Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about your (our) carbon footprint.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche

I'm curious what members on here think about their environmental impact from flying?

I'm no green freak, but carbon emissions are certainly something to be mindful of. And the elephant in the room (or rather horse lampshade?) is our regular flying. Yes, these planes may fly without you anyway, but what do people here think?

I figure limiting travel can be difficult for many here, but things like offsetting might be more feasible? Has anyone here explored anything along those lines? Themselves or as part of work?
HIDDY likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I image this thread will be moved as it’s off topic, but I do make some donations every year to offset part of my carbon footprint caused by flying.

I should donate more, really.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
But the plane would fly full or empty.

That's why I don't think about it.

Some people would say pick a B787 over the B747 but if your traveling in Y don't do it to yourself.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:05 pm

These aircraft are going to fly with or without me, I imagine the carbon footprint of those choosing fly privately is much larger.

That said I do usually roundup to the nearest amount when booking a flight, which BA should make standard IMO.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by pacenotes
But the plane would fly full or empty.

That's why I don't think about it.
But isn’t that like saying “I’m not vegeterian because the animals would be killed anyway?” (I’m not vegeterian) or “I don’t care about buying products wrapped in unreciclable plastic because it’s been produced already anyway”.

I have no intention of lecturing anyone, but by flying you’re obviously using a service that has an impact of the environment. Not to mention that your weight would have a (marginal) impact on the amount of fuel used.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA
Half an hour into the topic and nobody crucified you for that "I'm no green freak"??
Jokes aside, unfortunately most of us can't do much about this subject. I used to travel even 7+ hrs with trains but to be honest I'd never go back to that now.
Most countries in EU haven't adopted high speed yet and there is just no real better alternative to flying....
Trying to bring this topic relevant for the BA forum, there would be so many routes where BA would get loads of business, but it would be in contrast with its "london only hub" policy.....
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Of course the planes wouldn’t fly without us in the long run. If demand drops routes get cut.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
In the long run, humans will need to develop ways to fly that are much cleaner. Whether that is fully-electric engines, biofuel, or even newer variants of the nuclear jets trialled in the 1950s.Maybe it will be ways to link flights to carbon capture & sequestration. It is misanthropic to imagine we should travel less - and also unrealistic to expect massive behavioural change, especially as China and India become wealthier.

What is the best way to get to that point? Well, one thing seems certain - if we abandon today's airlines and aircraft manufacturers, they will likely lose money & be unable to invest in R&D for new & better engines and planes. We should reward those with newer fleets, better load-factors and other efficiencies with our business - and vote for parties that encourage aviation modernisation rather than minimisation.

I'd prefer to donate to scientific charities or research bodies looking into new forms of propulsion or carbon-capture, rather than doing a simple offset into a larger pool of money.
florens and BearX220 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by DeanB

I'd prefer to donate to scientific charities or research bodies looking into new forms of propulsion or carbon-capture, rather than doing a simple offset into a larger pool of money.
Isn’t the point of offsetting to help making the planet a bit more green though?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ringingup

Isn’t the point of offsetting to help making the planet a bit more green though?
Yes, but generally that goes to subsidising ongoing programmes (eg funding solar cells, planting trees) which is worthy, but in an ideal world I'd prefer to contribute to actual scientific & engineering research for new technologies.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by DeanB
Yes, but generally that goes to subsidising ongoing programmes (eg funding solar cells, planting trees) which is worthy, but in an ideal world I'd prefer to contribute to actual scientific & engineering research for new technologies.
I see your point, but surely both things are incredibly important.

It would be silly - as an example and imho - to stop spending money to recycle things and invest all the money that is spent recycling in R&D instead.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
I justify my travel by donating annually to a Environmental Charity normally WWF or something similar.

I also never fly solely just ‘for points’ ill have a minimum of a 2 day stay and call it a holiday except if it’s European travel then 1 night is suffice

Just means my TP runs are in actual fact holidays and I’ll always go somewhere that I actually want to see
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I suspect all the hot air this forum produces on a daily basis is far more damaging to mankind than my carbon footprint.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: Southwest, United, American Airlines
Considering the biggest Climate Change activist is a guy who flies exclusively on private jets (Leonardo DiCaprio), I don't consider our carbon foot print to be a threat and I'll continue flying.

Once Leo starts taking the bus or walking to places, I would consider reducing my carbon foot print.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:49 pm

I walk to work...and work in the field of public transport.... (so ill claim carbon credits for both!) I drive less than 9000 klm a year... and will continue to fly.

Tell you what...I'll cut back my air travel once all the trendy types here in Canberra (with the "full set" of Climate change/green stickers on their cars) STOP DRIVING AROUND BY THEMSELVES EVERY DAY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.