Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What Are Your Tips and Tricks for "Don't Drink The Water" Countries?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Are Your Tips and Tricks for "Don't Drink The Water" Countries?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
1) Purchase bottled water at my origin. 5 litres does me for 4 days

2) Use hotel bottled water as replacement for the 5L bottles once they are consumed. Will put chlorination tablets in the bottled water because of uncertainty about the source .

3) Bring bottled water from the plane to destination. Drink that throughout the day, refilling daily from the 5L stash.

4) Brush teeth with bottled water

5) Don't ingest water from shower/tap. Dry face immediately if it gets wet in shower.

6) At the hotel/office, drink coffee/tea or bottled carbonated drinks (coke, sprite, beer, etc). No milk, fruit juices, smoothies, water.

7) No vegetables, fruit, or yogurt/ice cream.

8) Continue the regiment on the return flight as the catering is done at the Destination.

My regiment becomes quite restricting and frankly, I start craving items from #7 after a few days. On the flipside, multiple trips to questionable destinations with no illness has solidified my perspective that the methodology that I employ doesn't need to be changed.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ

2) Use hotel bottled water as replacement for the 5L bottles once they are consumed. Will put chlorination tablets in the bottled water because of uncertainty about the source .

3) Bring bottled water from the plane to destination. Drink that throughout the day, refilling daily from the 5L stash.

5) Don't ingest water from shower/tap. Dry face immediately if it gets wet in shower.

6) At the hotel/office, drink coffee/tea or bottled carbonated drinks (coke, sprite, beer, etc). No milk, fruit juices, smoothies, water.

8) Continue the regiment on the return flight as the catering is done at the Destination.

My regiment becomes quite restricting and frankly, I start craving items from #7 after a few days. On the flipside, multiple trips to questionable destinations with no illness has solidified my perspective that the methodology that I employ doesn't need to be changed.
Yikes.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP

Staying at home decreases the risk yet more significantly, without exposing yourself to this strenous regime
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've traveled to lots of places where the water will almost certainly harm you, and am still here to tell the tale! I don't go overboard, I use common sense. In good quality hotels, especially those catering to western tourists, I tend to trust the food and drink, unless I see evidence to the contrary. I will assess buffets before eating at them, some are good, some are dreadful! I almost always avoid items like rice and mayonnaise based foods like potato salad and coleslaws. I don't eat meat, fish or seafood, so that eliminates a lot of options which can cause issues. I will weigh up the dairy options - in countries where pasteurization is not the norm, I may avoid milk, yogurt and ice cream, but usually find cheeses to be fine. I avoid lightly cooked eggs. I will usually avoid salad options too.

I always brush my teeth with bottled water, and in places where it is really a danger, I shower with a mouth full of mouth wash - it was a trick I was taught years ago, and it really avoids the water that accidentally may get into your mouth if you aren't really thinking first thing in the morning. I opt for diet coke as my drink of choice out and about, and use a disinfectant wipe over the top of the bottle or can before drinking. When buying bottled water I look for bottles in good condition, with seals, and that there are a lot of them (ideally still in the manufacturers cardboard / plastic wrap. Depending on location I will opt for the common local brand, as premium foreign imports seem to be more often a target for refilling and selling.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: Delta
Interesting reading here: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...elers-diarrhea

Personally I believe one shouldn't rely too much on rules of thumb like avoiding salads. Even "safe" categories of food can expose you to bad microbes if the overall hygiene and cleanliness in the food preparation process is poor - how were the plates, cutlery, glasses, and serving utensils cleaned (rinsed in the tap water...?), how clean are the hands of the server handling your food, etc. Best to pick places that are clean and busy (many locals eating there - presumably the place doesn't have a reputation for making you sick, and the food also doesn't sit for long accumulating bad microbes). Beyond that it seems there is definitely an element of chance, two travelers can react very differently to the exact same food and water, one is fine, the other falls terribly ill... One can try to minimize the risk but it never goes to zero, unfortunately.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:43 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
b) e.g. India, Kenya, brush teeth with bottled water, no salad or ice cubes
I avoid salad and ice cubes in India, but have never had a problem brushing my teeth with tap water. It's really the pani puri that gets you.

