Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

National traffic alerts on the radio - what's the point?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.

In this modern age where most people use technology to plan and monitor their travel routes, what is the point of regular traffic alerts on the radio? It seems to me that the chances of a report being of any practical use to anyone is extremely low.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I listen to traffic reports on the radio if I'm driving in a big city. I wish everyone would do that instead of playing with their phones and causing more crashes!
BearX220 and ryw like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I regularly listen to traffic reports for anything that comes up after I start driving, as I can't do things like check the traffic map while I'm driving.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I listen to traffic reports on the radio if I'm driving in a big city. I wish everyone would do that instead of playing with their phones and causing more crashes!
Originally Posted by wrp96
I regularly listen to traffic reports for anything that comes up after I start driving, as I can't do things like check the traffic map while I'm driving.
Perhaps localised reports might be useful. I was referring to - for example - Radio 5 in the UK where the reports cover the whole country. It seems like a very large waste of time for virtually all listeners.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by golfmad
Perhaps localised reports might be useful. I was referring to - for example - Radio 5 in the UK where the reports cover the whole country. It seems like a very large waste of time for virtually all listeners.
The stations where I live only have localized reports, so I'm not familiar with ones that cover a broader area.
golfmad likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Radio in the US is a totally local enterprise, so contemporaneous traffic reports are actually useful. In nations with national radio service, I agree that traffic reports are a useless vestige of the past. They can't really cover all the traffic issues in the country, and while knowing about a 6 km tailback entering Leeds may be interesting, it's useless ( and maybe just irritating) if I'm stuck in a construction jam near Coventry that's never been mentioned.
wrp96, golfmad and BearX220 like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Yes, good points. I'll ask to have the thread title changed to "National traffic alerts on the radio".
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:26 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Yes, good points. I'll ask to have the thread title changed to "National traffic alerts on the radio".
Done!
golfmad likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: none
In this modern age where most people use technology to plan and monitor their travel routes, what is the point of regular traffic alerts on the radio? It seems to me that the chances of a report being of any practical use to anyone is extremely low.
About as useful as having aerial coverage from a blimp of an event inside a domed stadium.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I think having traffic reports on the radio are extremely useful. Waze and Google Maps and such are not always as up to date, and I don't get traffic alerts with Google unless I'm navigating - something I don't need to do for the commute I've made 10 years and counting! Just because the national reports that you mention are not helping you doesn't mean they aren't helping thousands of folks every day. Can't you just tune to a different station when the traffic report comes on, or use your "modern age technology" to stream something?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
If I'm in the D/FW Metroplex going south on 360 headed for I-20 west, the fact that northbound 75 at Parker Rd has two lanes closed is useless to me. But I can't make them stick to reports only on 360 and I-20. It's one radio station, and the Metroplex is quite large, so the majority of the incidents reported are not on my path or even nearby. Sure the UK is a whole country but it's not that big, nothing like the lower 48.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:41 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Back in the day, New Orleans radio station WWL could be heard throughout the eastern two-thirds of the U.S. at night (it probably still can, but I haven't checked in a while). They catered to long-haul truckers and they would give traffic reports and weather information for the entire country.
Radio used to be a lot more fun than it is now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.