Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel used my real name in a TripAdvisor review reply

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
This is clearly an attempt by the hotel to suppress a negative review. Please let us know what the response is from TA and the hotel. It is not appropriate for the manager to use your full name responding to a review. Out of curiosity, did the manager use his/her own name in the review?

If this is a chain hotel or a franchise operation have you considered going further up the ladder to express your concerns? The manager sounds like he/she needs a short, sharp lesson in on-line conduct.
84fiero likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Badenoch
This is clearly an attempt by the hotel to suppress a negative review. Please let us know what the response is from TA and the hotel. It is not appropriate for the manager to use your full name responding to a review. Out of curiosity, did the manager use his/her own name in the review?

If this is a chain hotel or a franchise operation have you considered going further up the ladder to express your concerns? The manager sounds like he/she needs a short, sharp lesson in on-line conduct.
And that’s why I would use the highlighted “Report response as inappropriate” at the bottom the manager’s comment and let TripAdvisor handle it.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:07 pm

I post a lot on TA. What the hotel,did is against the guidelines. Report it.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Report them as in breach of Data Protection rules.

If you used a username, and they used yoru real name- they must have worked out who you were using the hotels records. hence a breach of Data protection rules.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Originally Posted by dwbf11
Thanks all for the helpful responses and insights. To address a couple points:

No, I don't mind if the hotel has my name. The issues were raised with them at the time. In fact, I counted on them having my name, because I only filled out the TA review following receipt of a survey from the hotel (which I answered in full), and then was invited to fill out a TA review by the hotel in the same survey.

The review wasn't all negative, either. I lauded the hotel's location and value as compared with other hotels in the area. But I was sure to note the discrepancies I noticed between reality and other reviews on TA ("Great place!") and the hotel's own marketing materials (website etc.) If you looked at the hotel's website you'd have been expecting an upscale boutique experience, but I called out some of the reasons that would be a mistaken impression in a factual way - topics like very noisy HVAC, inop bathrooms, and security concerns. Interestingly, looking at the other 1 and 2 star reviews, many others who chose to leave negative reviews also remarked on the same topics.

The epilogue is that I sent a very strongly worded email to the "manager" who left the review, copying the "front desk" contact email, asking them to remove the reference to my name. I'll see how it comes back.

I would contact hotel management/head office. Not just the offender in this case.

And as a TA DE, report to TA as well as this is against policy. In fact PM me and give me a link to the review and I will also complain.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by dwbf11
Well, this is a first for me - mods, please feel free to move if TB isn't the right place for this. Wasn't quite sure where else to post.

Recently had a less-than-stellar experience at a hotel (in the US). I left a review on TripAdvisor (factual, no editorial "fluff"), but it was not positive. In replying to me as many hotels do these days, the "manager" responded to the review by using my real name, instead of "Dear Mr. Dwbf11" or something like that. I found this odd because it looks like most of the other reviews are "Dear Mr. Username" and not real names. Nothing I wrote in the review is something I won't stand behind publicly, but I'd rather my name not be put up in that way either. I hope that this was done inadvertently (US-based hotel, but the English is not the best in the reply, so perhaps English is not the first language for this manager) but I also wonder if this was done to passively-aggressively get me to take the review down.

Does anyone know if this sort of behavior runs afoul of the TA rules/policies? Other than sending a note to the "manager" via email or taking down the review, do I have any recourse through TA?
I always wait at least a week or 2 to write my reviews just to reduce this likelihood.

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Umm, well why would you ask your question here rather than asking it of TA?
Because that's the central purpose of a discussion board.

Personally, I never write reviews either good or bad.
Cool, so you contribute nothing to the common good of other business patrons. Your prerogative.

Thinking about your experience in this case, I do think it brings up a good point. If someone writes a bad review and names the hotel, why should a hotel not be able to name the person if they respond? That's 'tit for tat' isn't it? You are saying, you want to name them but do not want them to name you! Somehow, that does not strike me as fair.
The hotel is a public entity. Individual are not. True identities of the reviewer do not further the interest of the TA. The very fact that TripAdvisor allows creations of "usernames" supports this.

You say you did not write anything you would not be willing to stand behind 'publicly'. Well, stand behind it publicly. Standing behind it publicly of course means being willing to put your name to it just as many people do when writing a 'letter to the editor' of a newspaper for example.
The good old Nothing to Hide argument.

