Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can non guests use a hotel's airport shuttle

Can non guests use a hotel's airport shuttle

Old Sep 14, 18, 10:42 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
I do wonder if there is liability (only for hotel guests ?) in the event of an accident along the way ? Also, off topic, sort of, but taking the shuttle from the Doubletree Hilton SFO Airport last year back to the airport (very early morning), the female driver had her baby (about age 18 months old) strapped into a carseat on the shuttle. The child was asleep but seriously if she woke up and was in distress, crying loudly etc., I don't know what the mother would have been able to do other than waiting to get into the airport and at a designated stop or hope that one of the van riders would assist. I felt sorry for her as she probably did not have a babysitter or this was her overnight job ? Nevertheless, it just didn't seem appropriate or safe in this setting.
Old Sep 14, 18, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
I noticed at LAX they added signs to all the shuttles about not using for Uber or Lyft. Parking spot shuttle started verifying because people were using it to go to/from in-n-out. Seems they do care in LAX for example
not because of in-n-out but because of uber... a year or two ago uber was not allowed to pick up at terminals so everyone tried to hop on some sort of shuttle - that was a rather extreme scenario.. even though uber has been back at lax many shuttles still have the sign (and when traffic is heavy it is still faster to get on some shuttle from 7 and get uber offsite - i usually use large hertz bus)
parking spot does not verify anything these days - i park there very often
Old Sep 14, 18, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by SHLTP View Post
Highly unethical. Highly.

Unless you are going to the property to spend money in some form, as a guest or to dine.
is using hotel restroom when not a guest unethical too?
Old Sep 14, 18, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I and so many other FTers are totally screwed - our bad. We're all going to hades for taking the Park 'n- Fly (or was it Parking Spot - think the latter) shuttle to get to the local In-and-Out burger literally next door to LAX & then taking it back to the airport* . Don't report it - oh wait, it's actually a thread on FT on what to do to get to INO!! Ooops.

Ok, not the same as a hotel shuttle, but seriously, on the scale of 1-10 this (thread) topic goes way, way down on my list of things to worry about (hotel shuttle). Should one do it? No. Will it matter 99% of the time? No.

* Pic is from a FT Do when AA was running a promo to LAX & FTers were flying out. If you're nice, I'll post the pic of the 'listerine' (booze) that passed TSA (Building next to INO in the pic is where the shuttle goes)

Kacee likes this.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Sep 15, 18 at 12:09 am
Old Sep 15, 18, 12:15 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
True, the Westin does not have a shuttle. Who would have thought an airport hotel would not?
Not super relevant to the thread but they used to have a shuttle. I had a brief overnight in December 2016 and used the shuttle to and from.
Old Sep 15, 18, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
True, the Westin does not have a shuttle. Who would have thought an airport hotel would not?
there are a few that don't....a few years ago i was staying near iad & was booked at a staybridge suites....a couple of days before the stay my clients needed to add another room for a colleague but the hotel was sold out, so they shifted us both to a candlewood suites....they however forgot to inform us that they made the switch....we landed at iad & got onto the shuttle for the staybridge property....when we got there they had no booking for us....i quick call to my clients sorted out the confusion & the staybridge was kind enough to drop us off at the candlewood property that was less than a mile down the road....

when we got to the right hotel the front desk agent was surprised to see us pull up in a staybridge shuttle....he confirmed that they don't have a shuttle but has never seen anyone pull up in a shuttle that belongs to another hotel....
Old Sep 15, 18, 3:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
If a person uses a hotel shuttle to go to a restaurant, and gives the driver a tip for the service, then why not just get an Uber or Lyft or something like that? It wouldn't be that much more money.
Another valuable contribution to the forum
Old Sep 15, 18, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Why? Because you disagree?

I actually think jeanie's response did add something to the discussion. She pointed out the fact that someone could act ethically for roughly the same price as cheating.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Sep 15, 18 at 11:49 pm
Old Sep 15, 18, 5:17 am

Taking a shuttle to go to the hotelís restaurant and come back is perfectly fine and thereís absolutely no problem with that. Shuttles are for customers ó diners are customers.