A neat thing I saw on my most recent visit were margaritas chilled with liquid nitrogen. I liked the concept and the ability to enjoy a cold cocktail outside without worrying about ice.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
"Montezuma's Revenge" isn't a universal thing for every American, I'm assuming? I've never been affected in the half-dozen or so trips to MX- and I brush my teeth with the tap water, have it at hotels and dinner, ...
I'm with you. There's benefit, assuming one has a sound immune system, in exposing it to a broad range of microorganisms to help build up immune resistance.

There are of course risks to this strategy.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:18 am

Don't overdo it. I've had an American lecture his travel party about only drinking bottled water in my city in Germany. Problem is both the bottled and our tap water come from the exact same place. So they basically paid premium for what in my city comes out if the tap too.
If you can ask repeat travelers or locals with visiting relatives that live in your country about water quality.
I've just spent time in a place where I wasn't sure about the water at first but after asking locals with visiting relatives who live in Germany I decided to drink the tap water.
While there are places you truly shouldn't drink the tap water I think being over cautious just makes you more prone to get sick from even slightly off water used to wash your salad, while someone who has at least used tap water in some places might have a much higher resistance to Montezuma's revenge
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Interesting article especially the study not showing as much risk from raw fruits and vegetables as assumed. I've read in the past about research looking into whether there is a genetic factor in some people being more susceptible to certain food/water-borne pathogens. Not much you can do about random bad luck, of course.

The book I mentioned upthread recommended using good quality oral rehydration salts for diarrhea. I buy these and have found that they really do speed up recovery from a bout of diarrhea...and also if you're really dehydrated in general:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OG8G9U2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OG8G9U2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
"Montezuma's Revenge" isn't a universal thing for every American, I'm assuming? I've never been affected in the half-dozen or so trips to MX- and I brush my teeth with the tap water, have it at hotels and dinner, ...
I did fine in Mexico recently until I stupidly drank water from one of the pitchers at one of the lounges in MEX on the way back to the US. I generally drank bottled/filtered water the rest of the time though (but I did use tap water when brushing teeth).

Anyway, next time I go I might explore using a Steripen and see how that goes. I've heard good things about them.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by linnet
Don't overdo it. I've had an American lecture his travel party about only drinking bottled water in my city in Germany. Problem is both the bottled and our tap water come from the exact same place. So they basically paid premium for what in my city comes out if the tap too.
If you can ask repeat travelers or locals with visiting relatives that live in your country about water quality.

Not overdoing it is good advice. Be wary about advice from Americans. Their CDC is very conservative when it comes to water safety and other potential travel risks.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/food-water-safety

Asking locals carries some risks though. When asked people in northern Namibia seemed mildly offended and bluntly informed me their water came from underground bore holes and was quite safe. I've drank tap water there ever since with no ill effects.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
I travel frequently to India and stick to food, thats boiled, fried or cooked in some way.
No desserts, youghurt, fruits or juices.
Brush teeth in bottled water, check cap before opening.

And just in case, have Hep A vaccine, and carries Cipro and Loperamide. Only once had to use them in 20 + trips.

Boring, yes, but for the normal 3-5 day trips, its manageable, which 3 days in bed isn't.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:53 pm

Water from the hot tap is a useful tip for cleaning teeth if you ‘think’ the tap water is probably safe but are not quite certain.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares

I'd love to see you do this in Iceland.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
In places where bottled water may be difficult or expensive to obtain (e.g. remote areas, even in fairly wealthy countries), I simply use chlorine tablets with tap or stream water. $6 for 100 on Amazon, each one treats 1.5 L. You get used to the taste.

In some places (rural India) I would pack my own utensils so I can be sure of their cleanliness, or eat with my hands (after sanitizing them, obviously).

Avoid raw fruit and vegetables (except things like mangoes, banana, etc. with a thick skin). Generally prefer thoroughly and freshly cooked foods (not reheated).

Carry hand sanitizer and use it liberally before eating.

When in doubt, drink whisky - neat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.