Reload this Page >

Too old to travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too old to travel?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:43 am

One of my first long distance solo trips was my first flight to the Caribbean. Trinidad and Tobago via Surinam we had a delay at the gate due to a broken toilet. We were stuck in a non air conditioning building in Surinam for hours because the flight leaving before us had issues boarding. (It wasn't the usual terminal they were renovating that) the only shop had closed before we arrived it had just rained and the air had bypassed just humid and felt more liquid. It was February and we left Amsterdam at sub zero Celsius. All this gave me a massive migraine and in those days I didn't have good medication for those attacks.
By the time we landed in Tobago the ground crews told us our plane should not have landed there this late anymore. The plane hadn't stocked the forms we needed to fill out for the border crossing, we were told the Martin air ticket counter crew would find us rooms but found out they'd closed up and left long before we landed and I was so overwhelmed.
I was a student in my early twenties, full blown migraine with aura no hotel and no plans having missed my connection to Trinidad where a cousin would have picked up. A good dozen young male cab drivers swarmed me the Minute I left the airport. I'm still thankful for the sole female cab driver who offered me not only to drive me but to take me to a cheap hotel the locals would use (- and meant it, I ended up in a cheap hotel the locals I know did use). It was kinda pre wifi and smartphone access everywhere.
While I didn't feel too old boy did I feel to young and inexperienced that day. And I dreaded the trip home something fierce. Especially as the international leg on that flight flew once a week.

What I'm trying to say don't let a single experience make you stop travelling because troubles on one trip made you feel old. I felt like I shouldn't do something like that again at the time. I still travel all over Europe and transatlantic on my own!
Sometimes for shorter trips we travel as friends or family and I still admit those trips have a lure but I like doing my own thing too
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

VIP service or buggy helps at airport

if award travel, nonstop in first class
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:37 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
It would not be age per se, but health and fitness.

Health: Someone with health issues requiring daily scheduling, assistance from others, and/or difficult to transport medical equipment may have more difficulty with travel.

Fitness: Someone who has difficulty walking through an airport (sometimes running to make a tight connection or after a delay in security or elsewhere on the ground) and handling his/her own baggage may find that travel is more time consuming and difficult than otherwise.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
When one of my aunts had a 90th birthday party in Tucson a few years back, her big sister flew in from Chicago to be there. It's impossible to generalize.

That said, after I turned 75 I became much more willing to pay for business class seats when miles and status didn't get me (and my travel companion) upgraded.
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
We have found that instead of flying NYC to London it is much more comfortable to take Queen Mary 2, and certainly less expensive. We have the time, so why not.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:54 am

The first message given by an older (85+) friend is: if you like to travel, do it anytime you can as one can't predict when circumstances change. She had a stroke and is now unable, but is thrilled that she took
a trip to Paris last year.

When a family member had given up on travel, I booked a trip for her on a River Cruise to get one more trip under her belt. I insisted on a wheel chair upon arrival and J class flights. Walking to immigration would have taken forever and put us at the back of the line. I was totally impressed
by river cruising as an option for older travelers - they will feel very at home with the demographic and the pace and tours are very well suited to making an older traveler comfortable.. She liked it so much that
another is on the docket, with some relief more trips to Europe are possible. And, while I had no desire to be on a river cruise, I was really surprised by how enjoyable it was.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
My Dad, who's 87 and in an Independent Living community, said a 92-year old resident just left to fly to Greece for a cruise around the islands.

