Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Most ridiculous journey you've done/heard of?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most ridiculous journey you've done/heard of?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: QF
For me it was SYD-SIN-SGN for one meeting before returning back to SYD, was a hard slog down the back on Jestar. Not so crazy though having read some of the other itineraries here!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
In college one of my housemates did a MR-like trip except it wasn't an MR-- it was paid for by his employer! We were both doing engineering co-op, him in Pasadena, me in Washington D.C. He flew LAX-IAD and back same day to meet a group of visiting Russian scientists (he's a native Russian speaker) upon their arrival at IAD and help them navigate the onward trip to California.

Coincidentally I met him at the airport, having only driven from near DCA to IAD myself, because we needed to hand off some paperwork for renting our apartment for the next semester back at school.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:50 am

Did JNU-SEA-ATL-SVO-PKC once. By the end of the trip I just wanted to curl up in a fetal position and cry. It was much faster when ANC-PKC flights existed, about 35 hours faster... for good news, virtually no jet lag because of how close JNU-PKC are.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Mine wasn't the flight, but the ridiculous car ride to get to the airport.

I booked a nice flight from Memphis to Cancun. It was about $400 cheaper than flying from Nashville. My plan was to drive in from Nashville on a Friday afternoon, stay overnight in a Memphis hotel, then grab the Delta flight in the AM.

I drove the 3.5 hours to Memphis, got into my hotel room. At 5:00 I decided to log in and check in to my Delta flight. It asked for my passport number. I realized that I left my passport home.

Really stupid mistake. So, Friday, rush hour, I hop into the car, mad as heck, only to sit in traffic. It took 4 hours to get back to Nashville to grab my passport, and then another 3.5 hours to get back to Memphis. I cussed at myself for the first 2 hours, then just accepted my fate and drove quietly the rest of the trip.

Total drive time of 11 hours to catch a 2.5 hour flight to Cancun. That was the most ridiculous journey I have ever done.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
AUS-TPE in a day

I was working on a project back in 2005 and we were having a lot of issues communicating with the supplier and trying to get them to understand what we wanted. In the Friday call it became apparent that continual conference calls were pointless, so I said, I'll be there on Monday morning. I left on Sat AM from Austin. Went AUS-LAX-TPE and arrived Sunday night. Met all day Monday, got all the issues sorted out and the project back on track. Left Monday PM from TPE on the BR flight at ~6:00 PM and arrived back in Austin at 8:00PM the same day via the magic of crossing back over the International date line. . Was back at work on Tuesday morning. Good thing about such a short trip is you don't even have time to get jetlagged.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Years ago my online friends and I decided we should start meeting in person occasionally. At first it was like, "Hey, these 5 of us live in the same metro area, and so-and-so will be in town for the weekend, let's meet for dinner." Quickly these gatherings started catching on, and people considered traveling longer distances just to meet in person for a few hours. Two of our friends in Chicago decided they'd hop in a car and drive to Washington, D.C. for the next one. Their other friends and relatives were in disbelief. "You drove 14 hours each way just for dinner?!?!?!" A trip like that many not be so crazy for a lot of us FTers, but to the average person it looks pretty nuts.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
When UA still filed their PS bird out of JFK, I used to do JFK-SFO-HKG-SIN-NRT-LAX-JFK MRs.
Immediate turn around without leaving the airport.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:34 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I once flew BA 2 for a meeting that lasted about 90 minutes before flying back aboard BA 1. The ticket was book as full J, and I maxed out on the RDM allowed by American for that privilege.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Redwood839
SJO-EWR-MAN to stay in MAN for 5 hours. Picking up a piece of paper for my dog that was held in customs due to a skewed stamp . Only the owner could pick up in person in the UK and had to be back before 72 hours or dog would get put down. After the 5 hours I flew MAN-ZRH-SJO. About 29 hours of travel to be there for 5 hours.
Perhaps it's the dog lover in me, but I think yours is the only one that I don't think is crazy.

If my boss asked me to fly any of these trips, I think I'd probably tell him no effing way. But if I had to fly one of these trips to save my dogs life I'd be on the next plane out.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by t325
Perhaps it's the dog lover in me, but I think yours is the only one that I don't think is crazy.

If my boss asked me to fly any of these trips, I think I'd probably tell him no effing way. But if I had to fly one of these trips to save my dogs life I'd be on the next plane out.
I think the actual flight times and the hours are crazy, not the purpose of the trip. Would do it again in a heart beat
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:50 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
SJO-EWR-MAN to stay in MAN for 5 hours. Picking up a piece of paper for my dog that was held in customs due to a skewed stamp . Only the owner could pick up in person in the UK and had to be back before 72 hours or dog would get put down. After the 5 hours I flew MAN-ZRH-SJO. About 29 hours of travel to be there for 5 hours.
I would have totally done the same in your situation and I am happy you did too. I know too many pet owners who would not.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: CO Gold
I think the actual flight times and the hours are crazy, not the purpose of the trip. Would do it again in a heart beat
SJO is my home base,which country was going to put down your dog? CR??????????
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:02 pm

44,592 miles in 6 days including 8 red-eyes

JFK-SCL-MAD-LHR-SIN-NRT-MNL-HKG-LHR-CDG-NRT-YVR-JFK in a combo of J & F on LA/IB/BA/JL/CX. I only left the airport once.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by RustyC
... Also once did an award trip to Fargo and spent 6 days in North Dakota around Memorial Day weekend. People I knew thought it was an odd place to go on vacation, and even those in the tourism office in Fargo where I stopped (to collect maps & other free stuff) thought it unusual. I guess 98% of the people they see drive there from neighboring states.
Unlike with so many people, ND wasn't my 50th state to see. That was Vermont (on a car trip out of Montreal one April)
I did ORD-FAR-ORD using BA Avios and spent 4 hours in Fargo during which I visited the air museum next to the airport. It was my 50th state and I had a fun conversation with a flight attendant about how many FTers do this run for number 50.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by wolfie_cr
SJO is my home base,which country was going to put down your dog? CR??????????
Yes, SENASA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.