Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Visiting higher/lower cabins during a flight. What's the etiquette?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:58 am
Original Poster

[edited]

Anyway, I'll be traveling in first and my friend will be traveling economy. My question is, what's the etiquette in me visiting him in economy during the flight? I wouldn't be smuggling first class food or anything but just a quick chat during a long haul flight to break up the time

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jul 6, 2018 at 4:44 pm Reason: Moot after thread split
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by jrpaguia
Not sure them guys with the gun racks aspire to anything European (or anything not made by GM).

Here's my view of the analogy:

First = Aston Martin Vanquish
Business = BMW M5
Economy Plus = BMW 328 (not 335), any MB C-class (except AMG)
Economy = Honda Accord
Premium economy is maybe the BMW 328i, but I'd say economy plus is a Honda Accord, and economy is a Honda Civic. Almost the same car, a little more legroom in the E+.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was in F on a flight ORD-DEL and went back to J to visit a friend. The FAs were polite but made it clear I shouldn't stay long. Visitors get in their way. If you really want to be with your friend, then you should either get him upgraded or suffer in economy yourself.

Me, I'd wish a pleasant goodbye to my friend at the gate and catch up with him several hours later.

Originally Posted by Gig103
Premium economy is maybe the BMW 328i, but I'd say economy plus is a Honda Accord, and economy is a Honda Civic. Almost the same car, a little more legroom in the E+.
I like my Accord a hell of a lot more than E or E+.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Travelled in J while friends in economy. I didn't feel the need to have to see them for 3 hours.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jrpaguia
Not sure them guys with the gun racks aspire to anything European (or anything not made by GM).

Here's my view of the analogy:

First = Aston Martin Vanquish
Business = BMW M5
Economy Plus = BMW 328 (not 335), any MB C-class (except AMG)
Economy = Honda Accord
Let's keep it to one manufacturer!

First: S-Class
Business: E-Class
Premium Economy: CLA-Class (skipped C-Class, too nice these days)
Basic Economy: Sprinter Van
Dave737 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: none
Wrong answers. Don't trust what some anonymous expert says on FT

You can do ANYTHING you want on ANY flight as long as the crew says it's OK. Just ask first, and they say"fine", then do it. But if they say "no," then there's your answer. It's that easy.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Allan38103

You can do ANYTHING you want on ANY flight as long as the crew says it's OK. Just ask first, and they say"fine", then do it. But if they say "no," then there's your answer. It's that easy.
And be considerate. Don't block the aisle and don't disturb other passengers.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:42 am

The etiquette (and in some places the actual law) is that you can go only down from your class of travel, save for having permission from the crew to do otherwise.

I.e., without asking the crew, you can visit your friend but he can't visit you.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On international flights *TO* the USA, the security rule presumably is that you must stay in your ticketed cabin. This would preclude visiting down as well as visiting up.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On international flights *TO* the USA, the security rule presumably is that you must stay in your ticketed cabin. This would preclude visiting down as well as visiting up.
A quirky rule since everyone has to go through the same security procedures to get on to a plane heading to the US.

There is no plan for him to visit me because we've all seen Bridesmaids But for 14+ hour flight, a little chat in steerage would a nice break
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't see why people can't just remain in their own cabin. People moving around inflight in general is annoying. We all need to do the basics - use the loo, etc. - but extraneous wandering between cabins is a nuisance to the crew and other passengers.

My wife and I travel in separate cabins a lot. (If you've ever noticed vastly different search results when you search 1F vs 2F across an entire alliance, you know why.) We've never failed to locate each other in the gate area upon arrival.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by catcher1
And be considerate. Don't block the aisle and don't disturb other passengers.
+1

Being considerate goes along with the crew
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
I don't see why people can't just remain in their own cabin. People moving around inflight in general is annoying. We all need to do the basics - use the loo, etc. - but extraneous wandering between cabins is a nuisance to the crew and other passengers.

My wife and I travel in separate cabins a lot. (If you've ever noticed vastly different search results when you search 1F vs 2F across an entire alliance, you know why.) We've never failed to locate each other in the gate area upon arrival.
This.

Fidgety adults are annoying, and I am willing to bet most of the visitations in the higher classes are far from critical. The f or c pax should go back to coach if they need to speak so only those with tickets for f and c are in those cabins.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by meraki
[edited]

Anyway, I'll be traveling in first and my friend will be traveling economy. My question is, what's the etiquette in me visiting him in economy during the flight? I wouldn't be smuggling first class food or anything but just a quick chat during a long haul flight to break up the time
Try texting if the flight is WiFi enabled
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Allan38103

The thread's title is about etiquette.
I'd suggest that good manners dictate what ought to be done in consideration of others, rather that doing something just because you can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.