Wiki Posts
Search

Have you driven after long flight ?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Have you driven after long flight ?

Hi,
I will be flying from Seattle to Munich (total 13 hours, including 1 hour stop). After reaching Munich at 16:10, I would want to reach Fussen, which is 160 KM. This is not a big distance, less than 2 hours.
Driving same day, instead of staying near airport, would save me good time.
What is your experience ?
Thanks
Old May 20, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Yeah, lots of times actually.

It's no problem for me, as you are usually walking around a bit post flight, and become relaxed/refreshed very easily. A 2-4 hour drive is fine.

YMMV.

Last edited by KDS777; May 20, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Old May 20, 2018, 12:13 pm

I would say no biggie iv taken the car after leaving the airport a tonne of times, aslong as your not literally passing out standing up you will be fine, if you feel tired stop a rest stop and take a quick nap. Dont risk driving tired.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I think. I should be fine.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:24 pm

depends in part on how well you sleep on the plane. We pretty much have it down to an art through use of sleeping pills and usually hit the ground running.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
I’ve taken 12+ hour flights into MUC and then driven 3 or more hours dozens of times. The autobahn thrill still provides extra adrenaline, that probably helps :-)

Most of the time I’m perfectly fine with my traditional coffee break, but sometimes I’ll stop for a little nap.

It’s no big deal, just listen to your body and give it a break when it’s time.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:43 pm

Yes but I usually have someone with me
Old May 20, 2018, 6:26 pm

Do it all the time, as majority of time I end up flying to Asia out of YVR which is 2-3 hours away from my home.

I hate driving after a long flight, but how well I cope depends on a few variables.

My flights to YVR are usually from TYO, TPE or HKG. TPE and some of the HKG flights land in the evening, but I also will have slept more on those flights since those are all red-eye. Some of the CX flights and all the TYO flights arrive in the middle of the day with plenty of sunlight left, but I also may not have slept as much on those flights. So then my 2-3 hour drive ends up being either very tired but during the day, or somewhat tired and at night. Neither one is ideal. But driving in the dark (latter) is just more hairy. I think the ideal thing to do is to just check into a hotel after the flight and drive the next day. But I usually work the day after the arrival, so I don't have that option.
Old May 20, 2018, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Chris Ratcha Maltman
I would say no biggie iv taken the car after leaving the airport a tonne of times, aslong as your not literally passing out standing up you will be fine, if you feel tired stop a rest stop and take a quick nap. Dont risk driving tired.
Welcome to Flyertalk, Chris Ratcha Maltman. I agree with not risking driving tired. I would also be concerned about alcohol consumption on a long flight and then driving.
Jeannietx and Duke787 like this.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
After SIN-CHC 10h flight in economy had driven to Arthur Pass which was 2.5h driver. Not much a problem, even did 3h hike after arrival.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I usually don't drive after a ~10 hour flight. I would just stay at an airport hotel nearby.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
The issue is here is that fatigue effects us all differently and minor changes in circumstance can make every situation unique. Sometimes I arrive from a 13 hour flight perfectly fine, other times using the same flight I arrive and wouldn't feel safe driving, particularly on unfamiliar roads.
I think with any situation like that you have to be sensible and honest with yourself; if you arrive and don't feel fit to drive, than check in to the nearest hotel/motel and swallow the cost as an investment in your life/health/safety. If you feel fit, then carry on and take the 160km drive with caution.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I once flew PRG-ATL-SLC, arriving in SLC at 11:00pm and rented a car to drive to RNO (8 hours). There was a weather delay in ATL that caused me to miss the last RNO flight and Delta offered the same flight 24 hours latter or a connection via LAX and Fresno (on United?? can't recall). I drove all night and got to Reno about 7:30am.

I was still on Prague time, had slept well on the plane and I-80 from SLC to RNO is an easy road with little traffic.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I once flew PRG-ATL-SLC, arriving in SLC at 11:00pm and rented a car to drive to RNO (8 hours). There was a weather delay in ATL that caused me to miss the last RNO flight and Delta offered the same flight 24 hours latter or a connection via LAX and Fresno (on United?? can't recall). I drove all night and got to Reno about 7:30am.

I was still on Prague time, had slept well on the plane and I-80 from SLC to RNO is an easy road with little traffic.
That's insane. It may be an easy road with little traffic, but you're more likely to get sleepy behind the wheel on a boring freeway out in nowhere, in the middle of night no less. Not to mention you may have a long stretch of nothing-ness, could be >half-hour before the next coffee, next rest area.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: LH M+M
My rule: If I had some sleep on the plane and I dont catch a single yawn at the luggage belt or any other queue, I am good to go (for ~50km back then).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.