Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Would you write your credit card number on a hotel registration form?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you write your credit card number on a hotel registration form?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
The implication is that giving someone else the number means it is "out of sight" so WorldLux wouldn't do that. Pretty clear in context.

I think that's excessively conservative but to each their own. Odds of someone dong something untoward with the card number are spectacularly low. And often picking the fight just to be "right" isn't worth the effort.
I bought lunch for my team at a deli in Chicago a couple of weeks ago. One of those situations where I handed a menu around the meeting room and then walked down to the deli with the list so I could pick the order up at noon. I place the order, and they ask me for my credit card. No big deal - they are literally standing *at* the cash register. Rather than ring me up though, she writes my credit card number on a 4 part carbonless order form. And my name. And my expiration date. And my CVV. And then asks me for my billing zip code, and writes that down also.

I asked her to make sure that she left space for my SSN, but she didn't think that was funny....
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Having to write my card details down on paper in general creeps me out, not just in the scenario OP described. Unfortunately it's sometimes unavoidable.

Originally Posted by chipmaster
In generally in the US most eating establishments users think nothing of giving the CC to the vendors and they take it away 10's of minutes, who knows what gets lifted, including the 3-4 digit security if they have dishonest employees.
We had an opportunity to change this but apparently most American consumers had a huge problem with portable terminals carried by servers (and the other options have their own issues). That's for another thread though.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Yes. I purposefully have my bills paid on a separate card from the one I use for day to day purchases. I keep an eye out for fraud, but I'm not liable and worst case I have to use my backup card for a bit til the new one comes. It's good to be suspicious but sometimes you just have to critically evaluate risks and decide if the inconvenience is worth it.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:23 pm
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
I have scratched the CVV2 code off the back of all my credit cards, so that if someone copies the card info from the card, they will not have the CVV2 code which is needed for most online purchases, which I think is the highest misuse risk.

For physical transactions you should never need the CVV2 anyway, so it does not need to be shown on the card. I remember the CVV2 number for the cards I use most online, anyway, and save them all in my password manager.

Once a hotel asked for the missing CVV2 code at check-in and I tried to have a discussion about online vs card present transactions, but they were using some web-payment system with no alternative. Annoying but validated the idea of scratching the number off, otherwise I would not have known they copied the full card info.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Wouldn't bother me to write it down in the OP's specific situation.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:50 am

I also refuse to put my credit card number on forms like this. I consider this is not right t all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.