Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Business Travel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Athena53
I never did figure out what the reasons were behind a compulsory corporate card with no rewards to the traveler (beyond "it will allow us to track expenses more efficiently", which could also be done via interface with the automated expense account system). I was pretty sure that the $ not spent by the credit card issuer for awards somehow got back to the company.
Our major travel expenses (air, hotel, car) all generally get booked by the in house TAs or itemized in the travel reports, but meals & entertainment are on per-diem so they aren't tracked. Things like parking & tolls we don't need receipts for less than $75 or something like that anymore and they often can't be put on a card, so there's not a lot of tracking benefit to a corporate card, especially since a lot of the major hotel and car chain receipts are automatically linked to concur now.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist
A few tips that I can think of:
If you are arriving somewhere late and will need to eat (I am West Coast based, so often am arriving on the East Coast at 9-10pm, but hungry for dinner), be sure to have searched ahead of time food options that are close to your hotel as a lot of restaurants close their kitchen around 9:30p in quieter areas of town. If there is nothing on-site or close by that works, Grubhub/UberEats/etc. is your friend. In those situations, I am often ordering while still in my Uber from the airport to the hotel. A quick call to the front desk to accept your food for you if stuck in traffic has never been a problem.

Carry enough external power to recharge your phone at least twice and carry headphones. When your flight is delayed or cancelled due to weather, you can burn through a whole battery waiting on hold for the airline if the lines are jammed. Less of a problem as you ascend the elite ranks, but still a good practice. The headphones are so you can talk on the phone while still looking at the screen to read off your reservation numbers, etc.

Pre-program the 800 number of all the hotel chains and airlines you use into your phone. Being able to dial one-handed from your contacts while walking is a must when travel plans are changing rapidly.

Noise cancelling earphones will leave you less tired after a long flight. I use the noise cancelling feature even when not listening to music on a plane.

Get Global Entry as soon as possible. Many times being Global Entry/Precheck has been the difference between me making the flight or not.

A pair of big binder clips can get the curtains in a hotel room to really shut fully when you are trying to sleep in beyond sunrise.

Having 6ft charging cables and a small multi-plug is a godsend in an airport or hotel room with limited available plugs.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
I agree with everything in this thread 400% Add in:

-Get a packet of silicone earplugs and keep them in your bag...you never know which rooms will be noisy.

-Check to see if your company has an in lieu of policy, where you can stay over a weekend, travel to a 3rd location or fly someone in as long as the total price does not exceed 2 Mon-Thur trips. I can name at least a dozen memorable weekend trips that I've had, on the company dime, because of this.

-Check to see which airline has the most flights out of your home airport. Pick this and another (preferably one with different coverage) to concentrate your airline points. I have Delta (first choice, due to program and international travel) and Jet Blue (BOS's biggest airline and they have directs to ORD and SJU, which DL does not)

-Always pack a comfy pair 'after work' outfit for your hotel room. For a while, I packed slippers and jammies, but now I just do thick wool socks, long sleeve tshirt and light cotton sweatpants....so that I can shuffle outside of my room in my 'hotel room outfit' (to pick up food orders that are delivered to the front desk..which I would never do in my jammies).

--Just say no. Some folks don't like to socialize after work, and if you are not one of them, gracefully demur. Now, you may miss out on some fun times (or feel a bit excluded) but ultimately, you need to do what's best for you.

-Understand what's reasonable and customary for your company, but always adhere to policy. That can get you fired.

-If your company card is AMEX, upgrade to Platinum immediately. I waited for years to do it, and once I had it, I could not understand how I had lived without it previously (mostly for the free lounge benefit). And pay your AMEX on time, every time, otherwise you lose your points.

-Always carry a tiny kit with a few Tylenol, Imodium and Benedryl. You don't want to leave the room when you need medicine to resolve your headache, stop up your aching bowels or when you can't sleep, respectively. And if you're sick, don't hesitate to ask the hotel to send up chicken noodle soup and saltines...most are incredibly understanding.

-Get good noise cancelling headphones. If your initial budget doesn't allow for full BOSE headset (my didn't at first) at least get good noise cancelling earbuds (like Shure SE535)and a music player (I don't like to use my phone, it's a huge battery killer).

-Program not only the 800 numbers for main providers e.g. (Hyatt, Delta) in your phone, but also the local number and your account number. This will allow you to see your FF account number when you are calling them, and non 800 numbers are essential when traveling outside the US. True story, I was once overseas and I could not get thru on Delta's non 800 number... so I had to phone a US colleague who conferenced me into a Delta rep in ATL. For the really important numbers keep a piece of paper in your wallet for the day your phone dies (because it will).

-When traveling outside the US, make a copy of your passport and drivers license and keep it in a location separate from your passport. Lock up your passport the minute you get to a foreign hotel and keep the paper copy on your person (or vice versa). Also make sure any medical issues are written on that paper (I have a life threatening allergy to aspirin, I have a big skull and bones and picture of a dead person next to the word aspirin, in case I am in a country where English is not the first or second language).

-Buy the best rollaboard your money will allow and try not to check bags. Check the gazillion other FT threads for recommendations on luggage and packing.

