas, etc. In a sense, it's stealing.

therossinator Sep 14, 2018 7:15 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30202836)
One could also ask whether nonguests can/should use other facilities that hotels provide for free for their guests, such as gyms, swimming pools, saunas, etc. In a sense, it's stealing.

All of the things you mentioned require a room key, at least for pretty much every hotel I’ve been to in the last ten years. The shuttles don’t.

BearX220 Sep 14, 2018 7:51 am

If you do not intend to use the hotel or any of its amenities, this is essentially theft of service. Whether the driver cares or not, or whether you can buy him off with a ten-dollar bill so he'll drop you at Applebee's, is immaterial. The shuttle isn't there for the purpose you have in mind.

Kacee Sep 14, 2018 8:17 am

On the scale of tricks that are discussed on FT, this one rates pretty low on the ethical violation scale to me. The shuttle is running anyway. It's not like you're costing them anything more.