Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Refusing to handle other people's luggage in the overhead bin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refusing to handle other people's luggage in the overhead bin?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Lizie
I think it must be harder for women to lift weight above their heads. It's not a good look on a women either :-)
Speak for yourself. I'm female, 5'2", and 115 lbs and can lift my often densely packed and quite heavy rollaboard into the overhead bin without assistance or "looking bad" (whatever that implies?? ). If I couldn't lift it, I wouldn't bring it. On many occasions, men offer (unsolicited) to get my bag down for me, which I am happy to let them do, but I ALWAYS warn them that it's heavy.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:56 am
Suspended

Most airlines have a line in their T&Cs that reads something like this one from Air Canada: "
  • Your carry-on baggage must be light enough that you can store it in the overhead bin unassisted."

People of any gender who expect others to handle this job for them are not worthy of any help or sympathy whatsoever in my opinion. You brought it on board, you deal with it. If someone wants to give a more polite response than just a simple 'no', I can understand that. I suggest this: 'Sorry, not in my job description', delivered with a smile. That will leave the person confused as to what you meant but clear on the fact that you aren't going to do it.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:39 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Our trip next week in D1 ought to be interesting. My wife won't let me use my right arm since my latest heart operation, so she intends to handle the larger bags in the overhead. She has been known to grunt a bit hoping that some nice strong man or FA will help, while I just hang my head in shame and push with my left hand.
Annalisa12 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do it or don't do it as you choose. No need to tell silly lies, just say something which amounts to a polite "no".

Only time this matters is when it turns out to be the person conducting the final interview for a superb job paying triple what you are making now !
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta, United, Air Canada, American, Jet Blue
As a woman, I’ve watched far too many women struggle to put their luggage into the overhead. In my 30’s, 40’s and fifties, I was able to get my own luggage in the overhead without too much trouble. Now in my 60’s, I believe if you can’t lift it up there yourself, you shouldn’t be bringing it on. It’s nice that folks offer to help, but you shouldn’t count on it. You can’t lift it, then check it.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by etch5895
Then why say Sorry? You have nothing to apologize for.
That's why I prefer a bright smile and a "No, thank you!" response.

Passenger: "Can you grab my bag from three rows behind you?"
Me (bright smile): "No, thank you!"

It befuddles people so profoundly they end up asking someone else. Works for seat changes too:

Passenger: "Would you mind taking my middle seat in E- so I can sit with my spouse?"
Me (bright smile): "Oh, no thank you!"
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I will always help people who struggle to get their bags in and out of the overhead. Most people do in my experience. The sooner they get help, the sooner they get seated and the sooner the plane takes off so. Everybody benefits. Same with disembarking, helping others gets everyone off faster.

The only acceptable reason to decline is because you physically can't lift someone else's bag. Otherwise make the effort because it helps everyone get to their destination smoothly.
farci and ajGoes like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: WN A+, CP, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by Badenoch
The only acceptable reason to decline is because you physically can't lift someone else's bag. Otherwise make the effort because it helps everyone get to their destination smoothly.
I agree. Why is it any sort of issue to help your fellow passengers? Maybe they could have done a little better. Still, helping others is a virtue.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Clearly that person who asked for help knew they had over packed beyond the weight they could manage. Every time I see someone struggling to put their bag in the overhead I think they should have known better.

If you had to put your bag in the overhead a few rows behind yours then wait till you have an opening to go there.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by trudzie
As a woman, I’ve watched far too many women struggle to put their luggage into the overhead. In my 30’s, 40’s and fifties, I was able to get my own luggage in the overhead without too much trouble. Now in my 60’s, I believe if you can’t lift it up there yourself, you shouldn’t be bringing it on. It’s nice that folks offer to help, but you shouldn’t count on it. You can’t lift it, then check it.
+1 exactly!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Speak for yourself. I'm female, 5'2", and 115 lbs and can lift my often densely packed and quite heavy rollaboard into the overhead bin without assistance or "looking bad" (whatever that implies?? ). If I couldn't lift it, I wouldn't bring it. On many occasions, men offer (unsolicited) to get my bag down for me, which I am happy to let them do, but I ALWAYS warn them that it's heavy.
I'm a bit shorter at 5'. I also warn the seated person below my bag in the aisle when putting it away or taking it down. I have asked the aisle person to step out for a second or wait until it is vacant so I can wrangle it. There are some bins which are a bit higher and I need to step onto the bar below the seat if it is available (usually Asian carrier) or even step onto the seat to make sure it clears everyone else's heads. I probably have one of the lighter wheeled carry-ons onboard because I want to be able to manage my own bags. But sometimes a specific seat & bin configuration makes it safer if a taller person helps or I step onto a seat.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by cajunguy
Clearly that person who asked for help knew they had over packed beyond the weight they could manage. Every time I see someone struggling to put their bag in the overhead I think they should have known better.
Yes, they should have known better but they didn't and the bag is not going to get magically lighter on the spot. It will go up there eventually by you or someone else and the plane isn't going anywhere until it does.

I will continue to help. I will also continue to regard physically capable people who would refuse to help out of some twisted sense of self-righteousness to be complete (expletive deleted.)
BearX220, farci and SQ421 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Most airlines have a line in their T&Cs that reads something like this one from Air Canada: "
  • Your carry-on baggage must be light enough that you can store it in the overhead bin unassisted."

For US airlines the unassisted rule is for the exit row only. I have seen FA's start and then stop assisting with a statement they cannot assist a passenger who is sitting in an exit row due to FAA regulations.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:30 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by freecia
I'm a bit shorter at 5'. I also warn the seated person below my bag in the aisle when putting it away or taking it down. I have asked the aisle person to step out for a second or wait until it is vacant so I can wrangle it. There are some bins which are a bit higher and I need to step onto the bar below the seat if it is available (usually Asian carrier) or even step onto the seat to make sure it clears everyone else's heads.
Some newer airline seats (not limited to Asian carriers) have steps built into the side of the aisle seat, presumably specifically to help shorter people reach the overhead bins. In the example below, the aisle seat with the step is on the right side of the image (but would be on the left side from the point of view of someone sitting in it).

Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by tjl
Some newer airline seats (not limited to Asian carriers) have steps built into the side of the aisle seat, presumably specifically to help shorter people reach the overhead bins. In the example below, the aisle seat with the step is on the right side of the image (but would be on the left side from the point of view of someone sitting in it).

Wow, this would be very handy for me too on larger aircraft—on 767s etc., I often have to stand on (my own) seat to rummage around in my bag during the flight or to grab hold of it if it’s slid to the deep end of the bin out of my reach. I always sit on the aisle and (as I tend to board early) put my bag above my own seat, so fortunately, I’m not stepping on anyone else’s seat to do this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.