Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Acceptable Food To Bring Onboard

Acceptable Food To Bring Onboard

Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
I remember a Freddy Laker flight around 1980 where my boyfriend and I had a loaf of bread, some cheese, ham, I think some apples - and our trusty SWISS ARMY KNIFE! Picnics were encouraged.

Recently on a Norwegian Air flight I had a lovely bag of cashews I bought just for snacking on and at the start of the flight they requested, due to someone with an allergy, that no one partake of eating ANY NUTS on the flight. Just my luck. So if you bring nuts, bring a back up. I like bagels and cream cheese. And there are these apple slices in a clear package that has some sort of gas in the bag that keeps them fresh. Probably bad for you but they taste great on the plane. Very refreshing! And if you eat them all, no problem with agriculture inspectors.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As this is not airline specific and is probably of interest to a wider audience, will move to TravelBuzz

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

A bag of nuts, with M&Ms, yogurt balls, and dried fruit can sustain one for long trips and creates no objectable odors or mess -- and tastes great.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

Ive always thought it was somewhat rude for people to bring fast food on board like McDonalds or a pizza as literally the whole plane would smell it. Any type of cold cut sandwich whether homemade or not would be fine. And I do like the chocolate idea for sharing.
Agreed. I would rather be next to cold sardines than ANY hot, wafting food.

Also, a lot of people have suggested nuts, but the way my stomach reacts to nuts...let's just say that there might be a problem even though they don't smell right now.

All of this is to say, different people have different dietary needs and you should bring the food that you need. As long as you aren't leaving your sardines open for the duration of the flight, eat what you need to for 5 minutes and people will survive so that you can get through your 15 hour flight.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:45 pm

Don't bring anything. Long flights are great for mini-fasts.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Sushi!
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:19 am

Cheese and cucumber sandwich, crisp and chocolate bar. Though depending on when you make your sandwich, cucumber will make it soggy. Pack cucumber separately and make it on board. or else just go with plain cheese sandwich. If want something a bit heavier any of cold cut meats and cheese with a bit of spread.

As for people claiming to avoid food that smells, what about when airline serve their food. They smell as well. You could eat your food when they start serving airline food - to align the smell of foods !
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
As for people claiming to avoid food that smells, what about when airline serve their food. They smell as well. You could eat your food when they start serving airline food - to align the smell of foods !
Yes I wouldn't dream of eating my usual carry on of gefilte fish starter, mackerel and egg curry with kimchi main, some ripe durian and epoisses for afters unless the rest of the cabin was being served at the same time

Practically every food stuff smell is going to be offensive to someone - the smell of booze is offensive to some people - and only the most egregious will be banned by the airline. I guess it comes back to the old "if it's that bad, fly private and don't take the flying bus".
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Yachtman
Sushi!
Sushi and sashimi are my favorite foods to bring on an airplane. The only problem is the envious glances of fellow passengers.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by FT01
Anyone have any strong feelings of what is, and is not, acceptable food to bring onboard a UA 757-200 for a TATL flight? In economy, i.e. tight shared space.

Obviously eggs will not be coming with me. But sensible suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
When I fly EWR-HNL in first I usually pack a cheese, crackers, and meat snack. The food is abysmal for the prices and length of flight. I get some looks sometimes cause the cheese smells a bit-- but its tasty and I'm happy.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
I was on a red-eye flight from SFO-ATL leaving around 11PM-Midnight and the person in the row in front of us decided to eat extra extra hot wings...so not that
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by FT01
Anyone have any strong feelings of what is, and is not, acceptable food to bring onboard a UA 757-200 for a TATL flight? In economy, i.e. tight shared space.
Go to nearby Panera Bread next to the airport and take any non-soup item, like sandwich or salad with you. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited by invisible; Sep 4, 2018 at 12:36 pm
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
Go to nearby Panera Bread next to the airport and take any non-soup sandwich or salad with you. You won't be disappointed.
Starting in the UK, so no Panera. But something similar will be available.
Thanks though
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fes426
I was on a red-eye flight from SFO-ATL leaving around 11PM-Midnight and the person in the row in front of us decided to eat extra extra hot wings...so not that
I wouldn't dream of taking those on a flight purely for the mess factor.
but what was worse - the immediate smell and noise, or the 'reminders' later?
I can't imagine why someone would think that an acceptable choice to take onboard. Though flights seem to bring out the worst in people.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Things that are not smelly and don't make a huge mess.

Good ideas include trail mix, nuts, protein bars etc. So far as hot foods go...well, most hot foods smell no matter what they are. Avoid them. Sandwiches are always a good one, provided they have non-smelly ingredients.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Cant think of much worse than sitting next to someone eating cold greasy smelly McDonalds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.