Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Girl switches seats w/ couple, couple documents everything that ensues

Old Jul 5, 18, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, Amex HHonors Surpass, HHonors Gold

I'm not sure I share the sentiments of those who are reacting happily to this. Seems like a huge invasion of privacy and more than a bit creepy.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/rosebuchana...s-and-feelings
Old Jul 5, 18, 10:27 am
Suspended

Good lord.

"Blair told BuzzFeed News that she and her boyfriend were sad they weren't sitting together."

This again. If you want to sit together, BOOK SEATS TOGETHER!!

As for the whole love angle, meh. If it worked for them, great. Buzzfeed should circle back in 2 years when they hate each others guts, have restraining orders against each other and a contentious child support battle.

Is that cynical?
pudgym29 and MichaelKade like this.
Old Jul 5, 18, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Invasion of privacy? Oversharing? Welcome to the domain of the compulsive/professional blogger.

As for the reason for the switch... Let's not be too judgmental about the writer's boyfriend asking a stranger to swap seats to sit next to her. Sometimes people need to book seats at the last minute and there aren't two together. If the swap request entails like-for-like seats, e.g., "Would you mind sitting on the aisle one row back instead of on this aisle?" there's no shame in asking. It's only when a seat swapper offers a clearly inferior exchange that we FFs start to roll our eyes.
Old Jul 5, 18, 2:26 pm

Programs: US Gold
I recently had occasion to make such a request when a friend and I unexpectedly ran into each other in the airline club just before boarding and had seats in the same cabin section. We swapped an aisle for an aisle and everyone was happy.

wg
ajGoes, msben and Kamalaasaa like this.
Old Jul 5, 18, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by wendyg View Post
I recently had occasion to make such a request when a friend and I unexpectedly ran into each other in the airline club just before boarding and had seats in the same cabin section. We swapped an aisle for an aisle and everyone was happy.
Did you then Insta-story the interactions between the people you were supposed to be sitting next to?
Old Jul 5, 18, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Voluntarily swapping seats is no problem; I've complied with fair requests many times. Touting your wonderfulness and the great blessings you believe that you've bestowed via the swap, including photos, reveals yourself to be a lout.
msben, DCP2016, Badenoch and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 5, 18, 5:02 pm

Programs: none
Then the couple flew to Nigeria of all places where they struck it rich in oil (I think), caught a rare terminal disease, and now they want to share their fortune before they die.

It's all over the internet. You can look it up.
Old Jul 5, 18, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
(clickbait)**n, n very large ... and only amplified by ďlikeĒ and re-posting and re-linking

< curmudgeon alert >
just because one person thinks itís worth sharing on their social network does **NOT** mean itís worth sharing further
< /alert >
Old Jul 5, 18, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Yikes, I understand IFE might be lacking on aircraft with no PTV's but this is definitely an attention grab bordering on creepy.
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jul 6, 18, 9:05 am
Suspended

What strikes me is that this was supposed to be about them being sad at not sitting together and that was the reason to ask for the seat switch. Then they spent the entire time it seems, watching the other two people.

So much for them wanting to be together. Or do they think being together is about being able to watch and eavesdrop on other people together? LMAO.
Old Jul 6, 18, 9:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by darthbimmer View Post
Invasion of privacy? Oversharing? Welcome to the domain of the compulsive/professional blogger.

As for the reason for the switch... Let's not be too judgmental about the writer's boyfriend asking a stranger to swap seats to sit next to her. Sometimes people need to book seats at the last minute and there aren't two together.
Not my problem. They can sort it with the GA before imposing their wants on total strangers.
Old Jul 6, 18, 11:32 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Proudelitist View Post
Not my problem. They can sort it with the GA before imposing their wants on total strangers.
How do you know they didn't already try to "sort it with the GA before imposing their wants on total strangers?" Anyway, the person being asked can always say no. There is no indication given that he laid a guilt trip or was pushy or entitled. I've been asked to move and declined plenty of times. No skin off my nose, but also no reason to act so aghast or offended at the situation.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 6, 18, 2:35 pm

This again. If you want to sit together, BOOK SEATS TOGETHER!!
You are imposing your personal dictum on "total strangers." I urge you to get over yourself.
Old Jul 6, 18, 4:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards

Moderator Note: This thread is now closed.
obscure2k likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: