Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How well do chain stores in airports do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

I read recently that Brooks Brothers airport stores were apparently helpful in revitalizing the brand among businesspeople in the 1990s, and Brookstone is closing its mall stores but keeping its airport stores.

I find that odd because I never see people in either store at the airport. I shop at Brooks Brothers, but I do so at the local branch when I’m on a mission to buy clothes, not when I’m racing to catch a flight.

So: how well (in sales per square foot) do chain retailers do in airports? Wouldn’t their costs be high due to the logistics of delivering merchandise inside airports?

Thanks.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I read recently that Brooks Brothers airport stores were apparently helpful in revitalizing the brand among businesspeople in the 1990s, and Brookstone is closing its mall stores but keeping its airport stores.

I find that odd because I never see people in either store at the airport. I shop at Brooks Brothers, but I do so at the local branch when I’m on a mission to buy clothes, not when I’m racing to catch a flight.

So: how well (in sales per square foot) do chain retailers do in airports? Wouldn’t their costs be high due to the logistics of delivering merchandise inside airports?

Thanks.

The PGA Tour store is the one that gets me. I guess people love buying golf shirts.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
So: how well (in sales per square foot) do chain retailers do in airports?
Like regular B&Ms, how well an airport store can do depends on the traffic. However, given the exclusivity, airport stores usually do okay.

Also - the corporation holding the brand does not usually expose to business risks, as many airport stores are in fact franchises.

Wouldn’t their costs be high due to the logistics of delivering merchandise inside airports?

The costs are usually shared by customers (which explains the higher price tag).
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I had to patronize two airside BB for white shirt and a tie.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Airport stores are often the most profitable stores in a chain, despite incredible rent and paying the royalty to the airport. Look at WH Smith as an example - its recent results showed that its airport division was far more profitable than any other.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
I shop at the Brooks Brothers in PHL fairly regularly. The sale prices are the same as they are near my home and there isn't sales tax charged on clothing in Pennsylvania. I can't recall buying anything at any other chain store though.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I wonder about the luggage stores in airports. Don't most people airside in an airport already have luggage?
trooper and Zeeb like this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:51 pm

One thing about the shops at PIT; they aren’t allowed to charge more for their goods than their stores outside of the airport. No price gouging allowed. Large variety of shops to pass the time away. Plus, no sales tax on clothing or shoes.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
One thing about the shops at PIT; they aren’t allowed to charge more for their goods than their stores outside of the airport. No price gouging allowed. Large variety of shops to pass the time away. Plus, no sales tax on clothing or shoes.
Likewise at PDX. Same prices at stores and restaurants as outside the airport. Also Oregon doesn't have a sales tax.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I wonder about the luggage stores in airports. Don't most people airside in an airport already have luggage?
Suitcases break and they need a new one? Or they bought too many souvenirs and need something to stash them in for the return flight?

I do wonder how much of that emergency-replacement market will be taken over by vending machines like the ones Uniqlo has installed in some airports. Lower rent, no retail staff, grab-and-go.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:27 pm

That has always mystified me too!
travelmad478 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Without knowing the data, I would hypothesize they do quite well. Most people don't like to make complicated decisions all the time. For most travellers, an airport is not a place they see every weekday. So, many unknowns, many decisions to make. People will like to simplify. And I imagine this doesn't just affect McD, BK, illy coffee, and Starbucks but more upscale and luxury brands as well. Rimowa, Caviar House & Prune, Hermes, etc.

Costs of retailing at the airport are very high, sure. But you got lots of high-net worth individuals there. Some of them need a quick present or distraction. And many will looks for brands they recognize and value. Brooks Brothers is a retailer for which (IMO) this logic applies to.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
When at the airport I make different decisions about the shopping I do. I seem to open the purse strings a bit more there and have less concern about what I am spending because I'm on holidays. Maybe others just buy stuff they don't really want but think it is a bargain.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: *G
For a branded shop I think it's about exposure. Most people don't think about their luggage until they have to use it. So it's only during the travel process that they're reminded about the displeasure with their wheels, handles, capacity, whatever....
tentseller likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
The PGA Tour store is the one that gets me. I guess people love buying golf shirts.
There's a PGA Tour restaurant in SAN, actually. Food in an airport is different than a regular store though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.