FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Acceptable Food To Bring Onboard (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1928808-acceptable-food-bring-onboard.html)

FT01 Sep 3, 2018 6:46 pm

Acceptable Food To Bring Onboard

Anyone have any strong feelings of what is, and is not, acceptable food to bring onboard a UA 757-200 for a TATL flight? In economy, i.e. tight shared space.

Obviously eggs will not be coming with me. But sensible suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

zrs70 Sep 3, 2018 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by FT01 (Post 30163578)
Anyone have any strong feelings of what is, and is not, acceptable food to bring onboard a UA 757-200 for a TATL flight? In economy, i.e. tight shared space.

Obviously eggs will not be coming with me. But sensible suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

You can probably best answer the question if you put yourself in your neighbor’s place. What would you NOT want to be next to?

FT01 Sep 3, 2018 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 30163583)

You can probably best answer the question if you put yourself in your neighbor’s place. What would you NOT want to be next to?

Thanks for your input.

sinoflyer Sep 3, 2018 6:54 pm

Fried chicken is always “Economy Flier Friendly.”

mahasamatman Sep 3, 2018 7:01 pm

Low or no odor is the only requirement I would specify.

tvhead Sep 3, 2018 7:02 pm

For trans oceanic in econ, I bring some combination of these choices: Nut/Chocolate Trail Mix, Beef/Turkey Jerky, String Cheese, ziplock with some slices of salami or roast beef, ziplock of triscuit crackers. I also bring half a dozen paper napkins.

And then if I'm feeling really trashy: I buy a McDonalds McDouble and wrap in saran wrap. It's my secret travel vice.

In general, I choose protein over carbohydrates (the chocolate not withstanding). Since I won't be physically active, I don't need instant energy. I just want to keep my blood sugar nicely balanced. And I don't want things that are messy to eat (pizza, vegetables and ranch dip, etc).

If the intent of the question is: what would be offensive to others: Stinky, messy foods.

Finally, if you have few small, shareable items (bite size candy bar, a string cheese) to offer to a neighbor you could engender good will and better armrest relations.

FT01 Sep 3, 2018 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by tvhead (Post 30163621)
For trans oceanic in econ, I bring some combination of these choices: Nut/Chocolate Trail Mix, Beef/Turkey Jerky, String Cheese, ziplock with some slices of salami or roast beef, ziplock of triscuit crackers. I also bring half a dozen paper napkins.

And then if I'm feeling really trashy: I buy a McDonalds McDouble and wrap in saran wrap. It's my secret travel vice.

In general, I choose protein over carbohydrates (the chocolate not withstanding). Since I won't be physically active, I don't need instant energy. I just want to keep my blood sugar nicely balanced. And I don't want things that are messy to eat (pizza, vegetables and ranch dip, etc).

If the intent of the question is: what would be offensive to others: Stinky, messy foods.

Finally, if you have few small, shareable items (bite size candy bar, a string cheese) to offer to a neighbor you could engender good will and better armrest relations.

Thankyou for your suggestions.

My departure airport doesn't have a McDonald's, unfortunately. But I do happily eat that food cold if need be.

It sounds like my thoughts on it pretty much match yours - a sandwich and some nibbles is fine, but nothing that reeks - eggs, samosas, anything that needs a dip.

I always offer my seat mate(s) an anti-bacterial wipe as soon as they're settled anyway. This helps them think I'm a decent person, whilst also getting rid of bacteria near me, which would bother me (mildly) otherwise.

I understand people will think the answer to my question is an obvious one, but I just wanted to garner some thoughts to avoid being 'that guy' with the chicken/ham sandwich & everyone hates me for it.
And I will bring chocolates. Good idea.

And no worries on the vegetable front! :)

writerguyfl Sep 3, 2018 8:04 pm

The fact that you are even asking the question means you're more courteous than many people. Trust your own intuition on this one and I think you'll be fine.

chrisl137 Sep 3, 2018 8:07 pm

One of my best in-flight meals ever was a turkey sandwich on homemade olive bread.

NoLaGent Sep 3, 2018 8:08 pm

I like non-stinky deli fare for those kinds of flights. Turkey with havarti on dutch crunch, for example.

AndyPatterson Sep 3, 2018 8:29 pm

at least one airline (SQ?) specifically bans durian!

Also avoid anything with pickles or vinegar -- the acid smell is too sour in a confined space.

txaggiemiles Sep 3, 2018 8:36 pm

Do eggs smell? I’ve never thought of eggs as a particularly offensive scent. “Rotten eggs” is an offensive odor but has a very particular connotation to me beyond just “eggs” (I.e. sulphur)

Ive always thought it was somewhat rude for people to bring fast food on board like McDonalds or a pizza as literally the whole plane would smell it. Any type of cold cut sandwich whether homemade or not would be fine. And I do like the chocolate idea for sharing.

kale73 Sep 3, 2018 8:38 pm

From one of my favorite films (start around 0:26):

GRB051111 Sep 3, 2018 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 30163617)
Low or no odor is the only requirement I would specify.

Also, low or no sound, e.g., not pistachio ;)

geminidreams Sep 3, 2018 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by FT01 (Post 30163578)

Thanks in advance

A big bag of nuts!