Wiki Posts
Search

Inferiority complex when flying non-hub airlines out of fortress hubs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Inferiority complex when flying non-hub airlines out of fortress hubs

This is silly but today's Friday.

When I'm at DTW and not flying Delta, I feel like I'm not part of the cool kids. The Delta terminal is huge, airy, has an interior train, has multiple lounges and shops and restaurants. Looking at the departures board you see flights heading all over the world, and you feel like you're part of something real. The other airlines' terminal is very dull and limited.

The same deflating feeling of being an outcast applies at DFW when not flying American, or EWR when not flying United.

Anybody else share these sentiments?
dfw88 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope.

Back when UA still flew into the Smith terminal it was great - no crowds and a short walk from baggage to the street. I was captive to NWA for too long when I lived in MSP and visited family in DTW - I'm quite happy to avoid both DL and the McNamara terminal.

Last edited by chrisl137; Jul 6, 2018 at 4:14 pm Reason: wrong terminal name
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
When I am in any airport in the world, I am just trying to get from one place to another, so no I don't get the "inferiority complex".
Scots_Al, obscure2k, NPF and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
It is just public transportation.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At EWR, I'm happy that I'm not flying UA but I'm happier if I can avoid EWR totally.
goodeats21, AStarr and krazykanuck like this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
I really like flying from LHR because of the superior Oneworld lounge offering, same in HEL. However, that's where the difference stops for me.

I sometimes walk past the Senator lounge in ZRH and wonder... what if I did switch my loyalty program. But that's that.

Last edited by thebigben; Jul 7, 2018 at 2:32 am
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
IAD is the exact opposite. Terminal A/B is very nice. UA's Terminal C/D is awful, but it's temporary so maybe it'll be replaced by the end of the century.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
No, my personal psychology isn't affected by an airplane logo.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by thebigben
I really like flying from LHR because of the superior Oneworld lounge offering, same in HEL. However, that's where the difference stops for me.

I sometimes walk past the Senator lounge in ZRH and wonder... what if I did switch my loyalty program. But that's that.
I really like flying *A from LHR because of the superior *A lounges. I find the BA lounges (and T5 generally) to be overcrowded and underwhelming. Having said that, T2 is a *A hub.

But, on point, I generally prefer places that are less crowded so I certainly wouldn’t feel inferior because I am not one of the masses.
Duke787 and AStarr like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
I love that I’m AA when I fly into ATL. Almost like a mini airport within an airport. I actually get a superiority complex from the poor schmucks who have To fly Delta.
AStarr likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
I love that I’m AA when I fly into ATL. Almost like a mini airport within an airport. I actually get a superiority complex from the poor schmucks who have To fly Delta.
I assume you must be going into T concourse. AA and UA got some gates there for their business-oriented flights, but that's atypical and most people get to deal with either concourse C or the end of concourse D. Those concourses haven't gotten the same attention as the DL ones.

If you fly the ULCCs you often get the oldest terminal or the least-wanted place in the pecking order. Though with MIA you get to see the pictures of 50s and 60s celebs that went there. With FLL the old concourse H used to be the "Black Hole of Calcutta" for Spirit passengers, but now they have space in the adjoining concourse as well.

Sometimes, though, like SEA and LAS, some of the legacies get booted to satellite terminals and you're better off with the older concourse.

The difference usually is in which places attract the best restaurants and other vendors. Northwest tried to do that for their hubs when they were around...even in MEM.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Not really.

The less-dominant carrier is often friendlier, less crowded, and easier to use. Especially if they're just barely big enough to have a lounge of their own. (AA in DEN is my personal example.)
jinglish and BearX220 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:37 am
Suspended

I like it. I feel like I am avoiding the bulk of the crowds. And I REALLY love not flying WN from any airport, but especially out of PHX and SAN..SAN isn't a WN hub but that circle of hell is a torment when you fly WN from SAN, and a dodged bullet when you don't.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I like it. I feel like I am avoiding the bulk of the crowds. And I REALLY love not flying WN from any airport, but especially out of PHX and SAN..SAN isn't a WN hub but that circle of hell is a torment when you fly WN from SAN, and a dodged bullet when you don't.
You mean you don't love that grungy Gate 1 that Southwest uses? I'm pretty sure they only got that gate because Greyhound didn't want it.

My PHX travel is typically okay on the hub carrier (AA). Mainly because I've yet to run into serious WX there.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
You mean you don't love that grungy Gate 1 that Southwest uses? I'm pretty sure they only got that gate because Greyhound didn't want it.

My PHX travel is typically okay on the hub carrier (AA). Mainly because I've yet to run into serious WX there.
I actually prefer Gate 1 and 2. 1A especially...if only because they are not in the Circle of Hell and no matter how chock full the main area gets, that 1A area tends to remain empty so I hang out in there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.