So, what's your name?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:29 am
Moderator: National Car
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Update: Got a fast reply from my note addressed to the "Manager" who posted the review. It was rather nonsensical, but I'll chalk it (again) to English maybe not being this person's first language. What I could glean from it was something about a computer program they use consolidating social media replies linked to their internal database caused my name to be used (this made no sense), and that he thought it was more sincere "apologizing" by addressing me as my real name and not as Dear Mr. Username. I'm still not sure this wasn't an attempt to try and get the review changed, because in the same manager's replies to others leaving less-than-positive reviews, the person always replied with a "Dear Mr. Username" even if the review was collected in collaboration with the hotel (i.e., they could link up the real name to the TA review). Either way, it appears that this chapter has come to a close as he states he modified the reply accordingly and it will be changed within 24 hours.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by deniah
I always wait at least a week or 2 to write my reviews just to reduce this likelihood.

Because that's the central purpose of a discussion board.

Cool, so you contribute nothing to the common good of other business patrons. Your prerogative.

The hotel is a public entity. Individual are not. True identities of the reviewer do not further the interest of the TA. The very fact that TripAdvisor allows creations of "usernames" supports this.

The good old Nothing to Hide argument.

So, what's your name?
Actually, the OP asked for an answer to a simple question, "Does anyone know if this sort of behavior runs afoul of the TA rules/policies? Other than sending a note to the "manager" via email or taking down the review, do I have any recourse through TA?" The OP did not ask for a discussion of anything. But perhaps the difference between the two escapes you. I asked for a discussion on the philosophical point of whether it is fair for reviewers to remain anonymous and not stand behind (with their name) the comments they post.

The OP's question needed only a one word response, 'yes'. I actually didn't even think it worthy of answering in my first response. If you have a problem with someone written on a forum, you contact the forum moderators, not the person who wrote the comment. I would have thought that they OP being a forum moderator on here, would know that at least as well as anyone would.

But if you are interested in discussions deniah, then I would suggest from some of your previous posts on various threads, that you give some thought to the concept of listening to opinions that differ from your own. If the only people you ever listen to are those who agree with you, you will learn nothing from doing so. It is only by listening to differing opinions that you can learn from a discussion.

[removed]

And your name is deniah? Or do you have something to hide?

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Aug 8, 2018 at 8:57 am Reason: removed personally identifying information
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:45 am
Suspended

This issue only required the OP to contact TA and advise them that a name had been posted, contrary to TA's rules. There was no need to post a question here (and I do not believe that someone who is himself a forum moderator wouldn't know that).

So why was the question posted? Surely not to get an answer to the question. i now read that the OP chose not to contact TA but instead to write a 'strongly worded' e-mail to the hotel. What does 'strongly worded' indicate? To me it indicates a possible threat to escalate. 'Take my name off, or else.' It also indicates to me, an intentional desire to pursue a 'fight' with the hotel rather than simply have TA remove the name. I could speculate that perhaps 'strongly worded' went something like, 'You will remove my name or I as an influential moderator on the Flyer Talk Forum, which is read by thousands of your potential customers, will post your hotel name and your manager's name on that forum, where this issue is being read about at this moment in time. DYKWIA'

If the OP really just wanted an answer to the question as posted, 'do I have recourse through TA", that answer was provided, 'yes'. Why then did the OP not contact TA for recourse? Ya gotta wonder don't you think?

Now as it happens, I do not think my speculation above is correct. I think dwbf11 probably just wanted to have it be the hotel that removed his name from their response, as a matter of principle and to 'teach them a lesson' of a kind, rather than just take the easier route of simply having TA remove it. But my point is that anyone can speculate about anything, including why the name was posted in the first place which dwbf11 is still speculating about or whether the hotel was 'doxing' as proudelitist speculated. Sometimes it can be interesting to put the shoe 'on the other foot' and speculate from the opposite side as well. But if we speculate, we need to remember it is only speculation, not fact. Nor does having 10 others agree with a speculation make it fact.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: *G
. I could speculate that perhaps 'strongly worded' went something like, 'You will remove my name or I as an influential moderator on the Flyer Talk Forum, which is read by thousands of your potential customers, will post your hotel name and your manager's name on that forum, where this issue is being read about at this moment in time.
Well, it is a good thing that the OP has a better sense of propriety than you do.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:59 pm
Moderator: National Car
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Hi dulciusexasperis,

Nice to "e-meet" you! I don't think we've crossed paths before on FlyerTalk or in real life, which was why I was surprised to see all of the vitriol you seem to have about me and this thread as indicated in your posts. Just to clarify a few things:
1) No threats were made to the hotel manager in question. No mention was made of my online profile on Flyertalk, No language was included threatening to reveal the name of the hotel or the name of the manager in a public way.
2 Just because I am a moderator of one small corner of an enormous online travel community, do you think that means I automatically know the rules and terms/conditions of every travel-related topic that's out there? I did not think my question was out of line, though I'm sorry you seem to have taken it that way. My question was answered by Post #9 ; I did not know where even to look in the TA rules about this topic, yet another helpful FTer pointed me exactly where to go.
3) We don't know why the "manager" did what he or she did. Could have been an innocent mistake, could have been a deliberate effort to "out" a guest who left a negative review. We'll never know. Which is why I wanted to know what the proper mode of recourse was.

