Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's your weirdest seat-mate behavior?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your weirdest seat-mate behavior?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
From AA's contract of carriage.

"Behave appropriately and respectfully with other passengers on board"

Failing to comply

We may not let you fly (temporarily or permanently) if you:
  • Don't obey the law
  • Are uncooperative or show the potential to be uncooperative on board
  • Pose a risk to safety or security
You may also be liable for any loss, damage or expense resulting from your conduct. For example, you may be liable for the costs if we have to divert to another city because of your conduct. Failing to meet passenger responsibilities is considered a material breach of this contract.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/support/conditions-of-carriage.jsp

From Deltas

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/legal/contract-of-carriage-dgr.html

Even more restrictive

, Delta may refuse to transport or may remove passengers from its aircraft in
any of the following situations:
1) When the passenger’s conduct is disorderly, abusive or violent, or the passenger appears to
be intoxicated or under the influence of drugs;
2) When the passenger is barefoot;
3) When the passenger interferes with the flight crew’s activities, or fails to obey the instruction of
any member of the flight crew;
4) When the passenger has a contagious disease that may be transmissible to other passengers
during the normal course of the flight;
5) When the passenger is unable to sit in a seat with the seatbelt fastened;
6) When the passenger’s behavior may be hazardous or creates a risk of harm to himself/herself,
the crew, or other passengers or to the Carrier’s aircraft and/or property, or the property of other
passengers;
7) When the passenger is seriously ill, unless the passenger provides a physician's written
permission to fly; or
8) When the passenger’s conduct, attire, hygiene or odor creates an unreasonable risk of offense
or annoyance to other passengers.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Holy crap - this happened to me too on a YYZ YVR (transcon) in Y... so just over four hours! I was at a window seat, dude was in middle seat spitting away all flight... It was nasty as nasty can be. Plus there was this nasty smell. He was from SC or GA (forgot exactly where other in that geographical area) and was on his way to Japan... that was his first time to anywhere outside dueling banjos territory...
uhhh....Dueling Banjo is anywhere in SC or GA?
You want to rephrase that please?

Last edited by Allentown; Jun 6, 2018 at 5:03 pm
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
On a midday flight TPA-DTW a couple of years ago a rough looking woman who might have been attractive 20 years ago sat across the aisle. When the drink cart arrived she asked to buy two double vodkas and offered cash. When the FA explained they only took credit cards the woman said she didn't have one and became quite agitated. I handed the FA my card and said put her drinks on it. The woman drank them quickly and settled down. A few minutes later she offered to reimburse me for the drinks or we could go to the lav where she would orally show her "appreciation." I declined both and quickly put on my headphones.
Spanish likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:08 pm

I just get the same repeated guy.

Once every 10th flight or so I get the guy who is Paul Bunion sized and gets on looking like he just beat up 20 people at a Toby Keith concert.

He then puffs himself up and additional 20% taking up abour 10% of both seats next to him, squashes his seat mates into oblivion and takes both arm rests....he then proceeds to alternately glare at both seat mates with a "go ahead, make my day" stare for the entire flight.....
KDS777 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I had that guy's twin brother once...........he then proceeded to play Farmville on his laptop for the 2 hour flight.......heh.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:14 pm

Business class on El Al. Normal looking man next to me. Maybe in his mid 40s. Then before the lights dim for the night he warns me that he meditates before going to sleep. He manages to move into the legroom in front of his seat to meditate. Interesting thing --he was upside down. His head ( or the top of it) was on the floor and his legs were up, folded into a cross legged position. I didn't say anything--he wasn't in my space. He stayed in that position for around 15 minutes, then returned to a normal position, got back into his seat. Lay the seat into bed position and went to sleep!
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allentown
I just get the same repeated guy.

Once every 10th flight or so I get the guy who is Paul Bunion sized and gets on looking like he just beat up 20 people at a Toby Keith concert.

He then puffs himself up and additional 20% taking up abour 10% of both seats next to him, squashes his seat mates into oblivion and takes both arm rests....he then proceeds to alternately glare at both seat mates with a "go ahead, make my day" stare for the entire flight.....
He sat next to me on something like half my flights from the time I finished undregrad til about halfway through grad school. I fortunately haven't seen him in a while - say "Hi" to him for me.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:31 am

Don't know if this qualifies for weirdest seat mate behaviour based on the stories I've read so far but here goes..

A few months ago was flying UA : HNL -> DEN on 777. Was in window seat of emergency exit row with only a seat mate at the aisle. Initially I thought nice, I don't have someone seated directly beside me. Plane taxies to the runway, engines spool up and plane charges down the runway. At that moment my seat mate decides to play pilot by pretending to be at the controls (i.e. hand looked like it was holding the control stick and he was rotating). This proceeds for several minutes throughout the flight. FA who was on jump seat gave me looks like what's up with that dude. Fortunately, a few minutes after this episode he proceeds to fall asleep for rest of flight...until we get to landing at DEN. Where it's the exact same situation but in reverse.

Safe Travels,

James
wrp96 and Gig103 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:08 am

Rarely I get anyone cool or too fun, but I did do a seat swap with the passenger in front (aisle for aisle) and dodged a bullet. So this isn't about my seatmate, but whom would've been my seatmate. She was nice enough to swap with me so I could get the row in front with my fiance, but she ended up with two interesting passengers next to her.

1. The passengers had a language barrier, and could not communicate very well with the FAs. The guy got drunk and kept trying to order whiskey + beer, but the flight attendant cut him off. He didn't understand. I remember joking with my gf that we were going to get diverted when I felt like he was getting angry.

2. The passengers were quite heavy in odor (I'll let you guess where they're from). I could smell it in the row up front.

3. They were elderly (60s or 70s) so needed to use the restroom quite often.

I felt terrible for swapping seats, but honestly I wouldn't have wanted to be there myself.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Seatmate next to me in business class picks his teeth with toothpicks and then places the said used toothpicks in the console divider table between our seats.

He then collects the earwax from his ears with cotton swabs and places said used cotton swabs in the console divider table between our seats. His earwax flakes end up on the console.

Finger lickin' good.
Did you say anything to him?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I usually sit next to my husband. He's the only one who has his shade up when everyone else wants dark and he watches movies late at night so you can see the flickering of the screen in a dark cabin. Frustrating.

Oops... I just read the heading was weirdest. Husband is just annoying not weird. Sorry for mix up.
wrp96, MiscMel70 and mendezka like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
I once had an elderly woman in business class on a BKK to LHR flight who stood up for nearly the whole flight doing what I assume was tai chi apart from during meal service and take off / landing, she seemed very well known to the FA's but no idea who she was.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:25 am

Last year, a man who pulled out a laptop that looked to weigh 15 pounds. Plugged it in and pulls out a physical DVD of Rain Main (released 1988). Cried hysterically for 2 hours, dropping used tissues all over my seat the the floor.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I had a guy take his penis out and pee in the airsick bag and then try to hand it to the FA. The start of a biz trip from hell since the worst kept happening
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I was in a bulkhead window and an older guy and his young assistant filled out the row. The older guy was in a suit on the aisle and the assistant had a fanny pack around his prominent belly in the middle seat. Shortly into the flight the assistant reached down and produced a rotisserie chicken, which he balanced on his lap just beyond the fanny pack and the pair proceeded to demolish the chicken bare handed. It was pretty amusing and a rotisserie chicken smells good, so I enjoyed the show.
mendezka likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.