Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Will you choose a seat next to someone when the whole cabin is almost empty?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will you choose a seat next to someone when the whole cabin is almost empty?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NH/AV CX/AA DL
Cool Will you choose a seat next to someone when the whole cabin is almost empty?

Here's something interesting happening. I booked a flight, NH937 (NRT-WUH), very early when the whole business cabin was empty. Since the first row was blocked by NH, I chose seat 3A. I know business cabin is never full on this flight except for some special events. But today I was surprised to see someone choose the seat next to me (3B) when there are so many choices left. Even if you want an aisle seat, there are so many left and even the middle "double aisle seat". Just curious, will you ever do this for some reasons?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL
when booking a business trip through a Travel Agency, customers sometimes specify to "put me in an aisle seat as close as possible" to the front, or something similar. So in this case, the TA would choose 3B or 3F, regardless of other seats in that row. The customer him/herself might have never seen the seat map, and might change their seat if they do so before the flight?
SANspotter likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
It may have been auto-selected by the reservation system when the booking was made, as opposed to a human intentionally selecting the seat.

Or the seat could be blocked out for some reason.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Maybe there's a Chatty Cathy that wants to tell someone about their grandchildren for the entirety of the flight.
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
A little while ago, I took the Eurostar from London to Paris. When I boarded at St. Pancras there was only one person in my car. Yes, my seat was next to him. The car did fill up, but we both got a pretty good laugh out of the initial situation.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:13 pm

I've seen similar when the airline pro-actively blocked seats next to FF status holders.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NH/AV CX/AA DL
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Maybe there's a Chatty Cathy that wants to tell someone about their grandchildren for the entirety of the flight.
I thought about it but then I found this would not be very possible since passengers on this flight are mainly Japanese and Chinese who are not very likely to be chatty guys.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
When AA issues upgrades I typically get put in the seat closest to the front. Usually it's a bulkhead and I have to reassign myself online. The computer feels it's better to fill up singles so that it's easier to leave empties together for sales.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
The computer feels it's better to fill up singles so that it's easier to leave empties together for sales.
This must be it.
I recently flew on NH (3-3-3 seat configuration) where the seatmap had majority of seats still unoccupied on seatmap with less than a month left. So I assigned myself a window and my wife aisle with middle seat left empty in between. Then, unbelievably, about 5 days before the trip I saw that someone took the middle seat between us. At that point, >1/3 of seats were still unoccupied with so many aisle seats still untaken. Then a couple days later, that person had finally moved. I can only think it was the computer that just assigned him in order to fill up single seats.

Btw, one time I was riding the L train in Chicago in a a near-empty car when this crazy semi-homeless guy gets on and then decides to sit right next to me. What a creep.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Think about dining in a fast food style restaurant where you can seat yourself. How many times have you picked a nice, quiet seat, only to have a party of six take the booth closest to yours? I always ascribed that to the fact that most people do not want to be seen sitting on their own.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Flying SWA one time, they announced the cabin was about 1/3 full. I took a window seat in the 5th or 6th row. Two people-traveling together-sat down in the middle and aisle next to me. I reminded them of the space. They declined to move, so I did.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Hell no. I would be sitting far away.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The assumption that the cabin will remain empty often proves a false one. I take the seat I want based on what's available at time of selection. And, yes, sometimes that means a seat next to someone else when there are pairs open elsewhere in the cabin.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: *G
if we die we die together.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Have you seen the Hitchcock movie, Strangers on a Train? Uh hum.
altabello likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.