Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How well do chain stores in airports do?

How well do chain stores in airports do?

Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I shop at Brooks Brothers, but I do so at the local branch when I’m on a mission to buy clothes, not when I’m racing to catch a flight...

Wouldn’t their costs be high due to the logistics of delivering merchandise inside airports?

If I get off a flight with coffee or ink or wine down the front of my shirt, and I have to go direct to a client meeting, I am the very model of a price-insensitive BB customer.
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I wonder about the luggage stores in airports. Don't most people airside in an airport already have luggage?
Luggage breaks. That's why those stores are there.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Luxury brands obviously do very well - it's their demographic in large numbers. But likewise gift stores - so many people using up the last bits of currency, or desperate travellers needing to get something nice for their spouse or child, and with time to kill. But luggage mystifies me also - were I to buy a large suitcase at the airport, what would I do with it? I can't take it aboard the plane, and in most airports it's either very difficult or impossible to go back landside to check it in.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Luxury brands obviously do very well - it's their demographic in large numbers. But likewise gift stores - so many people using up the last bits of currency, or desperate travellers needing to get something nice for their spouse or child, and with time to kill. But luggage mystifies me also - were I to buy a large suitcase at the airport, what would I do with it? I can't take it aboard the plane, and in most airports it's either very difficult or impossible to go back landside to check it in.

San Diego has/had a store right at the AA checkin that sold drinks, snacks, mags....and, brilliantly, duffel bags and such. I was in a situation, even with status, that they wanted to charge me $75-ish for an overweight bag. I went over to this shop and bought a bag for $19 and was good. Saved myself some money and I'm sure this store cleans up at this location.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: *G
They ship it to you. Or if you already made it airside - gatecheck.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:00 pm

I have seen Mont Blanc stores at (I think) IAD and LAS. I don't know about everyone else, but I HATE it when I get all the way to the airport before I realize that I need a $500 pen!
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I have seen Mont Blanc stores at (I think) IAD and LAS. I don't know about everyone else, but I HATE it when I get all the way to the airport before I realize that I need a $500 pen!
You might not believe how many busy people arrive at the airport in desperate same-day need of a high-impact birthday / anniversary gift, wedding present, etc., with about 15 minutes to acquire it.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
They probably do quite well. Comparatively well-heeled crowd often with long periods of time on their hands. Even if the sales aren't great it's a good way to build name recognition among a desirable customer base.

In addition to buy toiletries, books, etc. I can recall buying a flashlight, a Tumi wallet and a computer bag. The computer bag was used to replace the one I had that was falling apart. I've also used the airside stores to look at items and then later buy them when I got home. I've also been tempted many times by the watch dealers at airports particularly during a 10 hour layover in Munich.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch
They probably do quite well. Comparatively well-heeled crowd often with long periods of time on their hands. Even if the sales aren't great it's a good way to build name recognition among a desirable customer base.
But the sales are great. If you spend any time in the Smythson outlet LHR T3 - I chose that as I was there the other day - there is a constant flow of customers buying items, and some quite expensive. Compare that with spending a similar time in their Sloane Square branch (which I also did recently) - the Sloane Square branch is at least ten times the size, maybe more, but had fewer customers and fewer sales.

Just one example, I know, but pertinent.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:08 pm

I've always wondered why the rows of well known German tour operators landside at German airports (similar to car rental counters)
- understandable if they were ground agents to service their clients en-route to their holidays. They are clearly not there for in-bound tourists.
However, these seem to be more like retail outlets for their foreign package tours.
Do Germans tend to book their future holidays at airports rather than the high street? I doubt it but I'm curious.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Carnforth
Do Germans tend to book their future holidays at airports rather than the high street? I doubt it but I'm curious.
While I don't know for certain, I might speculate that these booths are more popular in countries that are more cash-based, rather than credit card based. Germany still likes its cash. I've noticed these booths at Russian airports too, and the same holds true somewhat for Russia.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:02 pm

Sometimes, for travellers arriving from undeveloped/developing/third-world countries, these stores represent the first taste of luxury. It can be hard to resist, especially for those that treat a vacation abroad mainly as a shopping tour.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:09 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
They are clearly not there for in-bound tourists.
Oh no, they absolutely are there for in-bound tourists. They tend to serve foreigners which just booked a return flight from their home country to Germany/Europe but opt to book a rental car/bus tour/hotel/etc. on-the-spt.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I wonder about the luggage stores in airports. Don't most people airside in an airport already have luggage?
I would guess that people bring in old luggage, and decide when they get to the airport that it isn't sufficient, or broken.

Also, there are probably sales to people who've bought a lot of stuff on holiday and need a bigger suitcase.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by 1flyer
Oh no, they absolutely are there for in-bound tourists. They tend to serve foreigners which just booked a return flight from their home country to Germany/Europe but opt to book a rental car/bus tour/hotel/etc. on-the-spt.
Either we are talking about two different entities or you are guessing - I suspect the latter.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:46 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Either we are talking about two different entities or you are guessing - I suspect the latter.
Well, by "landside", I thought you meant the few travel agencies that you find in German airports in the arrivals hall.

However, I admit agencies on or near the departures level/halls would also be landside. The latter certainly also cater to travellers from the home country. But that's kind of a trivial point to make. You find that all over the world that you can purchase airline tickets as well as holiday packages at an airport's check-in/departures level. It may be that tour operators have a somewhat larger market share in Germany than in some other places, but again, it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.