Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you mind if I borrow your pen?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
In all honesty I can't understand why someone would invest hundreds of dollars on a pen they use everyday. If you need a bicycle lock to protect your pen you're doing something wrong!
Why? If it's something you use everyday, that's even more reason to invest in good quality to make your everyday tasks more enjoyable. Once you find one that writes well, without smudging or scratching, you can just stick with it and never have to think about it again. A $100 pen that lasts 25 years really isn't that expensive. Plus, if you ever have to backdate documents, you're much less likely to get caught (I'm kidding...really).
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Low Roller
Why? If it's something you use everyday, that's even more reason to invest in good quality to make your everyday tasks more enjoyable. Once you find one that writes well, without smudging or scratching, you can just stick with it and never have to think about it again. A $100 pen that lasts 25 years really isn't that expensive. Plus, if you ever have to backdate documents, you're much less likely to get caught (I'm kidding...really).
Disclaimer : I am not a stylophile by any means but appreciate a good quality pen.

I think you are confusing the ink with the pen. It is the ink that determines qualities like smudging, flow, etc. The pen part to some extent impacts delivery but I always thought the main appeal of the pen was how it felt in your hand (i.e. weight and balance) and whether it's something that's comfortable for your writing habits (i.e. if you're a writer working on dozens of pages of a book). The former tends to be cheaper than the latter (i.e. most ink carts are between $3-$30 depending on brand, qualities, etc.) whereas the barrel or proper part of the pen can cost hundreds of dollars.

-James
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Anderson24
I must say that I am suprised by the replies here. I would probably never refuse to lend a pen to anyone, as a matter of courtesy.

I find it even less defensible as it was a cheap one and this happened in a confined space.

Sure, you have the right not to lend your pen and the OP's comment that ensued was unnecessary, but refusing to help when it comes at no cost to you is a sad behaviour in my opinion...
Of course. I'm very surprised by many of the responses here to the situation.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by jackb1
Sounds strange he wouldn't lend someone a pen, although the staff on the plane would presumably have one.

Still, there are certain way to go about things - this wasn't one of them!
Sometimes I have extra hotel pens.

Sometimes I don't, because the passengers on the last flight took them all.

I'm required to keep one on my person at all times so you're not getting that one, sorry.

Why don't the FAs just hand out pens? Flying into HND from HKG a couple months ago I noticed the FAs had a bundle of pens they carried with landing forms they handed out to passengers. Those pens also had the nice ANA branding on them so I asked for one even though I knew full well I had a working poem in my bag! Seems like a marketing opportunity missed!

Safe Travels,

James
It could be weight, it could be cost.

I know UAL used to have them in the amenity kits for BusinessFirst, and even a mini pen into the first round of "Polaris" kits. I don't think I've seen them in awhile, though.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

youve used the same pen for 29 years ? Lol
Some of my pens are 50 or 60 years old. Most ballpoints are throw away junk. Good pens are forever.

DON
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I think you are confusing the ink with the pen. It is the ink that determines qualities like smudging, flow, etc. The pen part to some extent impacts delivery but I always thought the main appeal of the pen was how it felt in your hand (i.e. weight and balance) and whether it's something that's comfortable for your writing habits (i.e. if you're a writer working on dozens of pages of a book). The former tends to be cheaper than the latter (i.e. most ink carts are between $3-$30 depending on brand, qualities, etc.) whereas the barrel or proper part of the pen can cost hundreds of dollars.
I agree that the feel (and look) of the pen are most important But most brands take specific refills, so that's a consideration too -- Some are better than others. Once you have one you like and know which refills you like (fine point, medium point, etc.) you can stick with the same type for years and generally get consistent results (although I've occasionally purchased a bad batch of refills, but it's rare).

But, I fear we are getting too far off-topic. The bottom line for me is that I'm not lending anyone my good pens in case they don't get returned or get returned as a germ-covered mess, but if I have some cheapo plastic ones on hand, I will gladly share and would hope that others would do the same if I were ever in need.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AX
Originally Posted by Anderson24
I must say that I am suprised by the replies here. I would probably never refuse to lend a pen to anyone, as a matter of courtesy.

