Too old to travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too old to travel?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:18 am
Suspended

My parents are 70 plus (both). I wish I get a chance to take them on a tourism trip. To jungles of Tanzania, Niagara Falls or to a cool and calm place.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by thebigben
I can only assume there are a lot of psychological factors at work, in addition to the physical.
A bout of diverticulitis that landed my father in the hospital when he came out to visit me (I live about 500 miles away) is what caused my elderly parents to decide to stop traveling before they actually became too physically frail to do it safely. And I found I couldn't blame them; being hospitalized a long way from home has got to be frightening, and of course the older you get, the more likely that scenario is to happen. Who was I to demand my parents continue do something that was honestly beginning to scare them? So I decided to start traveling to see them instead. I'm just sorry I never got the chance to treat them to a few fantastic vacations before they decided to end their traveling days. But at least they got to enjoy an Alaska cruise before that happened.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:16 pm

Airlane company's need to more. Make accommodation for airplane delays. Hotels inside the airport wouldn't hurt. it will be a temporary/ private relaxation area to rest while waiting for the flight.
Gynob001 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I definitely reached an age where I am no longer willing to fly long-haul in economy, due to creaky bones and bad back. I agree that it is really a question of health. That said, I have older relatives who I don't think should travel far by themselves due to a variety of health and cognitive issues, but still do. They always seem to make it okay - they ask for a lot of help, and are very nice about it and seem to get it - but I am expecting at some point to get a call that they were found wandering around LHR or lost somewhere.
Gynob001 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I definitely reached an age where I am no longer willing to fly long-haul in economy...
I can relate to that! Part of it is also a sense that you can't take it with you and the cost of better seats, if left to the kiddies rather than being used for our comfort, will not affect their lives in any important way. My wife and I have recently booked flights to Oz/back from NZ in business and to/from Japan in JAL's premium economy. (The BOS-NRT nonstop on a 787 is way better than any of the other options that might have been affordable in J.)
obscure2k likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by funtravel45
Airline companies need to do more. Make accommodation for airplane delays. Hotels inside the airport wouldn't hurt. it will be a temporary/ private relaxation area to rest while waiting for the flight.
That's what airline lounges are for!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:59 pm

yes but some of those seats are not comfortable
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

better than airline lounges = VIP services at airports
some private terminals have bedrooms (for commercial flights)

never too old , physical condition relates more to how one travels, vs whether one travels
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: The usual suspects
Thank you ctporter, and others like you who have been willing to help when I need it. I'm not elderly but I do have multiple sclerosis, and seemingly at random I will sometimes have difficulty walking and will fall over. Despite the complaints of callous other travelers and endless airport problems, at least 2 or 3 other people always stop and help me if I need help.

I take fewer trips now but upgrade more often. Sometimes I use a wheelchair in the airport. I take small group tours and do not sign up for any with long walks. My husband is not elderly either but he had a bad stroke and is easily disoriented. He tends to stay home and take care of our pets while I travel. Or - we go on cruises - unpack once, stay in one room (cabin) and the ship does the traveling for us. Wouldn't have been our first choice, but we have done some great charter cruises and had fun!

I'll give up my airline tickets when someone grabs them from my cold, dead hands!
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Gynob001
I am getting older. Security lines, waiting to board, uncomfortable seats, long distance travel, changing connecting flights, unfriendly and super large airports, are all taking a toll on me.
How old is too old for travel? Have you seen any passengers who shouldn't be traveling (Other factors besides just being old)?
Example-many traditional Indians wouldn't eat anything in the plane and literally starve. My father who was a severe diabetic and practically blind didn't, wouldn't eat anything during his flight (this was 30 years back when flying was much easier). A four hour delay in connecting flight practically caused a major medical emergency. I am aware that many elderly people around the world practically decided not to travel anymore, even to see their children/grandchildren.
How is it now for ailing older people?
I have a freind he's only 49 but he doesn't already leave his home/he is too big/
Old Jun 27, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I traveled the Hippie Trail in my 20's. I'm too old to do that anymore. I backpacked in Europe for six years, slept rough sometimes, never spent more than a couple of bucks on a room. My back aches just thinking about trying that now.
My experience is why I advise kids today to "take their retirement first", in their twenties. If you spend your twenties working and trade that off for traveling in your sixties, you've made a very poor trade. And if you get serious about work in your thirties, you'll have plenty of time to save up for luxury travel - soft beds, business class flights - in your sixties.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Smile

