Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Refusing to handle other people's luggage in the overhead bin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refusing to handle other people's luggage in the overhead bin?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Well, you could remain seated until the aisle is clear to deplane.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by RAAng
With baggage restrictions being so onerous, people are forced to pack heavy.
I have to disagree with this. Pay for the hold luggage if you can't lift your hand luggage, and stick the essentials underneath the seat in front of you. It sucks for those who are in this situation, but it does solve this problem. Yes hand luggage only fares are more attractive, but they are not the only fares one is allowed to purchase.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Unless I am wearing a big red hat that says "Porter", I should not be asked to help someone who decided to travel with a bag too heavy to lift, particularly in avoidance of fees.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:34 pm

As an older traveller, I remember the days when suitcases didn't have wheels and when trolleys weren't a thing at airports. Travelling in the 50s/60s, you carried your stuff. Even though my checked suitcases have wheels, and I'm much older, I always make sure I can lift every bag. (Particularly necessary in Hong Kong when the taxi drivers can be a decade or two older than me.) Of course it helps that the carry-on allowance in these parts is usually 7-8 kgs!
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been hurt twice when "helping" people in the fast, with their rock collections. Unless the person is very old, or has some sort of physical issue (broken arm or whatever) When asked I just simply and plainly say, "no I cannot". On occasion I have been called names, and I then explained why I do not help normal and healthy seeming people with their bags. One time some idiot cursed me out when I refused an attractive woman's request to get her bag down, then as he got the woman's bag down, and it must have weighed 70 lbs. He sprained his wrist, and it dropped to the ground with a large bang, I said, "told you so" now who is the xxxxx??
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:00 am

70lbs? What kind of "carry-on" is that?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:35 am

I'm not very tall but I can get my own bag out of the overhead on flights but I cannot on the IC/ICE trains as they are higher up. With luggage space being an issue on those trains during peak season I've had tall men put my big (to be checked) bag up there unasked and occasionally without even asking me if I'm okay with it and then go off the train earlier than me. I've had to ask men to help me get my bag back down or risk braining everyone within three rows with it if I climb on a seat and try on my own.
I'm blunt so i usually ask for help or if they won't help could they please duck until I dragged it out.

I know my three to six weeks holiday checked luggage is too unwieldy for me to move it from the train overhead so if no one interferes it stays on the ground
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
If someone can’t manage their carry-on, no way I want them responsible for getting the door open.
The FAA has a list of requirements for being seated in an exit row such as minimum age, physical ability and mental capacity. The FA's are following the FAA rules by not assisting passengers in exit rows stowing their luggage in the overhead bin.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Originally Posted by thebigben
I have to disagree with this. Pay for the hold luggage if you can't lift your hand luggage, and stick the essentials underneath the seat in front of you. It sucks for those who are in this situation, but it does solve this problem. Yes hand luggage only fares are more attractive, but they are not the only fares one is allowed to purchase.
I speculate that if airlines would lower extra baggage fees a bit, more people would go that route. I recently traveled from the US to London for a two week vacation. An extra bag would have been $200 roundtrip. No thanks, I'll do laundry, buy toiletries when I get there and limit the souvenirs. Had it been $50 each way for an additional $100 I would have jumped on it. I'll also pay extra to fly Southwest because I can pack more comfortably. That said, when traveling with camera equipment, the weight of stuff that MUST go in the cabin just increased considerably. Probably same goes for people with medical equipment.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by hfly
When asked I just simply and plainly say, "no I cannot". On occasion I have been called names, and I then explained why I do not help normal and healthy seeming people with their bags.
Years ago, someone asked me to help with her bag. I declined and someone else immediately offered to help. I thought nothing of it, but it must have bothered my seatmate. He must have spent the five hour flight angry at me because once we landed, he launched into a tirade that he probably rehearsed throughout the flight. I let him speak while everyone nearby watched. Once he finished, I gently lifted my shirt to show him the bandages from the surgery I had about 2 weeks prior.

"I can't really lift my arms above my shoulders right now," I said. "That's why I put my only carry-on bag under the seat."

I actually felt badly for him because he probably spent the entire flight being angry at me. Not all physical restrictions are apparent solely based on appearance.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta Sky Miles
One thing I've noticed is passengers are less likely to ask other passengers who are talking on their cell phone to assist with stowing or taking down someone else's baggage. I picked up on this a few years ago. When I'm on a flight I usually make calls as soon as I stow my small hand luggage and sit down, and once the plane lands I make calls on my cellphone and get up when the seat belts are off, and continue talking on my phone until I'm inside the terminal, heading straight for baggage claim. It works!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: WN A+, CP, HH Diamond, National EE
No judgement on anybody else, but I am always happy to help. And available too, since I am usually just standing there waiting for others to deplane.
farci and muji like this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Taco Tuesday
No judgement on anybody else, but I am always happy to help. And available too, since I am usually just standing there waiting for others to deplane.
Should post your flight details with seat no. similar to lounge meetup threads so people know to ask you
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by ESPECIALROB
One thing I've noticed is passengers are less likely to ask other passengers who are talking on their cell phone to assist with stowing or taking down someone else's baggage. I picked up on this a few years ago. When I'm on a flight I usually make calls as soon as I stow my small hand luggage and sit down, and once the plane lands I make calls on my cellphone and get up when the seat belts are off, and continue talking on my phone until I'm inside the terminal, heading straight for baggage claim. It works!
The people on the other side of the phone don't mind ?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
you'll only know about it if they rant about it here on FT ... just sayin' ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.