Wiki Posts
Search

Pacers and Yalkers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Pacers and Yalkers

Now almost everyone carries cell phones. It is to be accepted that hearing "foreign-redundant conversation" is the norm.
How about beyond talking. What annoys me most is the phone users who pace up and down, talking loudly oblivious of the surroundings. These are the people who miss their flights/connections and often wander into the wrong gate and try to board-I actually saw one who ran to the gate at the last minute, still talking on the phone.
What about audio gawking? Is it OK to listen in on others' conversations? Have you encountered any strange cell phone behavior/conversations in airports?
I would like to feel important. I would like to engage in imaginary business conversations.. with Elan Musk or any other business people and make a billion dollar deals. At one time when I didn't have a cell phone, in a doctors' social gathering, I took out my garage door opener and pretended to engage in a deep conversation.
I also notice that many business people open their laptops the moment they are seated. Often it is an Excel file with lots of dollar figures or emails. They frantically start adding numbers or replying emails. These people should be aware that they unlikely to be paid for the work during the non-working hours. Perhaps boredom. I would like to develop a software that would generate important business finance Excel sheet (like crossword puzzle) and the user is expected to show a profit by manipulating numbers. Higher the profit higher are the points. Frequent solver points that they can use to put in their Cvs to impress the next employer.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
What's a "yalker"?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by 84fiero
What's a "yalker"?
I think OP is trying to coin a morpheme: yeller + talker.

Originally Posted by Gynob001
I also notice that many business people open their laptops the moment they are seated... These people should be aware that they unlikely to be paid for the work during the non-working hours.
We're not doing it because we want to, or to impress you. We're doing it because there is more work than will fit in the day. Every hour is a working hour.

At one time when I didn't have a cell phone, in a doctors' social gathering, I took out my garage door opener and pretended to engage in a deep conversation.
Seek help.
ajGoes, rbwpi, Statman and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BearX220

We're not doing it because we want to, or to impress you. We're doing it because there is more work than will fit in the day. Every hour is a working hour.

Interesting that you perceive the amount of work as determining the amount of hours you have to work rather than perceiving the amount of work hours you are paid for as determining how much work can be accomplished in that given amount of time. Do you see what I am saying?

When I still had to work for a living, when asked to take on an additional task, I never said no. However, I often replied with something like, 'I can do that, no problem. However, I will not then have enough time left to complete the other task you have asked me to do. Which task do you want me to do?

It's called 'passing the monkey.' People try to pass the monkey onto your back all the time. If you are foolish enough to let them, then yes, you will not have enough hours in the normal work day to get everything done. The trick is to learn how to not accept the monkey but instead place it firmly back on the other person's shoulders.

Every hour is not a working hour unless you choose to make it one. You can control your work/life balance or you can let others control if for you. But it is important to understand that it is you who is actually making that choice. You are not alone in apparently not realizing this BearX220, many people think as you do but that doesn't mean there is not another way to see it and act accordingly.

Consider again, your statement that, 'every hour is a working hour'. Does that really make sense to you and is that really how you want your life to be?
Statman, rickg523 and Jeannietx like this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Do you see what I am saying?
As a non-salaried entrepreneur, no.
Larrude likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:27 am

Is it OK to listen in on others' conversations?
Perfectly reasonable, in fact encouraged too ! Might as well call up someone your know and start feeding off information from the said conversation
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Talking on cellphones is now part of the public environment. No amount of complaining about it on web forums will change what has become widely-practiced public behavior. Unless it is specifically banned (e.g. movie theater) and you can report it to the relevant authority, your choices are to confront the offending individual at the time and take your chances or accept it do your best to ignore it.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:42 am

The working world has changed in the past decade or two. It's not that easy to say no or pass off work off.

That being said if someone is having a long loud phone call and doesn't even attempt to step away from others I'll blatantly listen in and if they are really loud and obnoxious and talking for a while I might even comment on what they are saying. To shut them up.

Last time through atl I took a personal phone call and talked for an hour. I didn't scream into my phone and I moved to an empty gate in view of my gate.
A bit of common courtesy goes a long way.
BearX220 and LTBoston like this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I also notice that many business people open their laptops the moment they are seated. Often it is an Excel file with lots of dollar figures or emails. They frantically start adding numbers or replying emails. These people should be aware that they unlikely to be paid for the work during the non-working hours.
I guess you're union
rbwpi and BearX220 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
At one time when I didn't have a cell phone, in a doctors' social gathering, I took out my garage door opener and pretended to engage in a deep conversation.
My daughter used to do the same thing with her Sesame Street play telephone.
MichaelKade likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I guess you're union
By which you mean smart enough not to voluntarily accept indentured servitude?
rbwpi, OTD and rankourabu like this.

Last edited by rickg523; Jul 6, 2018 at 12:43 pm
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:00 am
Suspended

As a non-salaried entrepreneur, no.
Well maybe you would already be a retired entrepreneur if you gave a bit more thought to the fact that being busy all the time does not equate to being productive. I suggest you try scheduling your time to include 'off' time which includes turning your smartphone completely off. Also try applying the Pareto principle to what you want to achieve.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinkr.../#48218e43023e

I retired 20+ years ahead of my peers and never worked 16 hour days or had to give up my personal life to achieve my goals. Managing a work/life balance is a skill like any other and can be learned. Working all the hours in the day requires no skill whatsoever, anyone can do that.

I like to think of it like one of those sayings people make up, like, 'He who works the least and achieves the most, wins.'
rbwpi, rickg523 and tentseller like this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
I think OP is trying to coin a morpheme: yeller + talker.

Seek help.
Why aren't you working? Remember, every hour is a working hour. Think of the work time you have wasted away with your 18,000+posts!
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
If I have a call to make or have a call to take I will do so unless there are clear rules in place that proscribe the use of phones. It is not reasonable to expect people will defer calls, business or otherwise, out of some concern they might offend people in the immediate vicinity. I will keep my voice low.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:26 am

I think it's reasonable to not disturb 100+ other people with your phone call.
So stepping to a side or at the very least talking low is expected.
Common courtesy dictates that you don't disturb a crowd with your screaming or yelling down the phone for ages.
If I can't hear my own words because there is some very important business guy screaming into his phone who probably ran into my legs a couple of times already because he is also pacing between the seat rows at the gate I get a tad bit annoyed.
Common sense also should show that if the surrounding noise level or quality of your connection is so bad that you need to yell down the phone that much there is a pretty good chance that the person on the other end won't hear everything you say and might actually mess up your damn instructions.
I hate it when clients call from busy airports or other crowds and think yelling will solve the issue of the wall of sound or worse the breaking connection on their side. If I hear every second syllable cause your call is breaking up yelling will do jack for our talk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.