Originally Posted by rickg523
I traveled the Hippie Trail in my 20's. I'm too old to do that anymore. I backpacked in Europe for six years, slept rough sometimes, never spent more than a couple of bucks on a room. My back aches just thinking about trying that now.
My experience is why I advise kids today to "take their retirement first", in their twenties. If you spend your twenties working and trade that off for traveling in your sixties, you've made a very poor trade. And if you get serious about work in your thirties, you'll have plenty of time to save up for luxury travel - soft beds, business class flights - in your sixties.
Thats what I would say too - so happy I spent the last 20 years of my 20s and 30s travelling - some of my best memories are from travelling in my early 20s, when bedtime was not even a term, and none of them involve pretentious luxury hotels (although thanks mainly to this site for the last 18 years - some even early on involved first class flying)

Now, no longer in my 30s, I hope to have at least another 40 years of travel ahead of me! My parents are in their 60s and still travel by themselves all over the world.

Another bit of advice: Find a life companion that will share your love of travel
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The younger to start, the better. But even though one can take the bargain route, having a steady income certainly helps. Most of you have grown up through the decades where FF programs have permitted less costly travel and the enjoyment of the finer aspects of flying (and hotel stays) through miles, points and elite benefits. A few of us did not have those benefits until the mid-1980s, but that's when one could fully appreciate further afield destinations that might not have been affordable otherwise. As to how old is too old, that's got to be an individual decision based on a few facts, primarily: health, initiative and financial security. Medical travel insurance plays a major factor for anyone over 65 (where more credit card medical coverage ends) and that's tied to your overall health, and prevalence of pre-existing conditions.

So yes, see as much as you can before you hit retirement (anywhere between 60 and 70 these days, maybe younger due to national laws), but when to stop is an unanswerable le question, other than when your mind or body prevent it. Travel should be a learning process and we should never stop learning, or admitting we have nothing more to learn. It's a route to understanding others in all corners of the planet.

I've passed into my 70s and while slowing down somewhat, I've not given up (COVID aside) on getting to a few more places before I stop. While I haven't been to every country, I've been to those I've wanted to get to, often many times over. I don't really have a travel Bucket List, so when a good deal comes up, or something's happening somewhat, I'll hop a plane and go there, either using miles, points or cash. Having at least one airline alliance and hotel lifetime elite status makes life a bit easier, as is keeping a top tier elite status in a second alliance. I suppose for me, it will be when I have to order a wheelchair, it'll be time to stop anything other than visiting friends and family.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Another bit of advice: Find a life companion that will share your love of travel
Seduced by the luxuries of first and business class flights and hotel suites with lounge access, of course!
Old Jun 28, 2020, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Thats what I would say too - so happy I spent the last 20 years of my 20s and 30s travelling - some of my best memories are from travelling in my early 20s, when bedtime was not even a term, and none of them involve pretentious luxury hotels (although thanks mainly to this site for the last 18 years - some even early on involved first class flying)

Now, no longer in my 30s, I hope to have at least another 40 years of travel ahead of me! My parents are in their 60s and still travel by themselves all over the world.

My wife and I still travel all the time. Well not right now. In fact, we're doing some remodels with the 2020 travel budget - I was able to get all the prepays - airfare, rental deposits - for 3 overseas trips refunded, so we're flush this year.
but also
But I did want to say that taking at least a 21 day trip with someone will give you a pretty good indication of how much time you want to spend together. Enough things will happen in that 3 weeks to know if it's right.
rankourabu likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.