However if one plans to take the shuttle to go to the hotelís restaurant for a meal and then walk to a nearby hotel or airbnb apartment the situation gets a bit more sketchy, but IMO still in the realms of admissibility.
Old Sep 15, 18, 7:14 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

The Hampton also has a shuttle, just a little further but on the same side of the road as opposed to the Marriott.

And the Hampton Shuttle is not their own, they said look for "Classic Shuttle", which sounds like it services several hotels in the area.

Anyway, not sure what I'm going to do yet. Waiting for a super sale on the airfare before deciding.

My "other shuttle" story...at ORD, waiting to go to the Sheraton, shuttle never coming, never coming - saw the Holiday Inn shuttle which shares the parking lot, asked if we could get on that - driver had no problem at all.
The shuttle driver benefits from the extra tip, sure, but it's the hotel that's paying the expensive of operating the shuttle, including the cost of the vehicle, insurance, maintenance, gas and oil, the driver's cell phone or other communication device, hopefully cleaning the vehicle, and the driver's wages and employee benefits. It's not as if the driver is operating the shuttle on his/her own and working only for tips.
Old Sep 15, 18, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)
I’ve only ever done it if I’m parking at the hotel for free too.
Old Sep 15, 18, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite
Originally Posted by SHLTP View Post
Highly unethical. Highly.

Unless you are going to the property to spend money in some form, as a guest or to dine.
Blah.

In your opinion. Is there a sign on the door of the shuttle that says hotel guests/diners only? Not on the shuttles I have taken.

Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post

I actually think jeanie'sresponsedid add something to the discussion. She pointed out the fact that someone could act ethically for roughly the same price as cheating.
What is unethical? Why is it cheating? Is there a sign on the shuttle door that says guests/diners only?

You mean YOUR ethics.

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
is using hotel restroom when not a guest unethical too?
According to the "ethics" of some here, apparently so. After all, the hotel has to pay to keep the bathroom clean.
Old Sep 15, 18, 1:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
The biggest surprise to me in this thread is the popularity of "In-n-Out" (such that people go out of their way to get some)!

... only if I'm drunk. Even Jack-in-the-Crack tastes better to me
Old Sep 15, 18, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
not because of in-n-out but because of uber... a year or two ago uber was not allowed to pick up at terminals so everyone tried to hop on some sort of shuttle - that was a rather extreme scenario.. even though uber has been back at lax many shuttles still have the sign (and when traffic is heavy it is still faster to get on some shuttle from 7 and get uber offsite - i usually use large hertz bus)
parking spot does not verify anything these days - i park there very often
Hmmm I don't recall seeing the signs on my visit prior which was long after rideshare was allowed. Ill have to try parking spot next time, I've just been taking the Lot C bus and walking.

Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post
The biggest surprise to me in this thread is the popularity of "In-n-Out" (such that people go out of their way to get some)!

... only if I'm drunk. Even Jack-in-the-Crack tastes better to me
I'm sure there are better burger places but the view of inbound aircraft is the primary draw.
Old Sep 15, 18, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
If a person uses a hotel shuttle to go to a restaurant, and gives the driver a tip for the service, then why not just get an Uber or Lyft or something like that? It wouldn't be that much more money.
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post

I actually think jeanie'sresponsedid add something to the discussion. She pointed out the fact that someone could act ethically for roughly the same price as cheating.
My post is a valid point. If someone is taking a shuttle to go to a restaurant because of a layover, a shuttle can add a lot of time to the trip. I've waited at airports for a shuttle for 20 minutes or more in the past. Then you wait for the shuttle to take you back at their convenience.

In contrast, there are usually a lot of Ubers around the airport. It's a lot more efficient, especially if time is a factor.
writerguyfl likes this.

Last edited by jeanie; Sep 15, 18 at 10:19 pm

Search this Thread