Acceptable Food To Bring Onboard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acceptable Food To Bring Onboard

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'd just roll with a small bag of trail mix unless you have highly unusual dietary needs that require you to eat something super-frequently. Maybe toss in a couple protein bars if you're concerned about flight delays.

The maximum range of the 757 will prevent you from starving.

I rarely bring food aboard for the simple reason that it's usually messy and I don't want to deal with the clutter.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by arkellvspressdram
Practically every food stuff smell is going to be offensive to someone - the smell of booze is offensive to some people - and only the most egregious will be banned by the airline. I guess it comes back to the old "if it's that bad, fly private and don't take the flying bus".
I once sat next to someone who said the smell of my orange made him nauseated. I filed that as "his problem, not mine".

Yes, there is someone who would object to anything you could imagine. Personally I hate the smell of coffee, but I shut up and don't complain about it because other people enjoy it. Exercise a reasonable degree of courtesy, don't make a mess and then don't worry about it.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
I will be on 5 domestic flights in China on various airlines in October on a tour- I will not eat any food on them.Period.
Packing Starkist tuna and/or chicken foil packs with crackers; granola bars;hopefully a banana from the breakfast in our hotels and plastic utensils. Hope the tuna doesn't bother people.
If time permits I hope to grab items from various Priority Pass lounges. Crossing fingers.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:15 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
A nice pastrami sandwich on rye bread with a pickle. Not a choice unfortunately for odor but so good.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I once sat next to someone who said the smell of my orange made him nauseated. I filed that as "his problem, not mine".
I personally like oranges, but I can see where that one falls into the "powerful odor" category. I would opt for something less smelly on a plane.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
I will be on 5 domestic flights in China on various airlines in October on a tour- I will not eat any food on them.Period.
Packing Starkist tuna and/or chicken foil packs with crackers; granola bars;hopefully a banana from the breakfast in our hotels and plastic utensils. Hope the tuna doesn't bother people.
If time permits I hope to grab items from various Priority Pass lounges. Crossing fingers.
Tuna on a flight.. something I'd definitely not want to catch a whiff of..
enviroian and DeepUnderground like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Do eggs smell? I’ve never thought of eggs as a particularly offensive scent. “Rotten eggs” is an offensive odor but has a very particular connotation to me beyond just “eggs” (I.e. sulphur)

Ive always thought it was somewhat rude for people to bring fast food on board like McDonalds or a pizza as literally the whole plane would smell it. Any type of cold cut sandwich whether homemade or not would be fine. And I do like the chocolate idea for sharing.
hell yeah eggs stink. I hate them.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:01 pm

I take the triscuits with cucumber and cheese slices. Maybe some pepperoni as well.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I personally like oranges, but I can see where that one falls into the "powerful odor" category. I would opt for something less smelly on a plane.
Unless it's rotten or an exotic variety, an orange has relatively little odor. Putting them in "powerful odor" category is ridiculous.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA
cabbage rolls. ask the FA to heat them up for you.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: VS, BA, C, C++, IoT
Originally Posted by Yachtman
Sushi!
Only if you're going to eat it very quickly! Firstly, raw fish doesn't do well unrefrigerated. That's one way you can get food poisoning, particularly Salmonella.

Another is the rice itself. A bacterium called Bacillus cereus can grow on cooked rice - again, boosted by lack of refrigeration.

You'd be far better off taking food and snacks on board that are in sealed packages. Eat sandwiches and other fresh food early, so there's no risk of spoilage. Leave the snacks until later. For pity's sake, don't take fruit or meat on international flights, unless you're going to eat everything (in the packages you unseal, if packaged)!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
My only requests are: nothing that smells, nothing that spills easily, and please try to stay away from nuts (or at least be willing to not eat them if your seat mate is allergic) since nut allergies are incredibly common (and becoming more so. 1 in 13 people!) and nuts generate a dust which can set off an allergic reaction in some. I always travel with extra epi-pens for my peanut-allergic daughter but I wonder if we could get to the ground in time if she reacted.

Other food allergies are less common and also generally less likely to cause a reaction unless the allergic person actually eats them

Thanks for asking
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FT01
Starting in the UK, so no Panera. But something similar will be available.
Thanks though
If you are leaving from the UK, pretty much anything from a Pret, Eat or Leon (at least one of which is in pretty well every airport) would work just fine. Apart from the sushi, they should all be ok for 10 hours or so.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Unless it's rotten or an exotic variety, an orange has relatively little odor. Putting them in "powerful odor" category is ridiculous.
When I cut open a regular orange I get from the grocery store, I can absolutely smell it from three feet away, or roughly the distance from your tray table in Y to your seatmate's nose. I'm not personally offended by it (in fact, I rather like the smell of a fresh orange), but I totally get that some people don't and those people might find it overpowering at close range.

It's not something I'd choose to bring on an airplane, out of consideration for the people around me. I'd just pick something less smelly.
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by chris8796
No outside food please. My two giant service animals are sensitive to a variety of foods and smells.
I am allergic to your service animals and statistically allergic to about half the food choices they may serve on the plane. Who wins, then?
kingstontoon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.