Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Would you write your credit card number on a hotel registration form?

Old Jul 2, 18, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

I've traveled a fair amount. I've checked in to hundreds of hotels. Something just happened that I don't think has happened before, and I wanted your feedback.

I'm checking into a mid range hotel in Bangkok in the heart of the, um, tourist district. A place very used to foreign guests, I assume.

I hand her my passport, and she hands me the registration form. She asks me to fill in my email address and credit card number. There's a line there near the bottom on the form to write down credit card number and expiration date.

I balked at that. I offered to hand her the card and have her charge it or pre-authorize it or whatever. She asked me to write it down on the form. I said I didn't want to do that, because then anyone who got the form would have my credit card number. She said "OK never mind" but it was sort of a dismissive "never mind," like she thought I was being a ninny.

I have written my credit card number down on paper forms before and faxed the forms to merchants, or scanned and emailed them the forms, etc. But I don't recall ever being asked to write down the card number when standing in front of a merchant who has, you know, a credit card machine.

As a side note, I recall years ago in Cambodia pulling a blank laundry sheet from my wardrobe and seeing that, in an effort to save paper, they were re-using old guest folio sheets. So one side of the paper had the laundry prices and check boxes, the other side of the paper had the name address, room rate, credit card number with expiration date and security code of a guest who had booked online and stayed there last week.

I guess when I book online with a hotel and send them my credit card info, they can presumably just print that right out, but I just didn't want to write the number down on the form. Was I wrong or is the hotel wrong for expecting guests to do this?
Old Jul 2, 18, 5:38 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I never leave my CC out of sight.

Last edited by WorldLux; Jul 3, 18 at 8:54 am
Old Jul 2, 18, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Depends on the country. In the US, the scanners don't even record more than the last 4 digits, CVV, and expiration once the transaction is approved. Elsewhere, you may see the old paper forms which take an impression of the card (of if the numbers are not raised, are hand-written).

All of these systems carry a risk and it can be heightened in some countries. But, the better question to ask is what you would do if the clerk had simply said, "no problem, when you have completed the form, we'll complete your registration and issue your room key" ???
Old Jul 2, 18, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Yes. Have done umpteen times, most recently 4 weeks ago at a 5* resort in Greece. They donít have my PIN, or even CVC, so any charges would have to be of the customer-not-present variety which card companies are most alive to in terms of fraud monitoring, and most amenable to blocking when you dispute them.
Old Jul 2, 18, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Deleted. Duplicate.
Old Jul 2, 18, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Gold
Cast your mind back to the old days (if you remember them).

When you checked in, the desk would make an actual imprint of your credit card. Remember that? The whole reason for embossed numbers? I don't see this as being any different We did it at Hyatt in the 80s, even WITH electronic approvals first.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jul 2, 18, 5:27 pm

Just write down your number and change the last digit.
Old Jul 2, 18, 6:25 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K
I think you did smart, having physical record just makes it easier to attempt fraud versus the swiping that goes on for almost every transaction these days.

In generally in the US most eating establishments users think nothing of giving the CC to the vendors and they take it away 10's of minutes, who knows what gets lifted, including the 3-4 digit security if they have dishonest employees. From a risk point of view a bigger deal with more information leak.

CC fraud still is rampant but most major CC also have aggressive AI tuned fraud monitors so actual loss to you is slim to non-existent but the hassle of fraud reporting and getting a new card are a PIA if traveling.
Old Jul 2, 18, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I would probably do the same - ask for the reason the number was needed, and see if there's some reason I can't think of. If so, I'd generate a virtual number with my card's app and provide that - credit limit = the stay amount, and expiration at the end of the month.

Without a good reason, I'd just say I'd rather not write it down.

Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
I never leave my CC out of side.
Translation, in terms of writing down a CC number?

Last edited by CPRich; Jul 3, 18 at 9:24 am
Old Jul 3, 18, 4:11 am

If they insist, like an earlier poster mentioned, I tend to change random numbers. I do that if they ask me to write down the passport number. Never have I been called up for it.
Old Jul 3, 18, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Statman View Post
Just write down your number and change the last digit.
I do that if I am Mrs Smith at a dodgy hotel....ooops my address is listed as 81 instead of 31. Must be my terrible writing.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 18, 6:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I have transient dyslexia in certain situations. Numbers get transposed so easily.
Old Jul 3, 18, 9:02 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by hotturnip View Post
Cast your mind back to the old days (if you remember them).
In the old days, it was not quite as easy to buy goods/services.

Originally Posted by Scots_Al View Post
Yes. Have done umpteen times, most recently 4 weeks ago at a 5* resort in Greece. They donít have my PIN, or even CVC, so any charges would have to be of the customer-not-present variety which card companies are most alive to in terms of fraud monitoring, and most amenable to blocking when you dispute them.
It's still a PITA. The card needs replacing. It's not cool being thousands of miles away from home to find out that your card has been blocked.

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Translation, terms of writing down a CC number?
Ooops.
Old Jul 3, 18, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
I never leave my CC out of sight.
I still don't understand - CC doesn't need to be out of your sight for you to write down the number. In fact, it needs to be in your sight unless you have it memorized.
Old Jul 3, 18, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
I still don't understand - CC doesn't need to be out of your sight for you to write down the number. In fact, it needs to be in your sight unless you have it memorized.
The implication is that giving someone else the number means it is "out of sight" so WorldLux wouldn't do that. Pretty clear in context.

I think that's excessively conservative but to each their own. Odds of someone dong something untoward with the card number are spectacularly low. And often picking the fight just to be "right" isn't worth the effort.

Search this Thread