Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Too old to travel?

Too old to travel?

Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It's obviously a function of health, attitude, experience, distance and money (much easier in business class than economy). But the other factor is insurance - there's often an age limit somewhere around the mid-80s.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm 71 and not ready to quit anytime soon. Have a trip to Borneo and Indonesia in September. Back to Indonesia in Jan (fly into Sorong). Chile for the eclipse in June/ July (side trip to Easter Island). Probably to PNG for more diving in the fall of 2019. Trying to figure out how to fit in Sicily/Florence sometime soon. This doesn't include trips to see family, photo workshops, and more diving in Florida.

At my age (and having had ovarian cancer 10 years ago), I have no idea how long I will be healthy enough to fly or even alive, so I want to make the most of the time I have. Yes, TSA is a pain. Flying 30 hours is a pain. But diving and travel is well worth it.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It's obviously a function of health, attitude, experience, distance and money (much easier in business class than economy). But the other factor is insurance - there's often an age limit somewhere around the mid-80s.
Absolutely!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Yachtman
My parents are approaching their seventies. I've eventually converted them to the virtues of business class travel. I explained to them time and time again how travelling business class would benefit them since we live at opposite sides of the world, eventually I explained that if it was the case of them deciding not to travel because t was too difficult or to travel in business class less frequently than it might be possible. The last flight to the antipodes they upgraded and realised that there is a massive difference, no queues at check in, no queues at security, lounge access, much more attention onboard etc, this can make the difference for an elderly traveller.
Approaching their 70's? And you term that elderly? Are they unusually frail for their age? Ongoing medical problems? My travel buddy is well into his 70's and travels several times a year with me to compete in sporting competitions. I'm pushing 60 and was in the National team for a World Championships in France last year...
Jeez.... give them a break..... they are not that old!

The suggestion that OLDER folks might benefit more from Business class however is spot on.....
T8191 and Yachtman like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I agree it's not about age, per se, but rather health & ability. As an example, my inlaws are close in age but far apart in ability to travel. MIL has physical health issues but incorporates into her plans ways to address them. FIL has physical health issues but half the time acts like he's still 23 & in the army. When IRROPS occur, MIL is not savvy like a FTer but she's persistent; she stays engaged in working the problem until it's solved. FIL will throw up his hands after 2 minutes and wait for someone to fix it for him. ...Which, if MIL's not traveling with him, means he's going to sit there a long time.
trooper likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trooper
The suggestion that OLDER folks might benefit more from Business class however is spot on.....
Yes, it does make a difference. DH got spoiled when we upgraded with miles a few times! I think it was the endless supply of Bombay Sapphire (he never overdid it) and the ice cream sundaes. At one point, though, after a flight to EDI in Coach, he concluded that it was really getting too hard to recover from being cramped up in Coach- he was over 70, over 6 feet tall and had a creaky back. So- we cut back our TATLs but after that they were all in Business Class. He was 15 years older and I learned early on that as you age, you can still travel but you might need more expensive services (taking a private car from the airport instead of public transportation, getting a hotel very close to the action or at least to the nearest subway, etc.)
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:55 pm

As already mentioned, health, experience, and even attitude matter. For me, the end of my travel days will come early, chronologically. I have two standards, one that may be flexible, the other that I don't think will be.

First, I must be able to carry my own luggage - one bag on one shoulder, with both hands free. When I can't do that, I'm going to be thinking hard about continuing. (Then again, I once thought age 40 was ancient, so maybe I will make a concession.)

Second, I have strong preferences about where I travel on scarce funds. I've spent plenty of time in Eastern, Central and Western Europe; Asia including the subcontinent; Central and South America; the Caribbean; most of the Middle East; Oceania; I'm not interested in going back. I have no interest in Africa-for-Tourists. So, what's left is tougher travel. (I know this because I've already spent much of the past three decades in non-tourist Africa.) Exposure to nasty disease, absence of good medical facilities, lots of operational hazards... I will soon be too old for all of that and travel will simply lose its appeal. That'll be sad.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Athena53
I learned early on that as you age, you can still travel but you might need more expensive services (taking a private car from the airport instead of public transportation, getting a hotel very close to the action or at least to the nearest subway, etc.)
Yes! This is the sort of thing I was referring to when I mentioned that my mother-in-law travels well in her late 70s by making plans that accommodate her needs. For example, to avoid knee pain she spends up for business class or at least premium economy where she can stretch her legs comfortably. To minimize lifting heavy weights she checks a suitcase, even on shorter trips, and takes only what's most important in a small carry-on. Like you, she spends for door-to-door car or van service rather than lug her bags around on public transit. She checks connection times when booking to avoid short connections; she knows she's much too old to dash through the terminal. She books only mid-range or better hotels; no cheapo motels with their often saggy or lumpy beds. Some might scoff at this as having expensive tastes, but for her it's the difference between being able to travel (and function when she arrives!) or not.
trooper and KBRDU like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I don't know the answer to the question but I'm sure when I'm too old I'll know it. The general nature of air travel hasn't dissuaded me yet.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
My mother is 84 and Executive Platinum on AA. We just spent four days hiking in Yellowstone with my 24 year old niece. We are travelling to Iceland later this month and she is looking forward to hiking to waterfalls.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
“Fit to fly” or ability to travel is NOT age related. Full stop.

A 20-something person with significant developmental delays, another at 40 with stage 4 Early Onset Alzheimer’s disease, etc. can’t travel alone or without assistance either, and there are physical challenges as well.

“Travelability” is a very individual issue, and there are often ways to cope. In some cases it entails contacting the airline for some assistance, such as wheelchairs, pre-boarding, an airline’s special services, etc. Some might require a travel companion. In others, Travel may be too challenging and must be avoided, or restricted by mode or distance of travel. If one is unsure, the best thing might be to schedule an appointment with a physician specializing in travel medicine, bringing Medical and prescription information.
obscure2k and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 14, 2018 at 7:39 am
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:08 am
Suspended

I'm sorry to hear this. This seriously has to be brought to the light. Airlines, security, flight attendants, etc. can do better.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:45 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Brian Hart
I'm sorry to hear this. This seriously has to be brought to the light. Airlines, security, flight attendants, etc. can do better.
Welcome to Flyertalk, Brian Hart
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
For us I believe it is a combination of desire to travel, and ability to travel well.

We both have the desire to travel, and as soon as my low battery ICD is replaced, I will have the ability to leave the country again. Plans are already made and booked, actually the same trip in 2 different time frames because of the battery uncertainty.

About 10 years ago when we got seriously into world travel we knew we would not be willing to be budget travelers. Air travel has to be either business or first, hotels 4 star and cruise ships, at a minimum, must have decent space and a good balcony. We book drivers and have used several of them repeatedly. We prefer private drivers and private guides. We don't do group tours unless it is a very small group.

When the time comes that I don't have culture shock when I get home, it will be time for me to quit traveling.

We are very fortunate that we can do this, but travel is our only real splurge.
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by Jeannietx; Sep 28, 2018 at 7:13 pm Reason: correction
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:16 pm

Get wheelchair assistance and whisk thru any airport. My 83 yr/old mom does around 10 long hauls in coach/year without issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.