Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Pax not setting phone to flight mode. Major issue?

Pax not setting phone to flight mode. Major issue?

Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by TObject
On July 6, 2013 there was a passenger aboard Boeing 777 using mobile phone to record the landing, as the aircraft was approaching San Francisco on a regularly scheduled flight from Seoul, South Korea.

The aircraft crashed on final approach.

Coincidence?

Was usage of the personal electronic device approved for that phase of the flight?
What does that have anything to do with the pilot errors that crashed the plane?
ajGoes and smc333 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I use my phone until I lose network. I'm a private pilot and the law says phones may not be operated during critical phases of flight, this doesn't exllivioday they must be off. When I fly myself I have my phone on the entire time and generally receive messages in the air though obviously don't check them.

Total overreaction
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
An actual big issue is if you're on a plane/carrier that provides a cell carrier connection which charges you at roaming rates. Can eat up $100 easily flying across the oceans.
If that were consistently available in aircraft it would probably be the most effective means of getting people to turn of their cell phones!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
No need to overreact, this happens more often than you think, and studies have proven they don't cause interference (modern cell phones)
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: WN A+, CP, HH Diamond, National EE
In my opinion, the only reason to turn the phones to airplane mode or off is so passengers do not have phone conversations while in the air. Everyone is stuck in close quarters, and it could become extremely annoying to hear someone having a conversation, especially if they are not using their inside voice.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:17 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
My phone is usually on airplane mode even when I'm not flying.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: none
There are a lot of important issues out there regarding air travel. This is not one of them.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my wife left her phone on the first time we flew to japan(20+hrs). did not notice it still on for a couple days, she would not tell we how much roaming chargers were.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:01 pm

I think you can be sure that if there was a serious risk then it would be policed a lot more than it is.

After all why would you allow hundreds of such highly dangerous devices on board, knowing that in pro ability dozens will not be on flight safe mode?

And in any case how many accidents have resulted?

I agree with skywardhunter, total overreaction and if someone challenged me I would likely be forthright in reply....
Spiff and ajGoes like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
On that note, with LTE being a thing and it supposedly supporting operations inside high speed trains, I wonder why at least one major phone carrier hasn't thought of adding upward facing antennas on some of their towers for aircraft use. (Or maybe they have and figured out that it doesn't actually work well?) Though assuming it does work, they'd probably need to figure out a way to block voice use.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
On that note, with LTE being a thing and it supposedly supporting operations inside high speed trains, I wonder why at least one major phone carrier hasn't thought of adding upward facing antennas on some of their towers for aircraft use. (Or maybe they have and figured out that it doesn't actually work well?) Though assuming it does work, they'd probably need to figure out a way to block voice use.
Does the LTE signal work well at a distance of 15-20km? Unless the plane is directly over the antenna where it's about 11km.

Voice calls are already possible onboard aircraft, EK notably have this option. Plus of course the much cheaper Whatsapp or other VoIP calls
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Does the LTE signal work well at a distance of 15-20km? Unless the plane is directly over the antenna where it's about 11km.
LTE supposedly works up to 100km, but who knows if that's the case at aircraft speeds.
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:10 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
All agreed, but I'm willing to bet that a significant proportion of passengers don't turn their phones to Airplane Mode. I'm guilty of forgetting once, and I try to be diligent on these matters. Fortunately no accident has yet been caused by this issue, AFAIK
This. I occasionally forget, and it’s very likely that there are always a large number of people on any given flight that forget or simply don’t care. I know that I always have to remind my wife, otherwise she never does (and always arrives at he destination with a dead battery from the constant roaming).
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:00 am

I figure if it is really such a dangerous issue, you wouldn't be able to carry your phone onboard yourself. They'd probably have procedures where you'd have to put your phone in a separate safety box or something. I haven't heard about an accident related to phones either.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by KimDDD
I figure if it is really such a dangerous issue, you wouldn't be able to carry your phone onboard yourself. They'd probably have procedures where you'd have to put your phone in a separate safety box or something. I haven't heard about an accident related to phones either.
Eggsactly... planes are all about risk minimization. If there were any chance a live phone could cause trouble, they wouldn’t just trust passengers to turn them off when asked.

Still, I do it because it’s clearly desirable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.