Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Immigration/Security Howlers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mandolino
But they let me go through on my UK drivers licence, and back into the UK later in the week, without even checking.
No massive fail here.

UK and Eire are part of what’s known as the Common Travel Area - a sort of mini-Schenghen for the two countries. Whilst technically the free movement rights only apply to citizens of the two countries, in practice you hardly ever get any controls on the UK side. You do pass through passport control at DUB, but I think that’s at least partly a function of airport design, and you should be able to pass through with any old proof of UK citizenship (which a driving licence isn’t of course, but again in practice may be accepted).
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Carnforth
At our local airport, my notebook computer was taken aside for security inspection.
I was slightly concerned as the keyboard was in a bit of a state and the screen
was covered in finger-marks
"I'm sorry but it's a bit dirty" I said.
"Whatever is on your computer is of no concern to us" came the somewhat unexpected reply.
OK, this made me chuckle a bit...
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by Scots_Al

No massive fail here.

UK and Eire are part of what’s known as the Common Travel Area - a sort of mini-Schenghen for the two countries. Whilst technically the free movement rights only apply to citizens of the two countries, in practice you hardly ever get any controls on the UK side. You do pass through passport control at DUB, but I think that’s at least partly a function of airport design, and you should be able to pass through with any old proof of UK citizenship (which a driving licence isn’t of course, but again in practice may be accepted).
I also went through passport control in the UK on my return. I showed my licence and started to explain but he wasn't listening and had already beckoned the next person through.

I don't think that's how it's supposed to work at all.
I found it odd that I always got a grilling, in UK and Ireland, when I turned up with passport, biometric residence permit and landing card, but none of these when I turned up with only a driver's licence (that stated my birthplace was Australia).
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

likely extremely common, vs certain countries
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:14 pm

I was once returning from JFK and forgot that I had sun screen in my bag (Is cream a liquid one ponders) and she said I'm sorry but I will have to throw this away, do you need it? My instant quick witted reply was 'not where I'm going' of course meaning the UK isn't renowned for sun. I was met by a very panicked stare by the TSA Agent until I explained my bad joke. Needless to say I had the last laugh.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:30 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Using Moderator Discretion and locking this thread
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.