FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What Are Your Tips and Tricks for "Don't Drink The Water" Countries? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1920329-what-your-tips-tricks-dont-drink-water-countries.html)

Proudelitist Jul 17, 2018 3:49 am

What Are Your Tips and Tricks for "Don't Drink The Water" Countries?

Aside from sticking to the bottled stuff, do you have any particular approaches to eating and drinking in countries where sanitation and water quality are dubious? Personally, I bring along Ciproflaxacin and take it pre-emptively, and I go vegetarian even though I am a meat eater at home.

ajeleonard Jul 17, 2018 4:38 am

I don't drink tap water anywhere as I understand you can get an upset stomach even if it's perfectly clean due to different mineral compositions

I then have two categories of 'don't drink the water' countries where I amend my behavior

a) e.g Thailand Brazil, will brush teeth with tap water, will eat salad (likely washed with tap water), will take ice cubes likely made of tap water
b) e.g. India, Kenya, brush teeth with bottled water, no salad or ice cubes

Palal Jul 17, 2018 5:14 am

I have gotten sick from bottled water was either poorly filtered or has been sitting out in the sun for too long. A few times this was the free water you get at a hotel that's part of a well-known international chain, so in countries where tap water is not an option, I drink bottled only from (local) brands that I know.

If tap water is a clean option and tastes well, I'll drink it.

84fiero Jul 17, 2018 6:20 am

I'm not sure taking antibiotic proactively is the best idea as you can contribute to antibiotic-resistant bacteria and also become sensitive to it (as I did with an antibiotic related to Cipro after taking it for a long-running recurring infection). Avoiding meat won't preclude food-borne illness as fruits and veggies are just as often the culprits, whether due to contaminated wash water for uncooked items or cross-contamination post-cooking, for cooked stuff.

I mainly rely on bottled water but also have one of those portable water-boilers to use if I run out of bottled. Though nowadays luckily it's easy to find good bottled water even in more remote places. If the tap water is drinkable though I just use that unless it tastes bad.

rubesl Jul 17, 2018 6:36 am

Do not drink water or brush teeth in Peru - bottled water only. I also carry a Life Straw.

dulciusexasperis Jul 17, 2018 8:42 am

My first tip is to determine for yourself whether the water is safe to drink or not, not rely on others to tell you whether it is or not.

When living on a Greek island, I was aware that Tour company reps routinely advised the tourists not to drink the water. Given that all the water on the island was perfectly safe to drink, I wondered why, a rep that had been on the island for all of 1 or 2 weeks at the beginning of a season, suddenly became an expert on the local water. Obviously they weren't, they were just following 'the script' which included advising tourists to stick to bottled water.

Turns out, this is part of tour companies 'cover your butt' strategy. If they advise you to drink bottled water and you drink tap water, you can't complain to them about something afterwards. Tourists regularly drink too much alcohol, then blame any ensuing illness on 'bad water', apparently. Can't do that if you claim to have only drank bottled water as directed.

While I do agree there are places where the water is not safe to drink out of the tap (several places in the USA come to mind), not everywhere someone tells you to drink bottled water is actually a problem, so my first question is, 'who is saying to drink bottled water'.

I do agree that some people are more susceptible to any change in the water they drink (or the food they eat) than other people. That you can only determine by trial and error. One person may have no difficulty eating and drinking in X while another person gets sick on day 1. You can't put everything down to, 'you should only drink bottled water.'

catcher1 Jul 17, 2018 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by rubesl (Post 29982631)
Do not drink water or brush teeth in Peru - bottled water only. I also carry a Life Straw.

You really should brush your teeth, dude. :)

akl_traveller Jul 18, 2018 2:32 am

Activated charcoal. Gastrosoothe. And prophylaxis by not. drinking. the. water.

Taking antibiotics prophylactically is, to be honest, a little immoral. Humanity overprescribes antibiotics leading to the growth of some terrible little bacteria.

DragonSoul Jul 18, 2018 3:09 am

Peel fruit.

anaggie Jul 18, 2018 8:21 am

99.5% bottled water

I brush my teeth with tap water no matter where I am unless there is no running water — then use bottled water. The little quantity that you ingest while brushing isn’t going to make you sick. What makes you sick is salads
and peeled and cut fruits. I eat my fruits at the hotel breakfast and only buy fruits in whole so I can eat them later in the room. Don’t like salads so I prefer to have cooked veggies. Never had issues with meat.

Cant seem to understand why someone would take an antibiotic before traveling. Why would you want to kill the beneficial gut bacteria before you get somewhere where you need the bacteria for proper digestion?

If my travel is going to take me to remote areas, I carry a life straw.

wrp96 Jul 18, 2018 8:31 am

I avoid raw vegetables and fruits without peels. Meats usually aren't the issue.

365RoadWarrior Jul 18, 2018 8:50 am

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 29987015)
I avoid raw vegetables and fruits without peels. Meats usually aren't the issue.

I don't eat meat, but I would agree. Meats have the advantage of being almost always cooked.

Badenoch Jul 18, 2018 8:57 am

I'm one of the lucky ones who seems resistant to the stomach bugs and have drank water in many places the CDC says I shouldn't have. The one time I had a case of the traveller trots was in rural Armenia that may have been more attributable to heavy alcohol imbibing the previous evening than the water. It passed (pun intended) in about an hour. I've wouldn't take antibiotics in advance because they can kill the bacteria in the gut which leads to diarrhea which is what you are trying to prevent in the first place.

365RoadWarrior Jul 18, 2018 9:36 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 29982587)
I'm not sure taking antibiotic proactively is the best idea as you can contribute to antibiotic-resistant bacteria and also become sensitive to it (as I did with an antibiotic related to Cipro after taking it for a long-running recurring infection). .

Yes. For the love of humanity, please don't diminish the effectiveness of antiboitics we have. If not for humanity, don't make my work harder.

rubesl Jul 18, 2018 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by catcher1 (Post 29985257)
You really should brush your teeth, dude. :)

In Peru, only brush your teeth with bottled water!