Reload this Page >

Do you mind if I borrow your pen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you mind if I borrow your pen?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:43 pm

Travelers should help travelers . Actually people should help other people but especially travelers should help travelers . It's easy to forget something or misplace something and not realize until too late .
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Who DOESN'T carry a pen with them these days? I mean come on.

This is exactly why I reply with a blunt 'no' to anyone asking.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
You asked a question and got a clear answer, they only person to be criticized is you, stupidity for not having a pen and then for absolute childish rudeness.

Entitled??DUH !
MSPeconomist and ilcannone like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Most likely, you just caught someone having a bad day and in a foul mood. I think it is a bit strange but it is his pen so i am not sure if it is rude. Best course of action is to shrug it off and say "OK no problem".
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: Miles & More FTL
I must say that I am suprised by the replies here. I would probably never refuse to lend a pen to anyone, as a matter of courtesy.

I find it even less defensible as it was a cheap one and this happened in a confined space.

Sure, you have the right not to lend your pen and the OP's comment that ensued was unnecessary, but refusing to help when it comes at no cost to you is a sad behaviour in my opinion...
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Anyone can borrow any of my pens at any time.
Helsinki Flyer and gregoryad like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by jburns513
Please consider that he may have only been carrying a “nice” and valuable pen. In my pocket I usually have a Mont Blanc pen I have used for 29 years. Once at a trade show I lent it to another agents’ customer, who walked off with it after writing her order. After my associate’s urgent cellphone call I got it back, but I don’t hand it out anymore.
youve used the same pen for 29 years ? Lol
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Anderson24
I must say that I am suprised by the replies here. I would probably never refuse to lend a pen to anyone, as a matter of courtesy.

I find it even less defensible as it was a cheap one and this happened in a confined space.

Sure, you have the right not to lend your pen and the OP's comment that ensued was unnecessary, but refusing to help when it comes at no cost to you is a sad behaviour in my opinion...
Couldn't have put it better myself. For me it's not a matter of someone's rights or obligations but rather being courteous and helpful to a fellow human being which in this case would have cost nothing. The contamination argument is pretty flimsy given that most travellers could potentially pick up germs by touching a seat, seatbelt, overhead locker handle, toilet door etc.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

There's a guy at my work who has worn the same pair of shoes for 36 years. A few sole replacements along the way I am sure.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by jackb1
Sounds strange he wouldn't lend someone a pen, although the staff on the plane would presumably have one.

Still, there are certain way to go about things - this wasn't one of them!
How does one know the guy hasn't had a recent dump without washing his hands? I hate people that ask to borrow a pen.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

I have one that I've been using for 26 years. At this point, it's almost part of my hand and it feels odd to use another pen. I've actually purchased a few others in the exact same style (just different finishes).
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:31 am

Just two weeks ago, I was in the same predicament as the OP. I was going from the US to Canada and had a brand new carry on bag with me.
When the flight attendant started passing out entry forms, that's when I realized that I forgot to pack any pens in my new carry on. The flight attendants specifically said that they did not have any pens and to ask your neighbor.
Well, I was in the first class cabin and my neighbor didn't look too friendly so I decided not to ask him.
Upon arrival, my plan was to hope they had tables, forms, and pens before immigration. My hope turned out to be true. I used one of those bank pens on a line connected to the table. It ended up being a 2minute delay but to me was itworth it over facing an awkward situation .

​​​​​​I personally have no problems loaning a pen but just don't want to bother anyone.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by teddybear99
It wasn't his wife who made the remark, the OP did...

Too bad the OP doesn't have access yet to OMNI, as this should actually be in the "I need to vent" thread.
Thanks. Misread the original post and have corrected mine.

Yes, it is too bad he doesn't have OMNI access. He'll find many like-minded posters there.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
Some people are just selfish, but I can see reasonable reasons behind the refusal.

I personally wash my hands at the first chance I get after getting off an airplane because the surfaces are so contaminated by dirt, grime, DNA, and micro-organisms. Airplanes, and the people on them, are generally gross.

I don't want a stranger handling my pen - I don't know where your hands have been! It isn't your seat neighbor's responsibility to have a pen for you. Even though it would have been nice of him to loan the pen, he is within his rights to be selfish and I'm sure you found plenty of pens in the CBP area at your arrival airport and went about your day with minimal delay anyway.
I never thought of this. Half the people don't wash their hands after using the restroom. That's gross.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
If I have to lend my pen to someone , I always keep the cap with me.

This always ensures that it is returned .

PS : I always use a Uniball by mitsubishi. It costs around Ł2 and makes my illegible handwriting look nice ( but still illegible)
That's almost too smart for most people....

I have to admit, i am from the hotel pens group - always carry one or even 2 for international flights.

On a related note... I do get momentarily offended when the flight attendant presumes I need to fill out a landing card on flights back home to London where I am born... Grrr....calm down....ok now....

Oh and why do we even need landing cards still? Can this genuinely still not be automated??? ...so I finally get to retain my souvenir hotel pen for myself.

Last edited by littlemissflyer; Sep 7, 2018 at 5:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.