I find it even less defensible as it was a cheap one and this happened in a confined space.

Sure, you have the right not to lend your pen and the OP's comment that ensued was unnecessary, but refusing to help when it comes at no cost to you is a sad behaviour in my opinion...
I could hardly agree more. Excluding some out of the ordinary scenarios where the person next to me has behaved like a total jerk throughout the flight or I only have my family heirloom $$$$ pen, I personally have hard time to come up what I would lose to help out someone with something as minuscule as lending them a pen for a couple of minutes. Considering germs I would guess that most of us are forced to handle way worse things when traveling unless I have specific reasons to think otherwise. Each to his/her own.

That said I cannot remember the last time I needed to borrow a pen myself but based on the comments of the this thread I will make an extra effort to make 100% sure I will always have one on me when flying.
catcher1 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by jburns513
Please consider that he may have only been carrying a “nice” and valuable pen. In my pocket I usually have a Mont Blanc pen I have used for 29 years. Once at a trade show I lent it to another agents’ customer, who walked off with it after writing her order. After my associate’s urgent cellphone call I got it back, but I don’t hand it out anymore.
I once lent out a fountain pen and it came back with the nib bent...so...yeah I no longer lend out pens, or I have a cheap BIC in my bag and that's all you get.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
I once lent out a fountain pen and it came back with the nib bent...so...yeah I no longer lend out pens, or I have a cheap BIC in my bag and that's all you get.
Replacement nibs are all of 4 dollars
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by donaldsc
I almost never use anything but a fountain pen and nobody ever borrows any of my fountain pens - even my wife. For the few times that I am forced to use a ballpoint(I hate them) or a roller ball(hate them less but I still hate them), I carry good examples of them with me also. My wife gets to borrow them but nobody else gets to borrow them. I will add with regard to my fountain pens that I own pens that cost my than $1000. My daily use fountain pens cost between $100 and $200.

As an aside, I just don't lend stuff to anyone. If you can't remember to take a pen w them, that is your problem and not mine.

DON
What about your astronaut pen?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368
Most likely, you just caught someone having a bad day and in a foul mood. I think it is a bit strange but it is his pen so i am not sure if it is rude. Best course of action is to shrug it off and say "OK no problem".
It's his pen, and his right to lend / not lend. He is rude not to lend, because it's such a wildly unusual and obviously disappointing response.

Analogous situation: I am a customer, it is my right to tip / not tip. It is rude for me not to tip, assuming there is a customary tip.

Bottom line: exercising one's "right" may go hand in hand with being rude.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Replacement nibs are all of 4 dollars
I suspect that's not the case if your pen cost $1000!

At that point do you have to take out property insurance for it? What would the claim look like for that? Lent pen to seatmate on UA1 and was never returned. Flash to inspector Clouseau tracking down the pen thief!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I feel for OP. But if I was in a similar situation, I would not lend out my own pen.

That's why the pen I carry during travel has the word "UNITED" on it

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
There are no "arrivals" form(s) to fill out on a domestic US flight.
Your post doesn't make a lot of sense.
Are you sure you're not confusing it with an international one - when you need to complete a customs declaration?
In addition to Hawaiian flights, GUM-HNL or vv (non-stop, non-Island Hopper) is another domestic flight that require customs declarations.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
In all honesty I can't understand why someone would invest hundreds of dollars on a pen they use everyday. If you need a bicycle lock to protect your pen you're doing something wrong!
If you're going to use something every day, isn't it worth getting the best even if it costs a bit? Spending a lot of money on something you use only a couple of times a year seems sillier.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by donaldsc
I almost never use anything but a fountain pen and nobody ever borrows any of my fountain pens - even my wife. For the few times that I am forced to use a ballpoint(I hate them) or a roller ball(hate them less but I still hate them), I carry good examples of them with me also. My wife gets to borrow them but nobody else gets to borrow them. I will add with regard to my fountain pens that I own pens that cost my than $1000. My daily use fountain pens cost between $100 and $200.
Do you plan to take these pens with you in your grave?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.