Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's your weirdest seat-mate behavior?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your weirdest seat-mate behavior?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH: Diamond, WofH: Globalist, UA: 1k, Longterm member only post when I have something new to ask/say
As the OP I thank you many times my FT friends for making me laugh, cry, and understand that having to breathe in some nut-job's nail dust for 20 minutes was actually not so bad.

If I may nominate a winner, it's Mr. "Pee in the bag and hand it to the FA"

I wish a FA would start a thread like this. They must have seen some .....
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:39 pm

There was a gum under my food tray and had to ask an attendant to get it cleaned and sanitized.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by yaromac
As the OP I thank you many times my FT friends for making me laugh, cry, and understand that having to breathe in some nut-job's nail dust for 20 minutes was actually not so bad.

If I may nominate a winner, it's Mr. "Pee in the bag and hand it to the FA"

I wish a FA would start a thread like this. They must have seen some .....

The thing about that though that is maybe even worse than it happening, well, unless you were sitting there I suppose, was how believable it was to me. If you told that to the person in front of you in line at the grocery store they probably wouldn’t believe it. And I’ve never seen anything like it. But after flying like 4 million miles and reading this forum for a decade and a half or whatever and I’m like, sure, that happened.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:27 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
I'd venture to guess that it won't be long until someone posts about an encounter with me as a seat mate. "Then he took the safety card out of the seat back pocket AND TOOK A PICTURE OF IT!" The things I have done to get good content for my trip reports has risen an eyebrow or two, I'm sure of it.
wrp96, Annalisa12 and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by zitsky
For any of these stories, you can choose to engage or not with another pax. You're not helpless.
I think in several of the above posted scenarios, there's nothing that a passenger has the authority to do.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by SANspotter
I'd venture to guess that it won't be long until someone posts about an encounter with me as a seat mate. "Then he took the safety card out of the seat back pocket AND TOOK A PICTURE OF IT!" The things I have done to get good content for my trip reports has risen an eyebrow or two, I'm sure of it.
If you are someone of a certain color and accent, I bet someone will notify an FA about you...even though it's the 80 year old with plastique in her shoes that they should be worried about, lol.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: UA MP Gold
Originally Posted by davesam12
One recent, one many years ago.

3 weeks ago. Short last leg night flight heading home. I'm in F seat 4E on an AA 737-800. As I'm sipping my GT, I notice. Young, well dressed, business type guy diagonally in front of me in 3F spends a good portion of the flight scrolling through nude photos of a young women on his iPhone. Very visible to me through the seat gap. Personally, I'm not offended, could care less, none of my business, he's not bothering me in the least, but I am just amused that anyone would look at something so personal in a confined public space. F was full btw. He had a seat mate next to him also.

Many years ago. Flight to LAS. Remember the "Club" seats on Southwest Airlines toward the rear of their 737's. 3 and 3 facing each other. 3 of us are in the forward facing seats. Middle aged couple boards and sits in seats facing us. They have a blanket which they cover themselves with up to their chins. Let's just say if they thought they were fooling anyone they weren't. Hands were flying under that blanket during the flight. We just cracked up and laughed till tears ran. We couldn't help it. And it didn't bother or deter the couple in the least. What happens on the way to Vegas, stays on the way to Vegas.
At least until the first opportunity to share it on a public forum
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Shombolar
Me at the window, squished in by a large guy in the middle seat who uncapped an empty Mountain Dew bottle and proceeded to spit huge gobfuls of chaw into it. For three hours.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Holy crap - this happened to me too on a YYZ YVR (transcon) in Y... so just over four hours! I was at a window seat, dude was in middle seat spitting away all flight... It was nasty as nasty can be. Plus there was this nasty smell. He was from SC or GA (forgot exactly where other in that geographical area) and was on his way to Japan... that was his first time to anywhere outside dueling banjos territory...
Similar for me, but my perpetrator was seated next to me in First and was a FAM.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Similar for me, but my perpetrator was seated next to me in First and was a FAM.
How did you know?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
At least there was more separation between you and the FAM. Mine was squished next to me in Y!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: AV Diamond, TK ELP, IB Oro, AD Diamante, NZ Gold, QF Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Husband and wife duo changing in to their pyjamas on a TK flight EZEIST in the middle of the business class cabin during boarding. The man was hopping around in only his underwear trying to get his PJ pants on, his pale and plump posterior obscuring my TV in the process and coming much to close for comfort to my face.

Guy picking his nose profusely and wiping the remnants all over various parts of his seat on an NH flight HNDLHR in Business Class. For 12 hours. Surprised there wasn't brain damage.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by kiwitakingflight
Husband and wife duo changing in to their pyjamas on a TK flight EZEIST in the middle of the business class cabin during boarding. The man was hopping around in only his underwear trying to get his PJ pants on, his pale and plump posterior obscuring my TV in the process and coming much to close for comfoort to my face.

Guy picking his nose profusely and wiping the remnants all over various parts of his seat on an NH flight HNDLHR in Business Class. For 12 hours. Surprised there wasn't brain damage.

I was just thinking over the weekend I need to fly more. Then I come back to this thread. 😀
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
How did you know?
A little birdie told me.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by kiwitakingflight
Which reminds me on a UA flight ORD YYZ over 10 years ago, I was seated next to a prominent Toronto plastic surgeon in E+. He was eating a chocolate chip muffin from Starbucks while licking his fingers after every bite and wiping his licked fingers on his seat. This was after every. single. bite.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:00 am
HMO

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I was just thinking over the weekend I need to fly more. Then I come back to this thread. 😀

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.