Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you mind if I borrow your pen?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I suppose this is social media, so one should expect ridiculous statements, but calling anyone an idiot who doesn't have a pen on their body when stuck in a window or middle seat in economy is absurd. I have no doubt that the great majority of people have a pen in their carry on bag but the pen is not accessible. It seems perfectly reasonable to ask to borrow a pen from the person in the row who has one to hand. But it's also reasonable to accept that a fountain pen, or a very valuable pen, is not for lending.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Have you checked out the CBP Mobile passport app? If you have that on your phone you can bypass the paper landing card method of entering the Staes. Personally, I've got Nexus so I can use GlobalEntry to just bypass the whole song and dance.

-James
Well I carry a Costa Rican passport, so I'm not eligible for it, but that would've been awesome.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I tend to carry not only my fancier ones, but also the throwaway pens from the previous nights hotel. Couldn't care less if lend/give the hotel pen away.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
There are no "arrivals" form(s) to fill out on a domestic US flight.
Your post doesn't make a lot of sense.
Are you sure you're not confusing it with an international one - when you need to complete a customs declaration?
Are you sure you aren't getting confused? Some places like Puerto Rico may be "international" to certain Americans who work the highly skilled positions on airplanes and in airports.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by ilcannone
Who DOESN'T carry a pen with them these days? I mean come on.

This is exactly why I reply with a blunt 'no' to anyone asking.
Most people. Why would you carry a pen? Everything is done on your phone. They also have e-signatures and most purchases nowadays don't need signing (and at restaurants in the US where they refuse to use chip and pin they provide you a pen).
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
How does one know the guy hasn't had a recent dump without washing his hands? I hate people that ask to borrow a pen.
You can ask the other guys who saw him in the bathroom. It is amazing how many men don't wash their hands after using the facilities.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
I suspect you can't remember because crossing state lines (or even within a state) doesn't require an arrivals form.

"Do you mind if I…"? Such verbiage doesn't sound like a sincere request for assistance but an arrogant or condescending order.

QED

Your very communication with the man next to you says otherwise.
I always thought "do you mind" is fine. Of course tone of voice matters.

I found people are more helpful if you start with "can you help me?"
Or, for agents you speak to on the phone, "I'm not sure if you can do this ..." (I think it makes them more eager to prove they can)
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Most people. Why would you carry a pen? Everything is done on your phone. They also have e-signatures and most purchases nowadays don't need signing (and at restaurants in the US where they refuse to use chip and pin they provide you a pen).
If this were the actually case, this thread would not exist.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by amw3000
And I would have replied with "Does this guy think I am an office supply store?"

When people ask to borrow a pen, they are basically saying "I am far too lazy to get my pen from the overhead / take time to prepare for this flight". I've lost so many pen's by lending them out, often having to pick up another for a connecting flight. I just can't do it anymore.
Nice guy.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:31 am
Suspended

I am going to start carrying a pen without ink around, just to teach these fools a lesson in how to travel.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
My god what a bunch of uptight folks we have here.
As a habitual aisle seat inhabitant, I happily offer my pen to my seat mates even if they have one in the overhead so they don't have to get up to get it.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I am going to start carrying a pen without ink around, just to teach these fools a lesson in how to travel.
Oh, you tough guy, you.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by catcher1
Oh, you tough guy, you.
I don't suffer fools, and there are plenty of them in the air. It comes down to people not knowing how to travel and being ill prepared for it. Bags so heavy they have to impose on other passengers to lift them, ignorance of how to reserve seats or that seats are differentially priced so they end up demanding swaps or poaching, people trying to swim upstream after landing to get their bags from 9 rows back (and then trying to make their way back to their row for some bizarre reason) , people who don't prepare properly for TSA checks, and traveling without the common sense basics like a pen or a means to tell time.

It may not be a big deal for occasional fliers, but for those of us up there several times a week, it begins to grate on the nerves because it happens so incredibly often. I get tired of being a nanny to Kettles or worse to frequent fliers who should know better.

So yeah, the line in the sand is drawn.
Badenoch likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by s0ssos
You can ask the other guys who saw him in the bathroom. It is amazing how many men don't wash their hands after using the facilities.
It's also amazing how many men don't lift the toilet seat when they pee. I once walked into a toilet with the seat down and covered in urine, presumably from a guy who was in before me. I refused to clean it up but used tissue to lift the seat up. As I come out there's a super hot girl waiting to get in and so I had to apologise on the culprit's behalf making it clear that it wasn't me.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I don't suffer fools, and there are plenty of them in the air. It comes down to people not knowing how to travel and being ill prepared for it. Bags so heavy they have to impose on other passengers to lift them, ignorance of how to reserve seats or that seats are differentially priced so they end up demanding swaps or poaching, people trying to swim upstream after landing to get their bags from 9 rows back (and then trying to make their way back to their row for some bizarre reason) , people who don't prepare properly for TSA checks, and traveling without the common sense basics like a pen or a means to tell time.

It may not be a big deal for occasional fliers, but for those of us up there several times a week, it begins to grate on the nerves because it happens so incredibly often. I get tired of being a nanny to Kettles or worse to frequent fliers who should know better.

So yeah, the line in the sand is drawn.
You need to fly private because it's never, ever going to get better. The airline's and the authorities continually change and, frankly, complexify (?) the rules, so infrequent travelers are never going to catch up. They don't even want to. What must be especially grating to you is when they do all those things that irritate you, they don't even care. The rolleyes, the impatient sighs, the tapping of the feet don't even register. They don't care you're being inconvenienced by their presence any more than you care about their issues generally caused by their unfamiliarity with flying.
All this - let's call it what it is - self absorption - really makes traveling so much less pleasant for everyone. But maybe even less pleasant for you since you take their behavior as a personal imposition.
It's like going to Costco and complaining about the check out lines. It's like complaining about the weather. Costco delivers, you can stay indoors, and there's private aviation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.