-I don't necessarily agree with the 'business casual at all times' credo, particularly when you are among peers. If you are with your boss, keep it business casual until they dress otherwise. Otherwise, keep it nice casual (no nasty slogans on your tshirts, body parts appropriately covered)

-After work, you can let your hair down a bit, but maintain professionalism at all times. My credo is, if you wouldn't do it in front of your boss or mother, don't do it on a business trip (If you want to have an 'encounter' just be prepared for it not to be a secret....caution is strongly advised here, particularly if you are just starting out in your professional career...you don't want to become 'that guy' or 'that girl'.). Two cautionary tales..my firm rescinded job offers to a number of new hires after the new hires partied so hard they trashed a hotel (conduct unbecoming). At the other end of the spectrum, I used to work with a guy who drank a LOT (and was a sexist pig), and even though he eventually became a partner at my firm, he was forced out and has since rotated thru partnerships at at least 3 other professional services agencies in the last 10 years, each a little less prestigious than the last...don't let that be you!

But, most of all, find a little piece of fun for every city you go to. If I am somewhere longer than a week or two, I try to buy something non traditional that is either a house trinket, Christmas ornament or jewelry. Not necessarily big or flashy, but memorable. A friend of mine tried to attend a baseball game in every city she visited.

Best of luck on your new adventure.

Last edited by navi_jen; Sep 2, 2018 at 3:28 pm
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Great tips!
Use an app such as Trip it to manage your receipts. I take an image from the app of each paper receipt for each project. I can email the batch to myself when a trip is finished and have one PDF of all my paper receipts. I do get the air fare, hotel, and car sent to me by email separately.
I also use drop box to hold a document that has my unique passwords, account numbers, and user names for my travel sites. It works across all my devices so I do not have to recall a myriad of names and numbers nor use a single sign on for all.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:28 am

Great advices so far. My two cents:

Receipts: I take a photo of all of my receipts as soon as I get them. If your camera backs up to Google Photos (or iPhoto), they're ready for you to load into your expense report or handoff to the person lucky enough to enter them. It avoids carrying a stack that you can lose or fade over the month. Saves you having to scan them later.

Points balances: I keep all of my points balances and numbers in a Google spreadsheet that I have available offline on my phone. If you need to book somewhere last minute, it's ready to pull up and you still claim the points.

Dry cleaning: If you use a roller vs a garment bag, most dry cleaners will fold and wrap your shirts when done. It's usually free or minimal cost. They travel better than any time I've tried myself.

Small power strip or USB: Avoids arguments over scarce outlets in the airport. It's also a lifesaver when you end up in a crappy hotel with no spare outlets.

Headphones: Bite the bullet on some nice noise-cancelling ones if you are doing long-haul flights. They'll last a few years. For shorter trips, I've found cheap ones (Yurburds) that block out background noise enough for me to use in-flight. They double as my regular headset and avoid bringing the bulkier ones on short trips. Anything over 3 hours, the big earmuff style ones are coming.

Toiletries: I bring some of my own in reusable tubes. It avoids limiting myself to trial size brands. With the hotel ones, I usually grab them and donate them to a homeless shelter when I get home. It gives me some nominal feeling of being a good person that day.

Hotels: Think practically and find what works for you. I've found I prefer long-term style hotels (Home2, Residence Inn) or Airbnbs. If you're in one location for a while, introduce yourself to the manager one day. They'll hold stuff for you over the weekend and usually take care of their longer term guests.

Be strategic with points earning but not to the extent that you are foolish about it. Having to explain why you took 2 layovers when the rest of your team flew direct is an awkward conversation. Learn to not sweat the small stuff and roll with the delays, missed connections, noisy rooms, etc.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by navi_jen
-Always carry a tiny kit with a few Tylenol, Imodium and Benedryl. You don't want to leave the room when you need medicine to resolve your headache, stop up your aching bowels or when you can't sleep, respectively. And if you're sick, don't hesitate to ask the hotel to send up chicken noodle soup and saltines...most are incredibly understanding.
^^This^^
I always have in my backpack: Advil, Sudafed, Eye Drops, Tums. Also a pocket-size first-aid kit with band-aids and neosporin packets.

Oh, and carry breath mints. It's never a bad time for a breath mint.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA, DL, BA, HH
Make sure your room has an iron and learn how to use it. Also, having a picture of a spouse or significant other on my phone screen has made it feel like I am not as far away at times. Another thing that helps when I feel like I have been gone for to long is to have a digital subscription to your hometown newspaper. (If your from DC,then Wash Post or Times, depends on where your from) It sounds strange, but I feel like it helps me stay connected. Probably the last bit of advice I have is to pack as light as possible. You wont use half the crap you think you need or should have. After 8 to 10 hours or more on the road, even an extra ounce feels heavy.

One other thing, even if you cant make it to the gym regularly, try to at least stretch for 10 to 15 minutes a day in your room. Maintaining and improving flexibility has helped a lot, especially when you have to adjust to less than ideal conditions on a flight.

Last edited by OceanAir; Sep 5, 2018 at 2:38 pm Reason: adding something

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.