I think I better tell my financial advisor to run the projections out past age 90, which is where past versions have stopped (but with $$ left in 98% of the cases, fortunately). I can always hope!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Bonvoy, Choice, IHG
My 80 year old MIL recently flew to Boston for two weeks to attend her brother in law's funeral/celebration of life. She asked for wheelchair assistance in the terminals because she walks with a cane. She had a fabulous time with family and friends. Age is a number. Go with how you feel and enjoy the time you have left.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I plan to travel until I am too frail to be able to. The only thing I can see stopping me, is the ability to buy travel insurance, typically age 75 appears to be a cut off for regular policies.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Mickidon
The first message given by an older (85+) friend is: if you like to travel, do it anytime you can as one can't predict when circumstances change. .
We do that now. if we hear someone we know is sick we think, it could be us, we better go away before we can no longer physically do it.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ctporter
There was a Chinese woman traveling from PSC to SEA to PEK. I was scheduled on her PSC SEA flight, and was at the GA stand waiting to talk to the GA bout changing my seat. PSC is a small station where the GA also meets the flight (guides plane in, rolls up stairs, runs the yellow safety tape, etc) This poor woman was thinking she had missed her flight (it was about 15-20 minutes late) and kept showing her boarding pass and her phone (she wanted them to talk to her son who could tell her what was going on). It was obvious she was scared and the poor GA kept trying to reassure her she was fine, her connections were ok - she had plenty of time in SEA to get to her DL gate, but the woman just did not understand and grew visibly upset when the GA explained she had to leave to greet the plane. So, I stepped in and talked to her son, explained what was going on and told him I would walk her to her gate at SEA (SEA was my final destination and I was planning on taking an Uber home so I had lots of time to do this) and he translated that to her. So was obviously very relieved. I even called DL to ask if someone speaking mandarin would be at SEA and if I could bring her over to them if so. They made a note on her record about possibly needing a translator. Once we got over to the A gates she asked a young man if he spoke mandarin, he did, and he offered to take her to her plane as it turns out he was on her flight too. Because others have helped me out when I have been lost I make it a point to try to help others as much as I can. Airports can be confusing even to experienced travellers!
Great. And some posters won't even lend a pen to a fellow traveler....
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catcher1
Great. And some posters won't even lend a pen to a fellow traveler....
That's it! That's the key right there. Some people just don't see them as "fellow travelers" at all. They see others as obstacles or, in more extreme cases, competitors. Or if it tips into sociopathy, they see others as objects to be exploited, or ignored.
This is baked in imprinted behavior. No one is changing anyone else's mind about this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
It's nice to be able to read some other people's perspective. My grandmother stopped flying at the age of 82 despite being in good health, and having flown a lot over the years. I will try to offer to go with her somewhere sometime, but she's quite stubborn so I'm not sure that even the offer of business class tickets would make her move

I can only assume there are a lot of psychological factors at work, in addition to the physical.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
I had an aunt who traveled on merchant "tramp" ships and stayed in hostels well into her 80s. She never had much money and lived very frugally but she knew how to make good use of what she had.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by Athena53
"Prepare for battlefield conditions"- sad, but what a perfect phrase! I mentally gird my loins every time I enter an airport. How long is the TSA line? Is the flight still posted on time? What are my chances of making/missing my connection? Have I denuded myself of all sharp and pointy objects? Did I forget, and wear the bra with the underwires that trips up the metal detector?

My brother took Dad on a golfing tour of Scotland when Dad was probably in his late 60s or early 70s. I'm guessing it was Business Class because my brother gets a lot of FF miles and status from business travel. Dad had flown a lot in the 1950s/1960s before deregulation and he was pretty shocked at what chaos it had become. The last time my parents attempted to fly, it was a nonstop from CLT to CMH (Columbus, OH) for a cousin's wedding when they were maybe 80 and 81. They were moved from Plane #1 to Plane #2 because of a mechanical problem. Guess what- Plane #2 had the same problem (same aircraft type). They got off THAT plane and the airline wanted to route them through DCA. My parents said no, and went home. I didn't blame them.
I find it very hard to recognize any airports I have used in the last 30 years of so as a battlefield, OK transiting Beijing last month was no fun, and any US airport is a PIA, but I think this is over egging the pudding. I am 60 and travel often and all over, these days often Y,
and do not feel I am an older traveler.

Its a mind set more than anything, and a bit of planning, then its really not a big deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.