Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cutting vacation short because foreign country is... too foreign

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:07 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
My wife was so mosquito-bitten that she developed blood poisoning while we were on an out-island in Fiji and we bugged out to New Zealand. Beautiful place, nice people, crap medical services.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Doing anything during Chinese New Year in places like China or Taiwan is always a no no, just because of the travel logistics nightmares.
So I haven't left, but I do plan around NOT being there during this time period.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I used to live on a small island in the Bahamas for a few years.
It didn't get cruises, and only a handful of tourists. It was great except for Xmas holidays when it was overran by Americans.
That's when I would leave the island.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I was a kid we cut short a vacation to Rainy Lake, Minnesota because of hordes of biting flies. That's about the only time I've cut short a vacation.

Mr. Gfunk and I were quite done with Peru after just a few days, but stuck it out the whole 9 days we were there. It was just kind of boring and depressing in Lima and Cusco. But the food was stellar.

I'm reminded of this list of funny TripAdvisor complaints.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...Peninsula.html
muji likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Doing anything during Chinese New Year in places like China or Taiwan is always a no no, just because of the travel logistics nightmares.
So I haven't left, but I do plan around NOT being there during this time period.
I have been following this thread from the outset, and my thought has consistently been, don't people plan their trips, do a little research?
lhrsfo, 84fiero and Jeannietx like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: Too many to list
I never had to cut it short but I wish I could have during Ramadan in Indonesia.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
When my children were very small - one still in nappies - we had a two week holiday in a gite in Brittany. There was a washing machine and no dryer. It rained non-stop, all their clothes were covered in mud and we couldn't get them dry. After a week, still with the forecast of more non-stop rain, we cut our losses and went home.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Ya the call to prayer at 4:45 am....

Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
I never had to cut it short but I wish I could have during Ramadan in Indonesia.
....was always a treat.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by catcher1
I have been following this thread from the outset, and my thought has consistently been, don't people plan their trips, do a little research?
If you spent time on travel forums rather than this 'flyer' forum catcher1, you would soon realize that no, most people don't.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by catcher1
You assume that everyone always has final say over a destination. Sometimes you’re traveling with other people and have to do things they want to do.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Another perhaps more understandable example that I have heard of is people visiting countries like India and when confronted with the poverty all around them, can't cope. That at least is somewhat understandable although anyone doing enough of their own research should know what to expect.

I think that research is the real issue in such situations. The lack of it, that is.
Agree that people should research new places before they visit.

But, in defense of at least some people who encounter the unexpected, sometimes simply reading about a place (or even watching video) is not enough to prepare you for the sights (and definitely not the smells and sounds and tastes and atmosphere) of a foreign place. You can think you know what to expect and still end up overpowered by what you discover on the ground.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CX Gold
I've ghosted on tours that were just terrible and didn't meet expectations, but then just proceeded to explore on my own. Never left a city or country early.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:39 pm

Not for culture shock but for boredom and horrible weather for sure. I left Rome because it was pouring for days straight and I just could not deal with it any longer. I had done everything I could think to do and was bored out of my mind.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
dalehill
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher1 I have been following this thread from the outset, and my thought has consistently been, don't people plan their trips, do a little research?
You assume that everyone always has final say over a destination. Sometimes you’re traveling with other people and have to do things they want to do.
I guess I'm just lucky then: I get to decide whether to travel with other people or not, especially if they will be doing things I don't want to do. (Or, if I really want to travel with the other people, to point out the risks in their plans and bail if they still want to proceed with them.)
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
Heh, even me myself as Indonesian muslim, I had to cut my Ramadan trip this year. Got sick and feel very weak. I think I overestimated my body endurance during the fasting.

Foods for sahur and iftar also weren't vastly and easily available in some parts of Sumatera compared to in Java - where the street food stall is everywhere. That's also bit unfortunate for me.

I've done this and have no such problems before, but I don't think I'll travel again at the time of the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.