While I may not be a moderator of this forum, I would ask on behalf of my counterparts (including the moderator of TravelBuzz, @JY1024) that you please try to play nicely in our sandbox. This is a collaborative community where members (yes, even moderators) should be able to seek advice and share experiences in a constructive way. If my goal was some sort of retribution or revenge against the hotel or against the "manager" (I have no idea where you got that from based on my posts), I would have posted all of that identifying information in the first post. I don't know what it was about my post that really seems to have a triggered something with you, but next time, I'd suggest just moving along and not responding if you don't have anything constructive to add.

Feel free to send me, or any of the other moderators, a private message if you feel this is a discussion that needs to continue, but I trust we can all move on at this point.
Boggie Dog and 84fiero like this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:38 pm
Suspended

I'm in agreement both with the fake reviews it makes easier and the avoidance of being held liable for slander that sites like TA hide behind. It should be noted that in fact, if you can trace an individual who wrote something online about your business or yourself personally, you can in fact sue them for libel. One good reason for people to want to remain anonymous. They can slander with impunity. I see posters doing it on forums of all kinds including TA and this site, every day.

I don't write reviews as such Proudelitist. I do sometimes recommend a hotel in a specific location. I don't think I have ever criticized an airline. I have criticized air travel as a whole. I have seen individual here post totally insulting remarks directed at me personally and I have seen FT leave them up. Whether they are directed at my real name or my handle makes no difference. I would be fine with posting under my real name if all others had to do the same. I think i would probably win more defamation lawsuits I brought as a result, than lose those brought by someone else against me.

I agree they may have been 'doxing' but will you agree that if they disagreed strongly enough with the negative review, it might be perfectly understandle why they would do so. What other recourse do they have when someone writes a negative review they feel is unfair? Once again, it is 'I can hurt you in real ways through my review but you aren't allow to respond with anything that might hurt me in return.' I'm sure the TA rules preclude the hotel from venting with something like, 'you're an a###ole.' Where's the fairness in that?

I'm not suggesting at all that this was the case with the OP who may or may not have a perfectly legitimate reason for writing a negative review. But the fact is, TA is not a level playing field. Anyone can open an account and post any kind of negative comments they wish to make. Open enough fake accounts and post enough negative reviews and you can shut a business down because the reality is, a lot of travellers actually believe what they read on TA. Some may take reviews with a grain of salt but others do not and if enough of those others avoid your business as a result, you end up out of business.

How would you suggest leveling the playing field in reveiw sites Proudelitist and do you really think one like TA actually cares whether it is level or not? They are just covering their own butts from liability as lhrsfo points out and are notorious for knowing that fake and untrue reviews are posted on their site every day. Again, I'm not suggesting the OP did that. The hotel knows he is not a fake but they may well perceive his negative comments as totally unreasonable and have 'doxed' him in retaliation. If you punch me in the face, I'm more likely to punch you back than just ignore it. I'm not that strong a Christian to turn the other cheek, are you?
You can only successfully sue for libel if the claims made are un-true. If they are true, the defendant uses the "Truth Defense"...in the USA. In the UK no such defense exists..however, you cannot sue someone for libel for a negative review that reflects an actual experience.

As to what recourse they have if a review that they feel is unfair, they have two options...fix the issue, or address the review WITHOUT using the posters real name. It's not as if they have no choice or other option. There is no justification for using the real name.

No, TA is not a level playing field. It favors the customer, and rightly should. This isn't supposed to be fair and balanced, this is supposed to be a review of experiences. Some users have absurd complaints, some have legit complaints and some have malicious complaints. This is a reality for every business, from a multi national to a hot dog stand. A critical user will make a decision on the balance of reviews and the average rating result
84fiero likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
And your name is deniah? Or do you have something to hide?
Come on, this is FlyerTalk. Your first guess should be DEN IAH, as in Denver & Houston (Bush) airports.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:42 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Locking this up
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.