Too old to travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too old to travel?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2020, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Another bit of advice: Find a life companion that will share your love of travel
Nice, but not absolutely necessary. When my life companion retired, he retired to the couch and stayed there. That didn't stop me, though. I can always find someone to go with me - as long as I'm paying! LOL

Age and, to a reasonable extent, physical condition should not be factor if the siren song of travel is still calling to you. I've probably seen more exotic locales in the past ten years than I did in the first 60 plus years of my life. And I'd be out there traveling today if it weren't for this pandemic. Sure I need a wheelchair in large sprawling airports, and long hikes are definitely out of the question, but I don't see why that should stop me from visiting the places I want to visit.
obscure2k and StartinSanDiego like this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Too old to travel? John Glenn made a Space Shuttle viat to orbit at the age of 77.
obscure2k and StartinSanDiego like this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 3:19 am

My mom loves to travel, she's 65 years old but she can't afford it, unfortunately
Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm very curious (two years later) how someone can "literally starve" on a flight. (starve - "suffer severely or die from hunger")

That's one long flight.

Fwiw, my grandmother flew to my uncle's house for the holidays well into her 90's.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The only issue with travelling in old age is the availability of travel insurance. It starts to get prohibitive from about 80 apparently.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The only issue with travelling in old age is the availability of travel insurance. It starts to get prohibitive from about 80 apparently.
That's definitely a good reason to do your bucket list international trips earlier in life before travel insurance gets prohibitively expensive (or is just plain unavailable at any price). Medicare's good anywhere in the US, but it's useless outside of it. Fortunately there are many places in the Us that are well worth visiting, so an 80+ year old traveler who can't afford travel medical still has plenty of great options to choose from!
Old Sep 22, 2021, 10:53 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by obscure2k
TSA has made screening easier on seniors. At age 75, shoes, belts and light outerwear no longer have to be removed.
I hope from a security perspective that is not TSA's policy.

Whilst I applaud assisting seniors and making the screening process easier on them, the whole idea of screening is it is supposed to be unpredictable.

There should not be a pattern to anything. Indeed ICAO even demands Contracting States to the Chicago Convention (of which the US is one) incorporate randomness into screening operations.

If seniors are allowed to pass through checkpoints without sometimes having to remove shoes, it is pretty obvious to someone with ill intent that at an airport with just archway metal detectors for scanning persons, a non-metallic prohibited article can be transported into the airport's restricted area simply by placing it in a senior's shoe!

Far better to screen all people equally but perhaps offer a chair to any elderly passengers.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by cargueiro
I hope from a security perspective that is not TSA's policy.

Whilst I applaud assisting seniors and making the screening process easier on them, the whole idea of screening is it is supposed to be unpredictable.

There should not be a pattern to anything. Indeed ICAO even demands Contracting States to the Chicago Convention (of which the US is one) incorporate randomness into screening operations.

If seniors are allowed to pass through checkpoints without sometimes having to remove shoes, it is pretty obvious to someone with ill intent that at an airport with just archway metal detectors for scanning persons, a non-metallic prohibited article can be transported into the airport's restricted area simply by placing it in a senior's shoe!

Far better to screen all people equally but perhaps offer a chair to any elderly passengers.
Ah, I can see you are not elderly!! Trust me, simply offering those of us over 75 a chair so we can remove our shoes isn't going to help make traveling any safer and it's definitely going to make going through security a whole lot slower. Not to mention that many of us elderly cannot go through metal detectors anyway because of metal hips, knees, spinal fusions, etc. so it would be possible for your "someone with ill intent" to place a prohibited article elsewhere on the body other than a shoe.

I don't know if any statistics on this have been kept, but I strongly doubt that many (if any) would-be terrorists, hijackers or smugglers are over the age of 75. There might be some, I concede, but I haven't heard of any making the news. We're more likely to die of natural causes on an airplane than hijack it.
obscure2k, farci and mmff like this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
I have a great aunt and uncle who still travel and he's 91 and she's 88. Both are in decent health albeit have knee/hip replacements. They no longer rent a car when they travel to a new city and primarily rely on Uber as well as prearranged transportation. They strictly fly on paid business class as the extra comfort and room is no longer just a luxury but almost a necessity. They stay in 4+ star hotels that have a concierge that can arrange tours or activities for them.

Travel should never be restricted to age...as one gets older you simply have to change your ways a bit in how you execute travel plans.
corky, wrp96 and StartinSanDiego like this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 1:20 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Travel young.....travel often. Lifetime status......priceless.
GUWonder, obscure2k and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
On a cruise with my mom right now. This is the last cruise together. Possibly the last flights. I cherish the memories that we’ve made together but we’ve reached the point where this is too stressful for both of us. We will search for vacations close to home in the future.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.